Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Tell me about yourself/your game!

A topic by That`s Boring created Aug 05, 2019 Views: 2,228 Replies: 147
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 58 · Next page · Last page
Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

I'd love to get a better view of who all of you are, as well as how you came up with your game idea. Share something about yourself, whether it be something personal or trivial. If you post your game I'll probably even take a look and rate.

My story is that this is my first game jam and also my first ever finished game. I've made small projects here and there for over a year, but my primary interest has always been art, programming is fun but doesn't come to me as naturally. Lately life's been a little rough, as a close friend of mine is going through some bad stuff that I can't really help her with. I'm doing my best to be there for her though and she and I are gonna go for lunch tomorrow.

while your here, feel free to check my game out as well!

https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/463838

Submitted

Sure! I was originally going to make a mixology game where the objective was to create this one drink that wouldn't immediately poison whoever drinks it - because you're a New York bartender in a seedy part of town suffering with a medieval curse - but on the last day of the jam all my files corrupted and I lost everything lmao 

I was planning at that point to give up and not enter anything because I had a long shift at work that day, but while I was there I had an idea for a game I could put together in the three hours I'd have available called Decrafted, where the objective is to do the inverse of a crafting game - craft until you go down to only one item so that you win!

It's kinda buggy but the premise is there and the core systems work and I'm happy I was able to enter something despite the odds, and here it is: https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/463986

I'm glad you managed to finish something too! I'm sorry things haven't been great, but I'm sure there's something better around the corner. I'll check out your game real fast :)

Submitted(+1)

Oh damn, sorry about the file corruption. You did a really good job all things concidering though! I really enjoy your game, rated generously :)

Submitted(+1)

Hey, it happens. I'm just happy I managed to finish something in time :) I appreciate it, I loved yours too! your art style is so cool :)

Submitted(+1)

Thank you! This certainly isn't my primary medium, I'm mostly a traditional artist, but I'm not unhappy with what I managed to create in only two days

(2 edits)

Hello everyone, I'm student who studies programming. This was my second GameJam in first one i was programming, and in this one I started to draw pixel art. I'm working with small team on virtual reality game that some day maybe will be on steam. I love art and programming I was never thinking that I will create art for games but here I am. We worked in this game jam for full two days with some sleep. I started learning game development because of one event GameOn.  This Game jam idea come from joking about waking up  in messy rom and finding player second shoe. In Lithuania there are people saying, there was two boots, one gone and I cant find it.

Of course you can check my and my friend game as well.

https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/463156

Submitted

Those spiders will surely be in my nightmares. I really enjoy you game, and keep working on those art skills, you've got something there for sure

Submitted

Learning about game development for 3 months and this is my first jam!

Game is a platformer, where the power-ups are overpowered sonce they put another 1 to the existing point of yours, which is 1 :D So you can become uncontrollable, but you gain score like that as well. So you need to choose wisely, kind of a puzzle. I hope you like it!

https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/462865

Submitted

Hey friend! I'm sorry but it seems my game freezes as soon as I hit the first power up.. Is this a problem others are experiencing as well?

Submitted

Two people had it i think. I dont know why but it happenes to some people. I am sorry. It can be happening because of the installer i use.

Submitted

Ah, sorry i couldn’t play your game :(

Submitted

it is my shame, no problem

Submitted (1 edit)

[My story]
Start game dev/indie dev for near 3 years now, I have never been in the industry. All of my skills are self-taught.
This is my 8th GameJam I think...And I still very enjoy being in a Jam...I always inspired by the games and the title of a jam. Actually, I continue developing one of my Gamejam game and put it on Steam. Now it is the only income of mine. BTW, if you are interested, the game names "LoveChoice".

I think my game can be not fun at all but at least they should be meaningful and not wasting the players' time. I am quite happy about the game I make this time.

[My game]

https://akabastudio.itch.io/only-one-way

Play it and rate it if you will.

Submitted

Interesting game there! 8th jam you say? that's awesome. I'm looking forward to your future projects for sure

Submitted

Fun fact about me: I've never entered a game jam before! I've never even made an honest-to-goodness video game before, at least not since I was a kid. I love the topic of game-making and have always wanted to give it a try, so when I saw this jam was going on, I decided to hop on an old program I have on my computer (Clickteam Fusion) and throw something together.

I study graphic design at school, so it was super fun using my design knowledge in this game. I'm pretty happy with the visuals (they remind me a bit of "Papers, Please" in some odd way).  Unfortunately, I got started a full day late, so I hardly had time for actual level design after the main programming was done. This resulted in some balancing issues and a few pretty impossible levels :(

My game is called "Echolocation" - it's a puzzler where you can only navigate using your sense of hearing. Check it out :)

Submitted

Wow dude, your game is awesome! I really like it. Didn't play through all levels right now, but I'll get on it after writing this. Totally awesome.

Submitted

Hey there! Me and my friend decided to join this game jam to have some fun, and ended up with a game we're pretty proud of! I had never really used Unity before so this was sort of a first time experience, but I had gotten used to it fast. My friend has been using Unity for a while so he did a lot of stuff that I couldn't do fast and without many bugs.

Here's a link to our game if you want to check it out!

https://corecrypt.itch.io/space-to-dash

Submitted

You've nailed a certain feeling in this game friend! Gotta love Unity's accessebility

Submitted

My story is thatI was a very closed person and I didn't use to talk to others or having a social life, but then I understood that I should have tried to give a meaning to my life because anyway I have to live, so at least I want to live it well. Since I had some particular problems talking to girls, I decided that i would have talked to a girl I saw on the bus that looked alone. I didn't do it for a long time, I was too scared, but my desire to talk to her made me fall in love with her even though i didn't know her. It took me four months to be brave enough, but when I was finally there, I forgot the important detail that I never talked to a girl that way before, so the only thing that I said was that I was in love with her. Of course it went wrong and we never talked again. But yeah, here's my game: https://ostrich-dog.itch.io/one-bullet I think it's kinda fun, I'll play yours now

Submitted

Your game is simple but really addicting and fun man! I'm really sorry about what happened with the girl, rejection sucks, but keep at it friend! Work on yourself and keep moving and you'll find your person for sure.

Submitted(+1)

I surely hope so. Thanks for trying my game, yours is very fun too

Submitted

hello, I'm a game dev student in Canada. My game is a puzzle/stealth game. I don't want to give anything away so I'll just leave it at that. I hope you enjoy playing it 

https://ftwrahul.itch.io/i-exist

Submitted

Fun and interesting game! Those enemies are scary fast, the panic when they start chasing. I can roll with you being a private person, no need to share more than we want with strangers right? That in and of itself can be quite telling haha

Submitted

haha it's not that I don't want to share. Id love to talk about myself but idk if anyone wants to hear that. I don't want to talk about the game however because I don't want to influence how players go through it in any way :p

Thank you for playing tho. Im happy to hear feedback 😊

Submitted

I mean, I did specifically ask about you as well! But yeah, not telling about the game can be a smart move

Submitted

I got into programming when I was 10, when I used a website called Scratch to make games using a drag-and-drop tool. I stayed there for a long while but wouldn't learn how to actually program a real game until 2 years ago when I tried out Unity and made my first attempt at a real game that got cancelled halfway. Now I use Godot to make games, and discovered that game jams are really fun! I've participated in 4 until this one and that's basically all I use Itch for. I'm working on a bigger game but I only work on it when I feel like it.

I came up with my game for the jam way before the theme was announced, a one-button platformer seemed like a good idea, so when the theme was announced of course I was excited because I would finally be able to make it! I had to finish the game way earlier because I would not be home for the final day of jam, so it's pretty rough around the edges and unbalanced towards the end, but I really liked how it turned out, the difficulty and how the main character and the music work together.

Here it is: https://fupicat.itch.io/nowhere-but-forward

Submitted(+1)

Oh I remember scratch! They tried to teach my class that in eight grade (yes, eight, not first). Your game was hard to get at first but it turned out to be a really novel idea!

Submitted(+1)

Dude when I was like 11 a teacher of mine had me teach a class of high schoolers to use Scratch to make a game.

Turns out eight graders can't teach and high schoolers don't care about kids toys lol

Submitted (1 edit)

Me and my friend just finished our Swedish gymasium education with a focus on game development (Upper secondary school in american school system), and we had kinda just made som trash games the first year, and then moved on to more technical stuff for 2nd and 3rd year. My friend proposed we tried to join this gamejam and just make a god damn game with Unity (instead of making tools for games that will never be used) and we had some incredible fun just making a game that we'd never had before from just developing something. Our game design skills we got from school was finally used and put to test.

This is our first gamejam and if I may say so myself the game turned out pretty damn neat.

It can be found here if you wanna check it out:

https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/463435#post-843827

Edit: If you're gonna check out the game, read my comments in the comment section.

Submitted

Unfortunatley I don't have a friend avalable atm, but your game seems really cool; I'll make sure to get back to it with a pal at my side. Is education in game dev something you'd personally recommend? I know a lot of people here are self taught, do you have an opinion on that?

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Well it's hard to say because it depends on what teacher you get. I happened to get a teacher in game design that was really good at teaching us to be creative and come up with ideas ourselves which I think has been really helpful and made us see games & game design in another way. I do however think that being self taught can be just as good, but an education could at least give a little boost and be a great way to get you started (as that is the hardest part for a lot of people, which it was for me).

Submitted

Ok I'm off to bed, but if anyone stumbles on to this thread please make a post and I'll make sure to check it out tomorrow!

Submitted (2 edits)

Hi Guys, 

I'm a French people who live in Lyon. I'm an engineer who work in supply chain for 10 years. I just begin to learn game development for the fun in the beginning of the years. 

This was my first Jam, and I really like it. 

My game is a fast platformer in black and white pixels art. My goal in this one was to make a dynamic game with some die and retry mechanical  and a little bit of observation... but not frustrated. 

I hope I made my goal and you will like it

You can try it on : https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/460819

Submitted

Hey there! Fun game you've made. really fast paced. I vacationed in France a couple weeks ago; lived in a tiny village in the north. I took a train to Paris over a day and found the big city very charming, but a bit crowded

Submitted(+1)

Thanks dude. I will play yours tonight after the work. 

About your vacation, I thought you make a good choice to go in the north, I hope you like it. 

And for Paris, I lived in a couple years ago. I'm totally agree with you about this city ;) 

Submitted

Hi Boring

I guess I started to pick up how to develop when I joined a society in my Uni which was about game making. More often than not I wouldn't actually be able to get to their meetings (it was on a Saturday...) but Unity remained on my computer and I gradually taught myself how to use it. 

As for my game when I heard the theme the idea came to me to see if I could shove a (semi) complex control scheme into a single button. I wasn't actually sure if I'd be able to get anything out for the jam because I've never actually done anything like this before and I wasn't even sure what I wanted to make, but somehow I got something out by basically improvising as I went, using my own cruddy art skills as a base for the graphical direction (the goddamn wheel took about 3 hours to make; I kept trying to find suitable images on the internet but nothing really fit so eventually I just gave up and drew it myself using piskel...). I was actually pretty happy with the final result (obligatory self-plug).

https://interrim.itch.io/boel

Submitted

Super interesting game! The wheel mechanic is such an original idea, and regarding the art, it could definatley have been worse. If you're making something else sometime, feel free to hit me up if you'd like some help in the art department

Submitted

Okay sure. I might also be able to help you out if you were going to try something like this again (on the programming side).

Submitted

I’ll probably take you up on that! cheers!

Submitted

Hey! Thanks for making this post. I played your game and left some feedback on the submission page, but I forgot to mention a few things:

I loved the sound FX and the simple art style of your game. Also, as tough as programming may seem, I think you did an awesome job, especially for your first completed game ever! I didn't find any bugs, and the game ran completely smoothly! Also, I know I have really no way of knowing what you're going through, but I just want to say I'm sorry to hear your friend is going through some tough stuff. It can feel awful to be unable to help someone close to you with what they're going through, but I'm sure your friend really appreciates you!

As for me: I've been making games for a few years now. I usually make melee combat-focused games that are on the "very-difficult" side of things. With this game jam, I wanted to do something completely different, game-mechanics wise. I've always been really into writing and producing music, so I decided to lean into that and  make a rhythm game for the first time!  I've always been more of a programmer, and also usually bad at art, so I guess we're kind of opposites haha. That said, I worked really hard on the small amount of art in my game, and I think it came out pretty passable!

I had an absolute blast making my game this jam, if you want to give it a try feel free to check it out: https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/462268.

Thanks again for submitting your game, and thank you for making this post. It's weird, all of us doing this jam probably have a lot in common, but we rarely hear a lot about the people behind these games. I don't know a lot of people who make games in person, but in these jams, we're among a ton of people that are all interested in the same hobby! 

Submitted

I do love a good ryhtm! Really fun and quirky game, I found it harder than I thought I would though (in a good way). My intention with this post was to get a better veiw of the community and to give us all chance to feel like a part of something. As you said, there are thousands of people here who all have an interest in common, and it can be hard to find game devs irl. Also, thanks a lot for your kind and helpful review

Submitted

Wasn't sure if we were gonna be able to do this jam, but this is my first one and we were able to go into it! This was my last weekend before heading off to college, so I was super excited to do a project this fun and intensive with some of my friends before heading off :). When the theme was announced, I knew pretty quickly that I wanted to do a puzzle platformer. I wrote down the common mechanics of a platformer to see which one I would like to reduce to one, initially wrote off jumping, but after about 20 minutes I was like wait, that could actually be very interesting!

This is a puzzle platformer where you get one jump. It starts off pretty simple, but quickly starts to ramp up after my favorite mechanic is added - switched/2 state blocks! With portals, springs, 2 state blocks with levers, moving platforms, and most frightening of all, stairs, there are tons of interesting puzzles (around 25ish iirc :D) Level 7 became unsolvable late in the cycle (which is a shame because it was my favorite puzzle). Apologies about that, but you should be able to glitch through it.

This was my first game ever completed and aside from that minor hiccup, I'm super proud of this game and really did enjoy making and playing it :)!

https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/461728

Submitted

Fantastic game! This was kind of the thing I was gonna go for when I started on my game, but level design isn't my strong suit. You nailed the design element here, I'm really interested in your thought process when creating these levels on such a short time span. If you don't mind sharing I'd also love to know what you're going to study in collage

Deleted 3 years ago
Submitted

I've actually already played and rated your game! I found it very enjoyable so don't worry :) If you ever need any art consultation on your big game I'd be happy to assist, and make sure to hit me up when it's finished

Deleted 3 years ago
Submitted (4 edits)

I'm a maths student who started using the pure functional language Elm for game development.
While I was programming one game over another, I notice that I could abstract away the core of the game into its own game engine.

This game jam was not only my first, but i also wanted to use it to stress test my engine. I wanted to focus on that for the next two days. At least that was the plan.

We'll as life can be I meet a girl just a few days prior, and so I decided I would spend more time with her than programming the game.

So I started writing very generic stuff while I was waiting for the topic to drop: A game editor, a very simple way to change the behaviour of objects and so on. The actual Game Jam began at midnight and the next day I would be with my date... well the date went a bit over time and so, at the end i just had 3 more hours left before the jam ended and still no proper game yet. But the game editor did its job. I had implemented the mechanics in about 30minutes and spend two more hours for the levels.

https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/461762

All in all, I could test my game engine and even add new features like an object manager or a game editor to it. I would call it a success. (also I got the girl, so that part of the story also turned out perfect)

Submitted

Your own engine? that's impressive! Your game is impressive as well, really good design. And hey, congrats on getting the girl!

Submitted
Deleted 3 years ago
Submitted(+1)

The idea of only being able to chose one ability and react in a short amount of time is really fun and original. I'm sure the future holds great things for you friend! Learning to program is hard, I know that from personal experience hah

Submitted

Hello everyone, I'm a student currently in Year 12 and I want to study Game Design when I go to uni. I started making games six years ago when I was a kid on Scratch for a few years. One of my games called Minimals got featured on their website and really encouraged me to keep pursuing game development. When I reached grade 8 I moved from Scratch to Unity where I learned to make better games but I didn't really produce anything really publish-worthy until last year, when I started working on my first big game called Avarice. After a year of development I finally released Avarice around April of this year and ever since I've been looking to get more involved within the game development community (such as participating in game jams) however due to exams and assignments, I haven't really been able to. Finally, I found out that one of my favourite game design related youtube channels, GMTK, were hosting a game jam and that I would be able to participate. My game is called One Shot In The Chamber, a wave based survival game where you must fight off hordes of enemies with the catch being, you have only one bullet. Fortunately, the bullet is magic and you can summon it back to you or teleport to it. Using this unique ability, you must survive as long as possible in the chamber. Here is a screenshot of the game and the link to the game page: https://mark-auman.itch.io/one-shot-in-the-chamber

Submitted

A prodigy huh? Yeah I can tell. Your game has great game feel and is super responsive, My one critique might be that the bullet can be shot outside of the stage, which makes it impossible to collect. I really like it though and wouldn't have noticed this issue if I didn't play it for a good while. I'll definatley check out Averice as well

Submitted

You can retrieve the bullet by right clicking

Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 58 · Next page · Last page