Hi there, I bought the game on steam and played it 8 hours straight. After 6 hours it stopped being fun. So here are the things that at the end stopped me from continuing:
- I'm colour-blind. It took me 1 hour to figure out that there are two different colors of gray. After looking at the guide on steam I figured out that there are even purple fish. That's bad, this essentially means I have three fish that look very similar to each other. Even worst, at some point I lost my gray fish and couldn't figure out if my fish are now black or gray. There are a few ways how this can be fixed:
- Give every color a unique shape. If you look at the card, you not only see the color of the fish but also the shape corresponding to the color.
- Show the name of the color of the fish, when hovering the mouse over it. Something similar would also be needed for the cards.
- Finding the longitudinal line pattern felt very counterintuitive. Same goes with the gray colored fish. Having the longitudinal line pattern spawn for any combination with a small chance would have helped (I tried different combinations for about 2 hours. So having spawn at some point would have been helpful). For the gray colored fish I would have assumed that a black and a white fish would spawn a gray one. Not sure why it doesn't
- I need more space in the book. At the beginning I liked collecting nice looking fish and putting them into the book. But as the game went on, I needed more and more space in the book for very specific fish (like full-colored fish or fish with a very rare pattern). I needed to throw away more and more fish even I really love how they looked. I was convinced that I would get more space as the game when on, but that was not the case. Maybe think about having a full double page of empty spaced every now and then in the book. That would have definitely kept me going.
Overall this game is great and there are a lot of lovely features that kept my playing for such a long time. So I will definitely come back to it at some point. Cheers ;)