If you made your game using the Godot engine, please post it below, we would love to see it !
Here is mine : https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/462432
It's an action arena game with only one action! And you can play in your brower.
I guess that was pretty short haha. Still, it was a good game. You could take the concept further and make some intersting thing with that in the future for sure !
it looks extremely polished how many were you working on it, and how the game jam went down on your side ?
It's a solo project, I worked alone on it. I should try to team up next time. The gamejam was so intense. I slept until 12am the first day after having the idea of what to make (only one room so you have to protect it). Then it was 34 hours of straight gamedev. I started by working on pixelart character and tileset. Then I used godot and the great GDquest tutorial on tilesets to make my first tilemap. Only then I added my character. I wasted some time working on the aiming visuals (arms angle etc.). I added some collision shapes and made some sort of physics "engine" and controls for my character, and I had myself a platformer already (first tryable thing so I was happy). Then I proceeded with the shooting and destructible walls mechanic. I took several hours to work on the enemy, it was so hard to get it right, make them crawl on walls and ceilings etc. I then made them killable. Created a spawner object. Added the mechanic to spawn spawners when destroying external walls. At this point the game was playable, but it was not that funny and there was no endgame. I tried to add shaders but did not manage to. I then added the concept of torch and dynamic lighting (so easy to do with godot!) to make the game more spooky. I tried to take a break by working on the logo of the game. After that I had to include it in the game so I made the intro scene that I continued to improve till the end. I needed to animate my character, so I coded leg and body animations (a lot of sin, cos and sawtouth functions), it was so hard to get it right. To add variety, I tweaked colors of monsters randomly. Then I added red bomb monsters because the gameplay was lacking a way to open walls even if you do not shoot. It was quite hard to make but opened the way to make more type of monsters easily. That's why I quickly added yellow monsters that grow. I removed the ability to jump of red and yellow monsters making it a distinctive ability of green. At this point I was feeling bad because I had no sound no music and not much time left. I decided to make an endgame instead. With that I playtested it a little (not enough since the final build is not really balanced but eh...) an submitted it 20 minutes before the end.
I'm really proud of what I made, my only regrets are that i should have gone more crazy with the theme, and I should have worked less on polishing visuals to make room for music/sound creation. A post-jam patch will fix this lack of sound for sure ;)
Wow sorry for this wall of text, but that's my full experience of the jam, feel free to ask questions or give feedback ;)