Hello! I’m here to tell you how our tag system works and how you can help us make it better.
How tags work (click me to show)
- Projects can use any tag they want when classifying their games
- “Suggested tags” are recommended in the drop down list when someone is tagging their work, we manage a list of those in the database
- Most people just use suggested tags
- Suggested tags can appear elsewhere on the site, like on browse. They are also much more likely to be found by search engine
- Project tags that aren’t suggested can only be accessed by clicking on the tag name on the project page
The original plan is that we would watch for what popular free-form tags are being used and turn them into suggested tags, while merging any similar tags. In practice this is kinda hard, and also may prevent certain kinds of tags from ever appearing.
In this thread:
- Make a suggestion for a new Suggested Tag
- Tell us about similar tags that need to be merged
note: merging a tag will update the taggings of any projects that use the old tag, additionally if anyone in the future tries to use it, it will automatically be renamed to the merged tag
Reminder, here are our rules about tagging: https://itch.io/docs/creators/quality-guidelines#use-relevant-tags-prefer-using-suggested-tags