Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[ ! ] Welcome to MFGJ: Introductions and Jam Goals! Sticky

A topic by lysander created Jul 09, 2017 Views: 4,584 Replies: 117
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 85 · Next page · Last page
Jam Host (4 edits) (+1)

Welcome to My First Game Jam: Summer 2017! For those of you just joining us, it's been a tradition to kick things off with a little getting-to-know-you questionnaire! For the first-time game developer, things can be pretty intimidating... which is why we want to show you you're not alone! 

Posting in this thread is not necessary, but we'd love for you to share your influences, passions, and jam goals with the rest of us. Who knows — you might meet a potential team member, or even a new friend!

Onto the questions!

1. Hi there! What's your name? Want to introduce yourself?

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?

5. Tell us about something you're passionate about!

6. What are your goals for this game jam?

7. Any advice to new jammers (if you're a veteran)?

(1 edit) (+3)

Call me Bliss, everyone else does.

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?

Yes and yes.

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?

I grew up inspired by FF 4 and 6, and SNES RPGs in particular.

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?

Ask me about hilarious crashing and burning in Ren'Py!

Ruining serious game genres by making them accessible for newbs, like Splatoon is doing for the FPS.

Four characters, one dungeon, one boss, a travelling merchant, and a short story.

SCOPE CREEP IS YOUR ENEMY.  Kill it before it breeds.

Submitted

I love your answer for #5! I think it's a great way to create something unique and I hope to do the same, someday. Good luck, dude!

Host(+1)

WOW 5 IS VERY GOOD honestly this is also my goal

(+1)

Hello  everybody, My name is Aleix Rius and i'm studying Game design and development in Girona (Catalunya) 

I did not participate in the last jam, and I'm joining here to meet with new people interested in videogames and share our knowledge in diferent camps. 

I'm gona say , my favorite game is this one which have something new to show the people. A new way to play, a new way tot tell the story , etc... Also I love very calm games like the new Zelda, Stardew Valley.

Yes, i've already programmed a couple of SIMPLE games, I've done from pong to 2D shooter with IA. All those games have been done with GODOT ENGINE, which is free on steam.

I really love thinking the way to improve a videogame. Sometimes i've got an idea about a game, then i usually spend like 2-3 weeks thinking how to improve that, which levels, which mechanics, which colours, etc...

My main goal is to finish an accurate game, i would like to be a sofisticaded game (for a novice). 

Sure: Done is better than perfect!

Host

hi aleix! that is INCREDIBLY good advice for this jam. best of luck!

Submitted (3 edits) (+1)

Why it's little 'ol me, Yuwrenn, Wrenn.

I have been in every single jam, this is what I do. However, I have only successfully made a game for the last one. I would like to again complete a game for a solid 50/50 participation rate. Makes me look less flakey. I might continue to expand on dialogue trees and conditional responses bc do you know how cool that is, having a character acknowledge that you did a thing. It's real cool.

J/RPGs. Honestly, rpgs are 98% of the games I play. I appreciate storylines and character development. I consider games to be a higher form of expression because they combine so many different types of the arts. Some throw outs would be the Tales of series, the SMT main series, Silent Hill series, and the Rune Factory series.

Yes, I do. I am an intermediate beginner imo. I spend most of my time staring at Unity when I know damn well that I could make x thing in 5 other, easier engines. But I feel Unity gives me the most EXP.

Learning about dialogue tree implementation. Art and music. Growing as a dev. 

Make game that does not say [Prototype] because I cut out a lot of things. Maybe work on making good UIs. 

7. Any advice to new jammers (if you're a veteran)?

If you are new to game dev and planning on making something using an engine you've never used before, then don't do anything too extravagant. If you find yourself lingering for hours on only one minor part of your game because of this it's time to say no. This is probably referring to Scope, but you don't realize it's scope until it scopes you.

Host(+1)

it's great to have you back wrenn!

"But I feel Unity gives me the most EXP." yo this is a really great attitude to have!! honestly so many things i'm like "i don't know what i'm doing!!" but being super willing to try something difficult can sometimes be really rewarding when you start to figure it out

(+2)

I'm Comet V and I get into more things than I should but it's ok because I enjoy doing it

I  missed the winter jam unfortunately, but I  did take part in the summer jam of 2016 (despite not actually getting much done)! this year I'll be using a different engine and hopefully a least have some kind  of practice game or playable demo available at the end

I'm a big fan of both visual novels and rpgs, and those are both things I'd like to work on myself in the future! some particularly memorable games for me include  zero escape, shin megami tensei,  and a pretty sizable collection of cute  VNs

I have pretty minimal experience, really! I've done a bit of exploring here and there in both Ren'py and RPGMaker, but I've never really gotten past the basic conceptual phase for anything 

I love my  OCs!! the biggest reason I want to make games is absolutely to share them and their worlds  with other people.

I'd really like to get a concrete plot down!it's something I've always really struggled with, oops. aIso, I'd like to do some character portraits for RPGMaker since it isn't something I've done before and just generally get more used to the engine.

just go for it!! do that thing!! and if you don't have it polished or finished enough for your liking, don't worry about it, because you can always come back to it later! 

Host

it's great to see you back comet!

making games about your ocs is literally the noblest goal ever i made my thesis game about my ocs (^:

(+1)

You may call me Rem or Zeru, either is fine!

Nope this is my first time. I'm not to good at finishing things  I start (depression keeps me down) so I really want to push myself to make a complete project!

Ive always loved video games of course but more so I've always just wanted to tell a story. TBH I think comics and cartoons inspire me more than games but I really like the interactive elements that video games have so I've been really interested in using them as a base to tell a story!

Not really lol I very briefly played with renpy and rpg maker in high school but that was a long time ago and im sure ill have to relearn all of that lol

Story telling!

to complete a well rounded and polished short story with a few minigames (interactive maps) to keep it interesting! I also want to put my all into the art and make all the characters as likable as possible~

Host

hi rem! storytelling is definitely one of my favorite parts of games also. i actually made one of my first games in rpgmaker in high school as well. i feel like i'm always having to relearn programs but i think you'd be surprised what you retain and build on. best of luck in the jam!

I've definitely had to review a lot lol! Renpy is pretty easy as long as you stick to the basics but im an overachiever so im getting bogged down by figuring out how to do fun details ;D good thing ive started early to work out the plans I had for the game!

Host

yeah renpy is great because it's not too difficult for the bare minimum but python is a pretty powerful way for you to expand and customize!

(+1)

Hi, I'm Sadie! (Shey/They) I'm in Australia, currently in school and a little worried I won't be able to balance.

I joined because I had an idea for a game and wanted help in developing it.

I always really like those idle IOS games, like tappy road or that one SU game. They're visually appealing and easy to do. And they're fun.

Nope.

I'm doing a computer science course and I always want to know more about coding!

To make a game that's fun, and learn something new.

Host

hi sadie!! i really loved that SU game as well-- honestly i feel like i sink more hours into idle games than any other kind these days. also-- even if you can't finish a game in the two weeks because of school definitely be sure to stick with it! we've had quite a few jammers with fulltime jobs or classes and even if you can't finish your project in the time span you can definitely take advantage of the community during the jam to make connections for the time after! best of luck!

Matt Pfaff

No. Programmer interested in learning to implement gameplay systems in Unity.

RPGs, strategy, rogue likes. XCom, Spelunky, Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Dabbled little in unity only.

Science fiction and space exploration.

Learn how to make my own prototypes from scratch.

N/A

Host

hi matt! i actually have a mentor at my game studio who worked on xcom! i've always wanted to play it. best of luck with making your prototypes from scratch-- i think it will be really cool if you documented your process in a devlog!

Submitted(+1)

You can call me Seren! I procrastinate a lot.

I don't think I participated in the last jam, but I participated in last summer's. Basically, I'm going to plan and schedule much better this time!

Well, at the moment, Breath of the Wild and Overwatch are my favorites. My long-time ones though are Thousand Year Door, Majora's Mask, Windwaker...lots of Nintendo games. It's what I grew up on! I'm also a huge Borderlands fan. They've definitely made me want to make my own games, and inspired me in other areas as well. 

No, I've mostly just messed around in Ren'py and RPG Maker.

I really love media and entertainment! They don't get nearly enough credit. I'd also love to see video games incorporated into education.

I want to finish a game, regardless of how short or bad it is. That's all! Every game jam before this, I've quit very early on, but I'm determined to make it to the end this time.

I wouldn't call myself a veteran, but definitely plan out your game kind of thoroughly. Draw a diagram. That way you can schedule when you should work on what think. It'll be much easier to stay on track that way!

Host(+1)

hi seren! your advice is definitely really important-- best  of luck with planning and managing your project this jam! i was actually thinking of writing up a quick guide on task + time management since it's definitely the top killers for our jam games.

also there's definitely a whole section of the game industry dedicated to educational games! i agree it'd be really awesome to see more games in education.

Submitted

Sorry! I was on a trip, but now I'm back, and I'm glad to see your reply! Did you end up writing the post? 

Host

i actually didn't get to writing up a post on project management yet but i did write up something similar based on a lot of advice in this thread. it addresses scope!

I'm Madison! I'm a freelance artist who has always wanted to put my art in a video game. 

I saw this jam as a reason to work on some of the ideas for visual novel narratives I've had.

We Know the Devil is the game that really inspired me! I love the way it blends audio and visuals to create an atmosphere

I've wanted to make a video game ever since I was a kid! I used to make mini games in game maker. 

I'm really passionate about cool visuals in games. That what usually takes so long for me to finish a game is because I spend so long on what I want the game to look like. 

My goal is to, well, just to finish a game with several endings. 

Host

hi madison!! aaa i LOVE we know the devil it's probably one of my favorite games. i'm also really passionate about game visuals... haha i really feel you on taking forever because you want it look good. best of luck in the jam!

(1 edit)

Spencer White, I love software engineering, and even more hardware engineering (Which usually shine through in my crappy game ideas). To be completely honest, I am way too young to be doing this. Oh, also, my Internet alias is sometimes SpencerBeige to reflect how bland the last name "White" is :P

No, I did not. My reasoning is that I have learned the basics and some of the intermediate stuff with Unity and can't find any tutorials to fill that void. So, I thought I might learn with others.

TIS-100 is one of my favourites. It forces people to think, hard, by using such simple concepts. The first game i ever played that made me start thinking about the concepts of games was Minecraft. Before this game, it was just a blur of flash games and kongregate, then minecraft showed me how the core concepts of game design can force players to do something without literally forcing them, and other things. 

I started with lua, and soon decided that I needed something more, so I moved to Unity. I have a good bit of C# experience. 

Electronics. Seeing a nice IC or circuit drawing every once in a while keeps me living.

To learn, and to have fun. 

I am not a veteran, have never, ever done any game jams, but I do have some advice. Please, please, don't let your pride get in the way of learning. It is the worst thing for you. Also, pick a language and stick to it. You won't get any learning done if you keep switching to the next best language or the next best tool. Pick something, and just have fun learning. 

Host

hi spencer! honestly even if you think you're young--my younger brother was making games in middle school and i've had parents come up to me in exhibitions telling me how their elementary school age kids were learning coding. this is also some pretty good advice-- experienced devs always have something new to learn and learning is really all about attitude.

Deleted 5 years ago
Host

hi jackie! i hope you can learn something new in this jam!

Deleted 5 years ago
(+2)

My name is Steven!

Did not participate last Jam, but helped out as a mentor for Unity. Will continue to do so during this Jam!

Puzzle games and action RPGs are my favorites. However, puzzle games more or less inspired me to make my own games.

I have 3 years of "non-professional" experience as a game developer. I have participated in many game jams, made a couple games with other people and I also went to school for game development.

I'm really passionate about games. Both making them and playing them.

Help out newcomers!

If this is your first jam, understand that your vision of what you want your game to be may not show in your final build and that's okay. The fact that you're willing to put in the work is an achievement in itself. (I've mentioned this last years thread but this still holds up today) 

Host(+1)

hi steven! it's awesome to have you back as a mentor! this is really great advice and honestly i think i will be writing up something similar in our starter kit for this round.

(+1)

Here there I am Charles aka RLChibi or Reallifechibi. I've just started to learn Unity even tho I have messed around with Gamemaker for quiet a bit. Looking forward to this

Sadly I entered but I was unable to =/

I enjoy almost any game haha card game, board games, video games. I guess I love the classics more than anything. SMB, Kirby, Sonic, FF, DQ, Tetris

I did some Udemy courses for Gamemaker but never went and tried to make anything on my own. I switched over to Unity because I wanted to learn C# and also do 3D. I've started to make my own assets with Blender and MagicaVoxel as well.

I am actually passionate about magic and music!

my goals is to make something in Unity either it be 2D or 3D and finish it on time. 

Host

hi charles! i'll be honest sometimes 2D is faster for jams but if you're interested in learning some 3D stuff i would definitely keep it simple this round for a game or focus on 3D as a jam goal! this isn't a hard and fast rule but kind of more an observation of past jammers' experiences-- i look forward to seeing what you make this jam!

(+2)

Hello everybody, the name's Joey, but you can also call me Kirgio cause I use that name everywhere online. I'm a software integrations engineer in Milwaukee, WI, USA.

Nope, this will be my first game jam.

Oh jeez, that's a tough question. I'd have to say that in general my favorite types of games are some mixture of action, shooter, and RPG. Some of my all time favorites are Doom (the original, though the reboot was awesome), Ocarina of Time, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Pretty much from a young age I've always wanted to make my own games, 20ish years later I'm finally trying to realize that dream.

I've tried before in the past, I've played around with some HTML5 based engines before, even messed with Unity for a bit. But for now I've settled on GameMaker because I currently have a desire to focus on 2D games, there's something about good pixel art that always captures me.

Besides having a passion for playing video games and trying to fire up that passion for making them, I really find myself enjoying conversations on "design". And by that I mean talking about the concious reasons behind why decisions were made, whether it's game design, household object design, UX design. I don't really know why, I think maybe it's cause I get enjoyment from exploring why we choose the things that we do.

My main goal of this game jam is to create something that is based on my own ideas and contribution. Before now everything I've done has been through a guided tutorial where I'm making someone else's game as an example. Now I want to create something myself and face the challenges that come with that. I also want to try and participate in the community aspect of the game jam (hence why I'm filling this out). I'm a pretty shy person and I want to feel more comfortable being able to jump into a community and start engaging. Actually, as I'm writing this I'm currently lurking on the Discord chat, at some point I'll say hello.

Nope, cause I ain't new.

Host

hi kirgio! if you haven't already, definitely be sure to say hi in the discord server! also i LOVE talking about design of games, especially in a critical manner. asking why we have players interact with our game in a certain way or why we do things is always really interesting and helps us design more meaningful games and systems. looking forward to seeing your work this jam!

Hi Kirgio, small world! I'm a mobile software engineer in Waukesha, WI. I was pretty sure there wasn't another person in like a 100 mile radius who cared about actual game design .

One of my goals for this jam is to build some courage to meet people, and not be so lonely on this hobby gamedev journey. Lurking is my default too, so I know where you're coming from. Glad you're joining the jam!

Such a small world! Glad to know I'm not the only lurker hanging around here!

Deleted 6 years ago
Host

"I intend to fully commit myself to this project and end up with something I can proudly say, "My God, this is awful. Let's give it another go."" OH BOY i laughed this is the perfect mindset for this jam!!! honestly most any game i making anymore begins with 3 failed prototypes because the first solution is usually pretty far from the best solution. if you get the chance, be sure to check out our discord server-- if that's not your thing, i hope you can post a devlog! it's one of the best ways to be involved in our jam community.

My name is Douglas.  Game dev and computers, in general, are hobbies I've had since I was a preteen. I've decided recently that I want to take it seriously. Now, I am in university going for a four-year degree in game design.

This is the first jam I have ever joined! I see a lot of awesome and interesting ideas come out of these sorts of things, so why not? I am always looking for a reason to practice my skills.

Breath of Fire, Starcraft, Diablo, Skyrim, Civilization, Final Fantasy, Metroid, and Legend of Zelda. (to name a few)

Since being in uni, I have made an horror-like RPG Maker game based on 'escape rooms' and an "Asteroids" clone with "Space Invader" sprites in Unity.

I am becoming more and more passionate about telling stories and creating experiences in the most immersive ways possible. I'm also really into politics, music, and cooking!

I want to test myself and see if I can produce a fully realized concept that works (and is fun, of course!) under a short time constraint.

Host

hi douglas! i also really love telling stories + creating immersive experiences with games. i think it's also really awesome that you listed so many interests outside games-- i think honestly games are really interesting when people are passionate about something that isn't games and kind of bring those interests to development. best of luck with creating something in the two weeks!

I'm Hub! I'm a software development student.

I've never done a jam before! This one starts right after school lets out for me, so I'm excited to give it a try since I'll have time!

I LOVE RPGs. Megaman Battle Network is my favorite game series and I love other RPGS such as The Witcher, Stardew Valley, etc.

I do! I've dabbled in Unity and XNA. I've made text-adventure games in C#.

Megaman! I love megaman sooo much.

To make a fully functional (and hopefully fun :P) game!

I'm new! Ahah..

Host

hi hub! i've been meaning to play the witcher and stardew valley. they've been sitting unplayed in my library haha ('': also i used to make text adventures in C++ that's a huge throwback. good luck with your game this jam!

My name's Kyle, and I'm not a cop.

More seriously, I'm a games hobbiest. I saw this jam advertised on the Itch.io front page, thought "what could possibly go wrong?", and signed up. God help me.

Never done a jam before. I joined because I want to make a game, and I don't know how else it's gonna happen. I'm pretty sure this jam will end with me setting myself on fire, but YOLO!

The problem with finding favorite games is that they cost money, and I've never had a lot of that. Most of my favorite games are hand-me-downs that I never had a choice of playing, good or bad. With that in mind, here's my picks:

Timesplitters 2

A decent shooter, it does the job; nothing more, nothing less. What I remember fondly is the Mapmaker. That tool tricked kid me into learning programming. Well, more like learning programming concepts, but it did the job. In a way, Timesplitters 2 was how I made my first "games".

Halo 3

Another decent-ish shooter that I don't care for much these days, but it included some handy tools for creating maps. If those tools weren't there, I'm not sure who I'd be today.

Pokemon XD: Gales of Darkness

A favorite I hold close to my heart, this game showed me the power of innovation in a series that was stagnating at the time. There's plenty of tropes and technique in this I'd like to steal one day (creature personalities defined by animations, a battle system tweaked to encourage emergent combos and strategies, battle cinematography including dolly cams, aerial shots and more that emulated sports events, and so much more) But most importantly, it was a game that made it fun to be the good guy. You were a Lawful Good protagonist, and it was fun! That might not mean a lot, but it's something I feel is greatly lacking in modern gaming.

Pathologic

A game I haven't played cough money cough, but it's a clear inspiration. Pathologic drives everyone that plays it insane (not a joke; check out Pathologistics to watch it happen). It's a narrative masterpiece I hope to emulate, not necessarily in tone, but in technique. What beliefs can I impose on players, and can I impose these beliefs without them ever knowing it's happening? If I show them how they were manipulated, would they believe me? If Pathologic is anything to go by, I'm not sure I want the answers.

RPG Shooter: Starwish

A fantastic shoot-em-up with engaging narrative, created by only one person, distributed for free. I'm probably looking at it with rose colored glasses, but regardless, the very idea that one person could make a good game is inspiring. Starwish being free probably helped.

There's probably more inspirations, but I'll move on.

No what am I doing here HELP

Apart from games, you mean?

I'm really into music. And by music, I mean I listen to silly love songs, death metal, and everything in between. I believe videogame music is in a ghetto of sorts, and it's partly of it's own volition. How many games have vocals? When was the last time you played a game and thought "Wow, that instrumentalist is really skilled"? Listen to an instrumental band, then listen to a video game track, and tell me there isn't a quality difference. Granted, I'm oversimplifying things; Pokemon XD: Gales of Darkness has a killer bass riff, Halo has that distintive guitar triplet, etc. But even games that have "good" soundtracks use musical genres that don't have much appeal otherwise. Skyrim has some good music, but when was the last time you heard a classical band? How many chiptune fans aren't gamers? I want to see a game with music that appeals to more than just gamer demographics.

I'm also a firm believer in games as edutainment (even if they're not trying to be or don't know what they're talking about. See everyone that thinks they know how the military works after playing Call of Duty, or that they know how a car handles after playing Forza). I believe games have a responsibilty to represent their subject matters truthfully, even if it isn't fun, because someone's going to believe your game is "realistic". That means, when you sprint in a shooter with your finger on the trigger and your gun pointed at your foot, I want the inevitable to happen. That means, when you tried and take on an army single-handedly, you die. I don't mind a power fantasy, but no amount of power should let you be a GTA protagonist and still have fun. Okay, you can try being an asshole, but it shouldn't be fun. Because that's not how life works, no matter what games teach us.

I also want games to be fun. I know, not all games need to be fun, and I understand that. But I believe fun games are a million times more persuasive. It's so much easier to accept a shitty message if it's delivered in a fun format. It creates the argument (intentionally or not) "Okay, this might be morally wrong, but it's fun, so it doesn't matter." And then you're tempted to stop being skeptical of what the game's trying to say, because if you did, you can't have fun anymore. No one should have to choose between being a good person and having fun, and so I want to make games where being good is fun.

Looking back, I realised I just talked about games the entire time. I apologize for the redundancy, but I'm keeping it this in, because damn do I love games.

I put so much effort into this forum post because I'm trying to figure out what I want to make. I have beliefs and artistic ideas I really want to fulfill, but I don't have the technical knowledge to make it happen. I don't know how to use any game engines and I don't know much programming. If I can get those skills so I can work on what I'm passionate about, then I'll be happy. Now, how that's going to happen...oh god NO I'M NOT HAVING A PANIC ATTACK WHY DO YOU ASK

my name is Jacob but you could call me what ever you want.  I'm a senior in high school, and I think I want to go to college for programming but not too sure because i don't really know any programming. 

I did not participate in the last jam because I did not know this was a thing.

right now i'm really into Overwatch, I was really in to pokemon and splatoon, but I will play almost anything. 

I have zero experience with game development, but I have unity and game maker studio 2.

video games, that is about it. pretty sad

make something. I just want to get the ball rolling for me.

(+1)

"video games, that is about it, pretty sad"

Videogames are amazing. Also, don't be sad :( I spent three paragraphs in my introduction trying not to say what you said and failed.

"my name is Jacob but you could call me what ever you want."

You are now Sir Jacob. Welcome to the order of indie developers. Your uniform, badge, and weapon will arrive shortly. Remember: snitches get stitches.

Submitted
Deleted 5 years ago
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 85 · Next page · Last page