Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[ ! ] Pre-jam Introductions & Questionnaire! Sticky

A topic by lysander created Jan 11, 2020 Views: 4,204 Replies: 139
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 88 · Next page · Last page
Jam Host(+5)

Welcome to My First Game Jam: Winter 2020! For those of you just joining us, it's been a tradition to kick things off with a little getting-to-know-you questionnaire! For the first-time game developer, things can be pretty intimidating... which is why we want to show you you're not alone! This is not a required activity— it's just meant as a way to break into the community for returning jammers and newbies alike.

We'd love for you to share your influences, passions, and jam goals with the rest of us. Who knows — you might meet a potential team member, or even a new friend!

(These questions are entirely optional; they're just here to warm things up, so feel free to skip them as needed!)

Onto the questions!

1. Hi there! What's your name? Want to introduce yourself?

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?

5. Tell us about something you're passionate about!

6. What are your goals for this game jam?

For returning jammers:

7. Any advice to new participants?

8. What can the admins do to improve your jam experience?

9. What are some of the past works you've made for the jam? Show off your favorites!

10. Bonus: Got any question suggestions? Let us know for next year!

(+4)

1. Hey! I'm Frisout and boy do I love to introduce myself, though I think a quick look at my profile will introduce me a lot better than his :3

2. Nope! This is the first gamejam I'm joining :D. I want to join because I love the entire relaxed vibe of being able to create whatever the heck you want, just experimenting  without any judgement at all about it being unfinished or not polished. For this reason I also prefer non-ranked jams. I don't come for competition, I come for the creation. I also love to see how differnt people can interpret the same idea differntly, and I love the social aspect of meeting new people and getting to know their thought processes trough this ^-^

3. The game that first sparked my interest in making games was when I played The Beginners Guide back in 2016. After this I started making some walking simulators myself and stuff took off from there. My all time favorite game is Hypnospace Outlaw. Game of the year 2019 for sure please check it out if you haven't already ^-^. Overall I guess the type of games I love most are the ones which bring unique experiences. I don't game that much myself but when I do I always do it for experiences, stuff to think about ya know.. c;

4. I sure do! I have experimented with Game Maker Studio when I was little but really my game making experience has always been in Unity. I made some wacky walking simulators and my first released game is Lizard Run which is currently downloadable on the google play store. It's a very simple 1 tap game meant for your time killing needs. Currently I'm working on my next mobile game in a similar style but vastly differnt, more involving gameplay: Snail Colony! :D

5. Art! Everything art. I'm currently studying Architecture at the university of Delft, I paint and I play guitar. The games I find most enjoyable are the ones which really start to fall into the artistic categorys, and that's also the aim whenever I am creating a game c:

6. Having an amazing time! I would love for this jam to be an amazing start on my game jam journey. I already know that it will be. It fits my wants from game jams perfectly, it's meant for starters on jams and the 2nd week will be a week I am free from uni, so this'll be perfect! :D

Thank you for reading! Please check out my short profile as that does introduce me the best really :3

Cya! ^-^

Host(+2)

hey frisout! i really hope you enjoy the jam! honestly all the reasons you listed as why you were excited to join are the exact reasons i love to be involved with this jam.

(+1)

Hi  Frisout. ^O^/ My name is Anh. What a throughout introduction (I love your profile, by the way, so funky with all those artsy imageries ). I'm amazed at how passionate you are with game making. ^///^ I also love art and play the guitar (I'm just a beginner though hi hi). 

I hope all is going well with your game for this Jam! This is also the first game Jam I've joined, though I have to admit I haven't been able to do much in the last few days. *w*'' Since it's Chinese New Year in Asia (I'm Vietnamese ^.^), I've been caught up with the festivities and socialization that comes with it. Today finally, I 've started planning and scaling my game hi hi, I'm going to make a devlog later today  (have you?). If you like, I'd love to chat more about game making with you!

Take care,

Anh

(+1)

Haha thank you! ^-^ If you want to chat more, feel free to contact my discord!

As for this game jam, I have not been able to work on it yet because I'm finishing up a project for my architecture study. Tomorrow will be the final presentation though, and after that I'm free for a week so that's when I'll start working on it.

My immediate first thoughts with the theme were reveal were a walking simulator where NPC's constantly mock you for not being able to actually feel any temperature changes and you can only pretend to know what it's like behind your pc. Considering the time I have though, I might just make a simple short poem you walk trough with similar ideas instead. We'll see. ^-^

If you enjoy my funky stuff, I am currently setting up a neocities page so feel free to check that out here: https://frisout.neocities.org/

Good luck with your own project and once again feel free to contact my discord: @Frisout#3517. We also got a Solo Team DM chat atm which you might like to join. https://crowdforge.io/jams/myfirstgamejam-winter2020/teams/5159

Once again thank you for your nice message ^-^ Cya! <3

Deleted 3 years ago
Host

hey nicky! this is really awesome work and great advice for any beginners.

Deleted 155 days ago
Host

hey there! i've never played ikaruga but dang that game looks intense. i'm wishing you the best of luck with the jam! sometimes it's nice to just finish a small project.

(+2)

I'm Ash / mcurii ! I'm not very good at introducing myself, but I'd be happy to answer any questions y'all might have!! :D

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?

I did not ;; my reason for joining is ,,, that I want to make a game, mainly, and thought this would be a really good experience and way to learn!!

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?

Oh gosh there are so many;; but as far as making me want to make my own, I play a lot of visual novels (and have for a long time), and have always wanted to make a game myself. Eventually I sort of just realized that making a game is something that's actually possible for me to do lol.

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?

Nope;

I mean video games are a big one (to no one's surprise lol) but I'm also very passionate about illustration, character design, and art in general!! I've been drawing my whole life, and though I don't have any plans to be a professional, I do really enjoy drawing and creating art!

I don't want to overwhelm myself by setting my goals too high, so my only real goals are to learn and to make something that at least sort of functions as a game!

Host

hey ash! welcome to the game jam! i'm really glad to hear you went from "thinking that making a game isn't something i could do" to "maybe i'll try to learn how to make something very basic". i'm wishing you the best of luck this jam!

Submitted(+2)

1- Hi im Sam! Theres not much to say about me but if youd like to see who i am im on twitter @ evileidolons

2- nope! first jam ever here

3- lets go top five bc im bad at picking faves. Animal crossing, Botw, Undertale, Sotn, Sam and Max Hit the Road. All of them inspire me but Hit The Road is the big inspiration for my jam

4- Not very much no

5- Art! Art is ddfinately my big passion

6- Actually finish something

Host

hey sam! i really love animal crossing and botw... i'm wishing you the best of luck with the jam! honestly "finishing something" is a really good goal for this jam.

(+2)

1. Howdy I'm Hugh! I'm a 20 year old electrical engineering student from Ireland!

2. I didn't take part as this is my first ever jam, and my first ever game oops.

3. I really like co-op or multiplayer games. I'm a twin so I suppose this came from growing up on browser games and neither of us wanting to give up the computer. Things like gang beasts or project winter really stand out to me. I doubt I'd be able to make anything like that for this jam or maybe for many to come but I look forward to getting to that stage :)

4. I know I said this was my first game and jam but I actually did used to mess around with Unity. I grew up with video games so always wanted to make my own, even before I could do any sort of programming.

5. Probably a bit of an unrelated passion but I'm really into the Ultimate Frisbee scene! I'm the chairperson for my college team and I love every single member to bits (I even met my girlfriend through ultimate!).

6. For this jam I really want to work on my programming. This could be the ugliest game I ever make but I wont mind so long as it works. Having an end product that is even semi-fun would be a HUGE win for me!

Host(+1)

hey hugh! omg that's actually really cute re: having a twin and playing games... multiplayer games can be very tricky (and i might not recommend them for this jam) but getting experience with game making in general can definitely help you get toward that goal. also that's really cool re: ultimate frisbee! i've always wanted to play haha.

Submitted(+2)

Hello, my name is cyberlitabot and Yes I do.

No I did not. To take  game dev seriously. I have only followed tutorials before and that is it.

The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask. That game inspired me to a whole new level when I was a kid. Though I can't make games like that, yet, It is still my most cherished memory.

I have tried many. though none of them never really clicked with me.  Godot, Armory, unity, Polycode, Love2d, Raylib. Lua is my favorite code, but their are not that much lua engines. I have found Solarus. It is a lua based game engine like RPG Maker that works with linux and I hope this will click. Even if it doesn't I am willing to learn.

I like to draw! I also want to make games that will function and publish it and send my interactive imagination to the world. I love to share my mind. As weird as it is.

Well my first goal is to make a good looking movable box. The rest is up to the theme you send me.

I am looking forward to your movable box, cyberlitabot.

Submitted

Me too. Wouldn't mind seeing everyone else s games. I am also trying not to tell my family to keep me motivated because I always say I am gonna do it, but never actually do it. So I hope this is it.

Host

aww i'm really excited for you to share your imagination with us! a movable box is a great place to start for this jam for sure

Submitted(+2)

I am excited too. Since I have Learning Disabilities I am giving myself a head start because I am very slow.  Been wanting to do this since I was 12 years old. 16 years, man! Right now I am trying to figure out collision detection and map editing. I decided on love2d game engine even though I said solarus. So Excited! AAAAAH!

(+2)

Hi! I'm Harlow! 

This is my first game jam! I didn't join last time due to a combination of health nonsense and just not knowing this was a thing

It's hard to choose! At the moment, though, I'm on a big Pokemon Mystery Dungeon kick, thanks in part to the upcoming remakes. I've always kinda wanted to do my own take on a system similar to those games, which is what I'd like to try and work on for this jam.

I have little to no experience. I've tried to learn a couple times, but was never able to motivate myself to keep up with it. I'm hoping that joining this jam (alongside the fact that my aforementioned health nonsense has been fixed) will help me focus on learning.

I love coming up with fictional worlds and stories! I enjoy worldbuilding so much that I often forget to actually do anything with what I've made in favor of even more worldbuilding.

Mainly just to learn the basics! I'd love to get something semi-playable done, but really making anything at all would be a huge accomplishment for me, especially since I'm starting a new semester of college the same day the jam is scheduled to start.

Submitted(+1)

Hey, maybe this can be your first step into game development. Good luck!

Host(+1)

hi harlow! i've never played PMD but i've always been a little interested, and especially with how cute the remakes look! i know it can be pretty tricky to juggle school and jam at the same time but i really hope you can get at least a small playable game so you can share your cool worldbuilding with us!!

(+1)

Ahhh I love PMD! I’m replaying Explorers of Sky right now! Good luck with the game jam!

(+3)

1. Hi, I go by Ash or Watercolor preferably

2. I did not participate in the last Jam. I'm joining just to hold myself responsible to actually make something.

3. PFMagic's (which would later become Ubisoft) Catz inspired me to become a gamedev. When we lost AOL homepages, we lost a lot of female-focused coders and designers too. I also started coding in ZZT, the first object oriented programming language at age 9 or so.

4. I have over ten years experience with Ren'Py and Actionscript 3, a lot of which I've forgotten and now need to re-learn.

5. I love moths, newts, and watercolor art.

6. My only goal is to improve my coding skills and debugging and sitting my ass down in the chair to actually write the code.

Submitted

Oh cool, I am a woman also. Nice.

Host(+1)

hey watercolor! wow that's a lot of experience. i hope the jam is a good motivator for just getting to work on a project. best of luck!

(1 edit) (+1)

Greetings, my name is Casey, and go by the handle ColorInvert. They/Them.

I did not, as my schedule and personal life has had high priority leaving me little time to focus on... anything, really. As of January though, the rush is over, and I'd like to use this chance to prototype out an idea I had for a future project.

Yume Nikki,  .flow, Bad North, TORMENTOR X PUNISHER (ultraviolence/language warning on that one), Murasaki Tsurugi, Beat The Art Breaker, and Crypt Worlds to name a few. Always loved surrealist mood pieces, "condensed" versions of a genre polished to a mirror sheen, and most of all, experimental hybrid genre mixing. For this jam I will be doing... None of those!

I have significant practice with Game Maker Studio 2, am dabbling and getting acquainted with Unreal Engine 4's blueprinting, and experience with Python.

Gamefeel. I used to believe that if the gameplay isn't good, then the whole thing isn't. I now feel the absolute polar opposite is true. It's possible to make a game where you click once, and if you do good enough with the visuals, sound effects, screenshake, distortion even just that will be immensely satisfying. I could write a full dissertation on TxP's visual and sound effects bring a typical arena shooter into something completely incomparable. It's also something I need to practice.

They're very specific this time! I am making a golf game (minigolf game?) with an unusual control scheme, that will be 1 bit (black and white, no greyscale allowed) and be entirely at the resolution of 400x240. I will not confirm or deny any reasoning I have for these limitations.

9. What are some of the past works you've made for the jam? Show off your favorites!

I have made 3 games, released on itch, created for previous version of MFGJ. From oldest to newest, they are:

Here's the Kicker, a prototype of a single button action game about kicking ... rectangles, and plate glass windows.

The Jacka**tronaut, a 2 button plus mouseaim arena shooter in space where each blast of your shotgun pushes you back, and you have no other direct method of movement.

Nest Defender The First: The Start Of An Empire I asked my sister to provide me with a game idea, unprompted. I then made it for her, as a surprise birthday present, and that's what this is. Can You Figure Out How To Play As The Locked Character???

Host

hey casey! welcome back! that sounds like some really challenging limitations i'm really curious to see the game!

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

Hey, I'm Pablo and I'm from Spain.

No, this is my first game jam ever. I'm joining because I feel this is a great oportunity to improve my game-making skills and to have a contact with the game-making comunity.

I don't have a favourite game or a game that inspired me.

Yes, but not much. I've been using the Unity engine for 2 months and I've only finished one little project (wich is in my Itch.io page) and I'm currently working in other tinny  but also bigger project.

Like I said I don't have too much experience on making-games so I hope I will find in what I like the mostthe future.

I have two  goals (for now) for this jam wich are finishing the game and  receive feedback of other people.

Host

welcome pablo! you're a perfect fit for the game jam! good luck with finishing your game for the jam!

Submitted(+2)

Thank you :)

Submitted(+1)

Hello everyone, my name is Brandon. It is a pleasure to be joining this community. I am a recent college graduate from the field of Computer Engineering looking to exercise my creative muscles a bit!

This is my first ever game jam. I decided to join this one to give myself so extra motivation in seeing something through. I have always had an inclination towards creative endeavors, an I hope to find an outlet to express myself.

I cannot really decide on a favorite game, I have enjoyed such a vast array of titles spanning almost every genre. I was recently inspired by THE DEVIL HAUNTS ME, I too want to create something on my own which I can be proud of.

I have fiddled around with GameMaker in my younger days but never dived in. Recently, I have been experimenting with Godot and Unity. I have only brushed the surface with some tutorials so far.

I am passionate about my two dogs! Every day I go home and they are there waiting for me as happy as can be. I want to theme my game around them.

I want to submit a finished game, even if it is rudimentary in nature I want to see it through to the end. I also want to have some fun seeing what everyone else is making along the way!

Host

hey brandon! omggg that's really wholesome! we actually have had quite a few games people have made after their pets (esp dogs!) and ive loved every single one of them. good luck with the jam!

(2 edits) (+2)

Hello! My name is iskander and i am 15 year old boy, i'm a highschool student and this is my first year in it.

No, mainly for because of my age, but am also new to game development and my country is completely  new to "technology" thing sooo yeah.

i plan to make a game just for fun and some feedback 'some support for me huh' .

I like story based games like "undertale" but my inspiration grew because i was curious how videogames made, so from curiosity to passion.

I have like 2 months of experience in unity engine, i made some simple game and it was a lot of fun.  

I want to be the first game developer in my country (algeria)!! LOL.

just pass some time and learn some new stuff and get some feedback .

(+1)

15 years too, nice!

Host

hey iskander! aww i'm hoping you can learn a lot and find a community this jam! i think it can be hard to learn how to make games when there's not a lot of people around you who make them.

(1 edit) (+1)

Hi! I am Gabriel, alias Soldier, I am 15 years old, I live in Argentina and I am interested in the development of video games in most of its fields. Unfortunately, I don't speak English very well and I think that could influence the work. Google Translate works xd

Nope, first jam. But, I think this will be a good introductory opportunity.

Well... adventure games, and in general kinesthetic games. Games that make you feel sensations.

For now I have worked only on small non-professional personal projects. Not very ambitious. Unity and Flash engine only.

Art, development, programming, a little of everything. And play videogames of course.

Learn, meet people and more.

Ok, this is all so thanks for reading and good luck...

Nos vemos!

Submitted(+1)

Hola yo soy Pablo, saludos desde España y buena suerte.

Submitted (1 edit)

Hello! My name is Roman, i'm from Russia :3 (idk that's all lol)

No, i didn't. Well, i joined this jam to learn something new for me, because that's my first game jam. I made small games before in Game Maker Studio, now i'm working in Unity so i  hope this expirence will be fun!

Yeah! Great example is Underatale and Heartbound. Also i like a lot of indie games!

Yes, Unity and GameMaker Studio.

I like write code and draw pixelarts, but i still beginner.

I'll try to make platformer game, but also i'm here to have fun and learn something new )

(+1)

I am Wiki, age 22 and in a comp sci program at the moment. 

No, I thought maybe throwing myself into a jam were I can interact with others and ask questions might be a good way to get my ADHD/Depressed ass to do something.

I really like story based games, especially, but not only, ones where you control the outcome

Not at all, this should be very interesting.

Stories! I love writing and telling stories and games are such a cool way to do that!

To just make a little story focused game, maybe have 2 or 3 endings if things go well, but I honestly even having half a game would be nice. 

Hello I'm Alex! This is my third MFGJ, and I'm hoping to make a text adventure this year!

I've done My First Game Jam Winter 2018 and 2019! Last time I submitted a prototype puzzle game which I never got around to expanding on (maybe someday, though). This time, I'd like to make a complete small game without any big plans to expand on it. (Outside of bugfixes, of course.)

This year I want to make a small piece of interactive fiction. I've been getting into text adventures over the last couple of years, and I've found myself drawn to the big puzzly games - that is, the classic style "> get ye flask" kinds of games.

Two of my favourites so far have been A Beauty Cold and Austere (by Mike Spivey) and Curses! (by Graham Nelson.) There's a lot of really good interactive fiction out there, but these two share something inspirational between them, I think. In both games, the authors wanted to share their passion for something with the player - ABCaA is Spivey introducing the player to the history of mathematics, and Curses is Nelson giving the player a tour of British history and mythology. They're both really fun games (albeit super difficult, in Curses' case!) and they both left me sharing the authors' passion.

I'd like to put a similar amount of love into my games, if I ever make more. That said, I'm going to use the theme as a prompt this year, so I have absolutely no idea what my jam entry will be about yet!

I know my way around Game Maker Studio 1.4, and make my previous MFGJ entry with it, but that's not what I'm planning to use in this jam. I've been taking a course in Unity, but I'm not confident with it yet. I have some very slight knowledge of Inform 7, which is the engine I'm trying to very quickly learn for this jam.

Since the last time I answered this question, I have gotten a lot more interested in sports, particularly football (i.e. soccer). I used to write football off as just overpaid athletics, but I had a moment of clarity this year after I got fed up of professional wrestling. I had enjoyed wrestling because it was more about the soap opera than the actual sport, and I eventually realised that a lot of organised sports are like that. It's not about the football so much as it's about the atmosphere of a match, the community that forms around it, the big personalities that pass through and shape your team for better or for worse. Such a fascinating and weird part of human culture; I think I've fallen in love with it.

It also probably helps that my team, Sheffield United, are doing well at the moment. Maybe a few years from now Sheffield United will collapse again, and I'll decide that football is for idiots after all.

• Finish something! I want to end up with a complete game and a cohesive story or atmosphere, no matter how small. Other than bugfixes and better testing, I shouldn't feel like I ought to add to the game after submission.
  • Learn Inform 7. I've been poking at the engine and documentation recently, trying to learn my way around the program ahead of time. I would like to gain more familiarity with it, and hopefully write more text adventures after the jam.

7. Any advice to new participants?

• Give yourself days off. Build days offinto your timetable, if you're planning that far ahead.
  • Scope as small as you can, and don't be ashamed to make your scope smaller if time isn't on your side. You can always add those optional features back when your core game is done if you have a bit of time left.

8. What can the admins do to improve your jam experience?

Nothing - always had a lovely time in this jam!

I had to pull out of the Winter 2018 jam because of computer trouble. But I made a puzzle game called Arcane for Winter 2019! (Windows download only, sorry!) I still want to return to this someday, but building levels in Game Maker was a bit of a kludge - I think Unity would be better for turning this into a long-term project.

Submitted

Hey im Luis, im a software engineer student and want to be a game developer in the future. Excuse me for my english if i misspell something, im not a native speaker :)

No, as i said ive always wanted to be a game developer, so im always interested in this things, but i never join because of fear, i dont know how to draw even a circle so thats a big problem for me when making a serius game.

I can start with Undertale, The witcher 3, Grand Theft Auto 5, going back a little when i was younger is tloz: Skyward sword, Guitar Hero, zelda ocarina of time, to the moon.
Ive always enjoyed games and new i wanted to be with them, but what really made me know i want to be a game developer was the time i was playing To the moon crying, and i go to my uncle who sees me and ask whats going on, and i just say: the game... is too good.
After that whith undetale in the final fight, grand theft auto 5 with its worl, they all made me make my choice: i want to create storyes and emotions too, i want to make people cry or smile with my stories, my own moments.

i have some experience with game maker studio 2, but outside that not much to tell, i did used unity but did not learn much, i dont think im capable of using it yet.

Videogames, they are basically the very reason im alive, if not for them depression would have killed me by now im sure.

I wish to practice a little, hopefully learn new things and if everything goes well maybe find some partners to make my game studio a reality and make a game that i have in mind.

(2 edits) (+1)

Hey, my name is Dmitry. I am 34 years old. I am a musician (guitar is my main instrument for 15 years or so) with a passion for composing music. My dream is to get into GameDev industry.

At my main job I work as a support manager in IT company, so I have understanding of technical stuff as well. And I am good at brainstorming :)

No, never. I would like to join for the first time and see how it goes in GameDev world

I have a lot of favorite games, I can start with my all time favs: Metal Gear Solid series, Uncharted series, GTA5, Half-Life 1&2 and Diablo. Not to count numerous 8 bit titles (Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales, Terminator 2, Tiny Toons, Battletoads, etc.). Speaking of indie games - VVVVV, Do Not Feed The Monkeys, Curious Expedition, Cook Serve Delicious. In overall, I like story driven games with interesting characters OR something that can make you feel relaxed with a strong atmosphere OR challenging games

I do not have any experience with game development. Although I composed 2 short tracks for a mobile game, one of them is available in my portfolio in SoundCloud (http://soundcloud.com/defremov85/sets/portfolio)

Music is my passion. Even though I am a fan of heavy music genres (like metal, thrash, djent, etc.), I try to stay diverse and do not limit myself only with these. That relates to both listening AND composing music. I am keen to develop myself further as a diverse composer in GameDev industry.

I would like to get more experience as a composer, and see what it means to be involved in developing a game project. I am also interested to see how game design works in reality.

Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 88 · Next page · Last page