itch.io Spring Selects Series A
On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

That personal challenges did you take for this jam?

A topic by astery created Apr 18, 2016 Views: 1,559 Replies: 28
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 26 · Next page · Last page
Submitted (1 edit)

I allow my self a small amount of pr. At the beginning of jam we brainstorm some game ideas, and came out with question - is it possible to make a first person view in 16x16 or 8x8? Ho, and maybe we can make it more hardcore and do it in plain c? And 18 of April here it is - 7x7 rpg =)

What personal challenges beyond of agenda did you take for this jam?

Submitted

In our case, we wanted to do some kind of online game for a while but using our own networking code instead of an integrated solution. After several days of crying and sleeping 5 hours a day we made it happen, check it out.

By the way, your game won't open in my computer! It can't find smpeg2.dll and libpng16-16.dll, even though the second one is there. I'm using Windows 10. Did you code it from scratch in C or C++? Kudos for that if it's the case. :D

Submitted(+3)

I had a simple one of just release something.

Past couple of years have been particularly difficult to get things done in, and I partially ended up with "coder paralysis" for want of a better term - know what to do, can see what to do, but can't concentrate enough to get it done in fear that it won't "be good enough".

Hopefully I've broken that cycle now, as I've a lot to do to get the Badgers back up on it's feet!

And yes, Sploosh! is a bit rough round the edges, but it's finished. It works. It's playable and there's a clear idea there to explore further.

So, that's a success then!

Submitted

Wow, making a multiplayer game is really a challange, respect for you. Visual style make me to recall "liero", and I fall in nostalgic mood =). I'm check it out in the evening for sure.

Application complains about missing libs, It's a shame for us. I've updated game page - added archive with missing libraries.

To answer the question - Yes, we make it from scratch in C (only, without C++) using SDL2 library. At the beginning not the one of two of us have a C skill =).

You said about several sleepless days - I wonder how many people working on the game and how many hours in total it took? In comparison, there was the two of us working about 2 hours in a day with some rare day offs and sleepless Friday and Sunday nights.

Submitted

It's been ages since I haven't coded anything game related in C / C++, I've gotta get some good old OpenGL game running. We were mostly three people working on the game, two programmers, one for the game and other for the server, and other person for the graphics. Except for the weekend we only had time to work on it on the nights so it was quite tiring -w-

Submitted

Made a game in 24 hours.

To be fair, it was less of a personal challenge and more of a "oh my god, I spent all my time on coursework and nearly forgot to make a LOWREZJAM game" scenario.

But hey, it got made!

Submitted

@Arcade Badgers, sure it success, and such a wonderful feeling! I want to remember it then it's 5 am, and you have light in your body and thought in a mind: "We made it. Is it true? ... We maid it! Started and finished to the end. Started and finished. ... Thanks, god, we made it, it wasn't easy." I want to remember it. I still have a some tremble in my arms =)

Submitted

hum, don't know if it was actually a challenge, but i saw a cool opportunity to make something in pixel-art, a thing i haven't used in my projects until this game. also i had no idea on how to make a platformer game, so was a nive learning experience

Submitted

I tried making my entry without taking any time off work or delaying the day-to-day things I had to take care of. On top of that I tried implementing some mechanics I hadn't really worked with before (lighting and masking, in this case). It didn't turn out too great due to an enormous lack of time to produce anything worthwhile, but hey. At least I learned a couple of new things :)

Submitted

Completed my first game jam. =)

Never worked with pixel art before and a fixed resolution of that size. I'm glad it was 2 weeks though I don't know if I could handle a weekend jam with family and work etc.

Submitted

Personally, I made a log of the beginning to end of jam submission. Trying to improve my writing skill with that.

The game I made for this jam was also a variant from my old game, same game mechanic but different aspects. I tried to reuse game mechanic I made in the past instead of making from scratch.

Submitted

I never heard of a game jam before this started, and then there was an invite in my email. Have I learned enough about Ruby to complete a game before the deadline?

I faced challenges implementing Classes and Modules with symbols and hashes in a way that prevents slow performance from constant looping.

Thanks to other posts here I discovered worlds of information, like this one that lists every mistake I did make:
https://itch.io/jam/january-2016-lisp-game-jam/top...

I ran the marathon and completed it. Now I run it again!

Submitted

Making the game as nice looking as I can with the colors black, orange, and orange-white. Secondly, I choose to have the sprites be 7x7px rather than 8x8 and having an odd number of pixels made designing tile sets a very different experience because of the way it disrupts patterns. It certainly gave Snake Pit a personality.

Submitted

Limited pallete is really in spirit of the jam.

Submitted

Finishing something I started was an accomplishment for me. Seeing that big green Published button next to my game is really neat.

That, and not getting cold feet half-way through the jam and giving up.

Submitted

I haven't really tried any pixel art in a long time, and certainly not at these constraints. I tacked on an additional 16 color challenge to get a bit more insight into that world too, from where I ended up borrowing the rather nice db16 palette of colors: http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12...

I also happen to be working on a game jam / game engineering teaching tool at http://superjami.com which has a retro 16 bit feature set, so retro things have been on my mind. My game actually runs scaled up 3X inside Super Jamicom, which mimics the old Super Nintendo resolution of 256x224, so this jam was actually retro to my retro fantasy console :) Sort of the way the SNES Gameboy player worked?

Anyway, I had a lot of fun. As always, any and all are welcome to try out my jam! https://subpixel.itch.io/inout Thanks!

Submitted

My main goal was to not pull an all nighter, and to experiment with art styles that I'm not so comfortable with (pixel art and character faces). I feel like I achieved more than I was hoping for on the latter and even though I had a few late nights, I slept every day, so wins all round \o/

Submitted

I used this game jam as an excuse to learn Python properly. I had some

In retrospect, it was a terrible idea, because, while python is cross platform, distributing it and our graphics/sound library has proved to be a major challenge, to the point that I don't think many people will play our game just because setting it up is a chore, unless you happen to be on linux.

Great fun though, and an excellent event.

Submitted(+1)

*blows raspberry at*

Submitted (2 edits)

Well, in first, was the first "playable" game that i made alone(except music, still don't know do this haha, but i'm trying) xD.

Hmm, and i just have experience with game engines, and on final of past year, i made my first game using a framework in c++(allegro), and i discover that i love do that hahaha. So, in this jam, i tried to use Love2D, but i had some issues in my code organization D: , then i remade the game in GameMaker. And I liked the final result xD.

And finally, I would like to congratulate all the persons who finish their games, really it's not easy o/.

Submitted (1 edit)

I spent about three days in total implementing the engine from scratch and tinkering with the WebGL shaders to properly align the pixels. For me this is also the first jam and I'm pretty happy that I've been able to deliver an MVP of the game, that is actually playable.

Submitted (2 edits)

What was really challenging was that I've joined this jam a week later after the jam started. This gave me a very limited amount of time, but me and my team managed to pull it off.

This was all done while learning more on how to make games with the Godot Game Engine.

Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 26 · Next page · Last page