Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Shout out if it's your first game jam!

A topic by Ms.RedNebula created Aug 26, 2019 Views: 1,262 Replies: 70
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 38 · Next page · Last page
Submitted

This is my very first time participating in a game jam. I'm an artist and gamer, and have always been fascinated by the idea of making games. I started learning Unity a few months back and have since made two games, both available here on itch.io. Each was done as a personal one-month challenge and I did devlogs over on YouTube for each one. I'll do one for this jam's game, Just A Circus, next week when the game is done! I'm recording video snippets of the process as I go.

I don't think I could make a game in two days yet like some jams require, but I felt like I was ready for a one-week challenge. I'm nervous about whether I can do it, but it's going well so far!

So if you're new like me, say hello! What's your story? Have you been making games long? How's your game going?

Submitted

It's my first Jam too, and first game I will bring to a finished state (hopefully). I think I might be a little late if I want to finish everything by the end of the week, but we'll see...

Submitted

It'll be fun one way or another - but hopefully you can complete your game in time!

Submitted

That was cute! Though I keep getting the poor goblins killed, haha. Congratulations on entering the jam!

Submitted (1 edit)

Thank you ^^

I'm not sure the idea of the game is very clear... I had to add the "Tutorial" really fast, like 2 hours before the jam ends because I realised that people wouldn't have a clue about what can be done.

Idk if you saw, but if you make a goblin attack another villager while being disguised, the villager will remember and will try to kill the actual villager you were disguised as... It was all working around that kind of thing, of villagers being confused between disguised Goblin and the real villagers.

I'll check your game tomorrow (in France it's 23:00pm) ^^

EDIT : And I was definetely late in the end, there isn't the Logo on the main menu, some bugs probably as I barely had time to test the game. I had a weird graphical glitch that I had to cover up the last 2 hours, but only in the build, not in Unity...

Submitted

This was my first too - I only realized because I saw people talking about it on twitter!

Decided to play safe and go simple. If you didn't manage to finish, keep at it - and if you did - think of ways to expand! there's always a thrill of completing a job well done!

https://itch.io/jam/cgj/rate/474650

Submitted

This is my first jam too! Though I have been making games a while.

Submitted

It's definitely a different experience with a short deadline. Good luck!

Submitted

Thanks!

Submitted

Rated! I made it all the way to the "room without walls" and had to give up for the moment. Great game, I think I'll go back and try to solve the rest of the puzzles later on after all the rating is over.

Submitted

Thanks! Whats your game?

Submitted

It's here: Just a Circus. :)

Submitted

Whooooo! (Mine too)

Submitted

Best of luck!

Submitted

Haha, love the twist ending! Rated!

Submitted

Haha thanks!

Submitted

Hi!! 

This is my first Jam too, and i just started the game today, because i focused in the game design and concept idea first and i'm happy. Whit some of work i'll finish in time to upload.

The art is very difficult to me, so i start the game with simple figures, but i like my idea. Here I show you a small part I have done.

Submitted

Your layout looks great and the art is just fine, especially for a jam game! I'll check it out when it's uploaded (after I finish mine, of course :D )

Submitted

Hi! 

I already posted my game, is short and cute, thanks for your interest, here i share the link:

https://diamondgreen.itch.io/who-is-who

Submitted

I'll have to come back to yours, I don't have a program that can open RAR files on this machine. I will get to it as soon as I can, though!

Submitted

Hello! First game jam over here as well!

It's been about 6 months since I seriously decided to start learning Unity. I did once create a fragile prototype of what could have been a game, but I never got to complete a project on my own. This community game jam came to me at the most suitable moment in my life, like it was fate. I'm excited!

Of course, my game won't be the game of the year, but I do intend to finish it in time. So far, it's a great start for me, especially considering my current abilities in game developing.

Good luck to yall! :D

Submitted

I feel the same way, I was really nervous of game jams, especially as most seemed to be super short timelines like two days. A one week jam that started right after I finished my second game was just perfect! And the fact that it's hosted by several of the YouTubers who helped me learn is even better. Best of luck to you too!

Submitted

Rated! I like the concept, the block colors "hiding" was a neat take on the jam's theme. Well done!

Submitted

Tbh, I'm just glad it worked lol.

Submitted

My first jam too... I just want Brackeys to Play my game... I found him on YouTube 6 months ago and since then I publish two games on Play Store, I stop smoking weed and procrastinating all days... my life overall is currently completely different expirience thanks to him.  ;)

Aaaand I think I will finish my game on time :)

Submitted

So glad to hear game dev has been a great influence for you! Good luck with your game!

It's my first jam too! I'm very excited, though I may not be able to finish in time. We'll see!

Submitted

Good luck, I hope you do!

this is my first game jam too and I'm having a lot of trouble with the code which is stopping me XD

Submitted

Sorry to hear that - coding can be tricky.  Hope you are able to finish your game, good luck!

First Jam too! I have half completed projects before but I'm hoping this will be my chance to finish one, i just hope i get it done on time!

Submitted

A deadline is a great motivator! Here's hoping you finish it. :)

Submitted

TL;DR : First Game Jam ! :)

(First of all, sorry if there is some mistakes, I'm not English sooo .. :D )

First Game Jam too !

I see that people are posting their lil' story about it and mine is a bit cool too so I'll try to explain.

Something like 10 years ago, I was playing on a game server with someone else and I was really happy to play with this person, it was one of the first game where I just wanted to go back in the game to share some good moments with someone else that I only know from / by this game.

Sadly, the server has stopped running and the Teamspeak (or Mumble, I don't remember) has stopped running at the same time.

Discord and every other things were not created / as popular as nowadays so sometimes if a game server was down, it was hard to find a person somewhere else.

Maybe one month ago, while talking to people from a YouTuber Discord server, I saw a profile pic' which was the same than this person had 10 years ago, what I was going to do was going to be soooo dumb, but I asked to this person if she was the same person than this person I was playing with 10 years ago.

Guess what ? I was right.

Less than one month later, we're - with a friend of her - participating to a Game Jam, 10 years later.

I always had game's ideas, dreams, etc. But I never took the time / had the opportunity to makes anything else than a Game Design Document.

This was the opportunity to finally make something.

I'm not good at Pixel Art, I'm not good at anything, but I'm trying to do my best to make them proud of our project and to be useful to them.

If we're uploading a game which makes them proud, I'll be the happiest guy of this Game Jam, trust me. :)

This was my lil' story about this first Game Jam, I hope we're gonna have the opportunity to make everything we wants and to make some others in the future.

Submitted

I love your story! I met my husband about 15 years ago in an online game (and he's working on the music for my jam game). It's amazing how games can bring people together in unexpected ways. Best of luck to you and your team!

Submitted

Awwwh Thx ! U2 Ms.RedNebula ! :D

(1 edit)

My first jam too and I hate designing 3d human models I modelled the body and arm but I cant attach arm to the body and I'm now on the road to register high school

Edit: Designing and animating human models is a lot fun but it takes time

Submitted

It's ambitious to do a 3D game for a jam. Good luck to you!

I was so near to complete the project it only needs one-day work and during the jam I went to register high school (12 hours from here to school) so I wasted 2 days and I'll just publish it in a week in itch.io with fps controller from standard assets (its way better than my code).

Submitted

Yay, a bunch of you have that lovely "Submitted" tag next to your name! I'm going to go through and rate everyone's games from this thread.

I'd love it dearly if you'd rate mine too! It's a small puzzle platformer and is playable in the browser. I'd love to hear what you think!

Just A Circus

And for those who didn't make it, it's okay! I hope you had fun and got a good start on an awesome game regardless.

Submitted

Finished and rated it. I had fun, I always like myself a good puzzle. I rated graphics as this game's strongest point.

Good job overall! :)

This is my first game jam and Game!

https://itch.io/jam/cgj/rate/477166

Submitted

Hmm, I'm getting an error trying to play yours. :( I tried putting the UnityPlayer.dll file from one of the other games in the folder, but then got a different error. Any ideas? I love the title of your game!

Submitted (1 edit)

My first solo game jam ^-^

https://awander.itch.io/common-pursuit

Submitted

I love that style! Had a little trouble with the controls, as my mouselook seemed to be going very slow. I did make it to the Destination... talk about the game being a liar!

Submitted

Yep! First Game Jam, published game, and first time on itch.io. What a great community the Brackeys Team and other channels have. Looking forward to playing a lot of everyone's games!

Submitted

Very cute, I love the little slime character! I got pretty stuck on one of the rooms (the fourth screenshot on your page). I kinda feel like there's a twist I need to get to the end to see, but I enjoyed the gameplay and the first cutscene was really funny!

Submitted

Ah yes, difficulty. Had some issues with that but thanks for the feedback! Thanks also for watching the cutscene!

Submitted

Here's mine. ^_^

https://itch.io/jam/cgj/rate/476312

Submitted

I have run some game jams but for the first time in itch.io, and I definitelly enjoyed that! 

Submitted

Fun take on Tetris, and the style and effects were really nice looking. Rated!

Submitted (1 edit)

My first Jam where I actually submitted anything.

Tried to a few times but never managed to get enough time to make anything of it, not even reached prototype stage ;)

This time I went with a very simple idea that required a minimum of graphics and ditched every idea that was not necessary and managed to get it done :)

Even if I as usual had almost no time, actually Joined Wednesday evening right before sleep, spent some time Thursday evening trying to find an idea, and experiment with some models and learning blender (tried it 10 years ago but never got anything working).
Friday evening I built the models and got them visible in unity with coloring.
And finally Saturday, after an anniversary I finally got to coding, 3½ hours before submission time.

It shows in the result, its crude, to say the least, the text is hard to read and one model i missing faces that is probably in the wrong direction. 

But I did finally submit something that technically works :P

https://itch.io/jam/cgj/rate/477015

Submitted

It's still awesome you got a game submitted after all of that! Rated!

Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 38 · Next page · Last page