SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

FAQ for the rating period Sticky

A topic by TheDutchMagikarp created Aug 08, 2020 Views: 3,392 Replies: 71
Viewing posts 1 to 26
Jam HostSubmitted (1 edit) (+5)

Uploading/submitting related questions

Q: Can I update my game after uploading?
A: No you can't. File uploads are disabled. Don't try to, because if you delete your game file in the process you also won't be able to reupload it and therefore not have a game.

Q: I had problems submitting! Can you help me submit it anyway?!
A: No. There was a 1 hour grace period in which you could ask for our help with this, but that has long passed. We will not help anyone else upload their game.

Q: I am 10000000000% sure I submitted to the jam but it says I didn't so I can't rate, what's wrong?!
A: Check your game page if you actually submitted it to the jam. If you did, it will show you a banner of it being a submission to the jam. If that's not there, you didn't properly submit to the jam and I refer you to the previous question. 

Q: How do I add people to my team?
A: Go to your game page -> edit game -> more -> admins. From here, add their itch.io username as an admin and mark them as a contributor to the game.

Rating related questions

Q: I worked in a team and was not the person who submitted the game, but it says I can't rate because I didn't submit! How do I fix this?!
A: Ask the person who submitted to add you as a contributor to the game. For how to do this, see the above question.

Q: Where do I see my current score?

A: You can't. Scores are only shown after the rating period ends.

Making changes

Q: Can I change the page of my game?
A: Yes, only file uploads are disabled.

Q: Can I make changes to the game after the rating ends?
A: Yes! After the rating period ends, you are free to do whatever with your game! Upload all fixes and content updates you want!

If there are any other questions, please ask them as a new reply in this post. I will answer them and keep the post updated.

Submitted(+1)(-1)

Oh haha this is better than my thread, thank you! :)

Submitted(+3)

Sorry question to add here, and perhaps this is a silly one :) Once the rating period is finish is that lock lifted for updates/changes or do we have to re-upload our projects if we want them to live on as living portfolio pieces? :)

Jam HostSubmitted

Hey, good question! Just added it to the list!

You are free to change the project in any way you want after the lock lifts!

Submitted

Thank you, and thanks for hosting this! :)

Submitted(+2)

so i  cant edit the project as like upload files .

but can i add screenshots/change the image of my game?

Jam HostSubmitted

Yes, you can still change the page of your game. Only file uploads are disabled.

Submitted

ok thanks!

Submitted

im getting a bit paranoid changing the game page. By disabled do you mean you we cannot upload anything even if we tried ? e.g. like a team member cannot accidentally upload a new game zip ?

Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

You can not upload any new file in the uploads category of your game page.

Submitted

thats good to know Mr Magikarp

Submitted

I'm sorry for bothering you, but I uploaded two build for Linux, and marked one of them as for Windows. Now anyone can play my game on Windows:( Is it possible to just change the wrong build? Could you please assist me with this. I can send you my build if it is impossible to do by myself. 

Jam HostSubmitted

No, we are not allowing any changes to builds or new uploads.

Submitted(+1)

thaks for host the jam 

Jam HostSubmitted

No problem! Hope you had fun.

Submitted

Submitted

Will any of the games be played by Brackeys and/or showcased on his channel?

Jam HostSubmitted(-3)

We can't make any promises on games being played by Brackeys in a video!

Submitted

Not like GMTK Jam  so?

Jam HostSubmitted(-1)

No, not like the GMTK jam.

Submitted

Thanks for clearing up things!

Submitted

Accidentally deleted game file from submission :(

Ok, so this kinda sucks... I accidentally pressed the delete button for an uploaded game file that was submitted in time. :(
It was gone even though I never saved the edited page.

Is there a way to get it re-uploaded again? I have the same exact file available.

Submitted

No i dont thing there is as stated in the answer to the first question on the list sorry but u wont be able to submit it :(

Jam HostSubmitted

As stated in the answers, we are not allowing new uploads or changes to existing uploads. If you deleted your build that is of course horrible, but we are not going to allow you to re-upload. Sorry!

Deleted post
Jam HostSubmitted(+2)

The jam page states:

The best overall game, and as well the best games in each of the rating categories will be the "true winners". They will get showcased at the top of the page and on our Discord server (including a fancy role).

This means that the highest rating of all categories will be the winners. There will also be an overall winner that has the highest average rating. The only thing the jam hosts do to influence this is checking if the winner in each category has a minimum of 20 votes, if not the first next entry in that category with the highest rating that does qualify for a win (20+ votes) will be the category winner. 

Deleted post
Submitted (1 edit)

Q: Can I change the page of my game?
A: Yes, only file uploads are disabled.

So just to make 100% certain, I can update my cover photo etc as its not considered to be part of the 1 week deadline? I'm paranoid about even clicking the edit button in case I somehow get myself removed

Submitted

Yea you can change the photo cover just don't delete the  zip.file

Submitted

Many of the games in the "Requires more ratings" list, seem to be there mostly because they aren't actually playable (missing files, etc.)

Can anything be done about these submissions cluttering up this valuable list, considering they can't be fixed at this point?

Jam HostSubmitted(-1)

I will see if one of the organisers has time to go through those submissions and remove the broken ones. If not I will do it tonight (in ~12-13 hours from now.

Submitted

I don't want to be pushy, but it's been 15 hours and there's still a lot of broken submissions on the list.

Jam HostSubmitted(-1)

Hey!
Yes sorry about that. I guess none of the other organisers had time yesterday and after working in high temperatures for ~9 hours I was kinda messed up... Just went through the list of submissions that need ratings and think I removed most of the ones that don't work. If you find any others, please leave a comment so I can check it and remove it!

Submitted

I make a mistake by deleting my game file at my page, i didn't save the page tho because i thought it will revert the changes, but unfortunately it didnt. Can i make a request to revert my original files to my game page ? thanks.

Submitted

Nope as TheDutchMagikarp said they won't allow you till the end of the ratings

Submitted (1 edit)

I saw this reply on previous brackey game jam community. Can we use this method again ?

Jam HostSubmitted

No.

Submitted

:(

Deleted 3 years ago
Submitted(+1)

Rating related question:

Other than the minimum of 20 ratings, does your games final rank benifit from more people rating it or not? In other words will our games rank be punished if we don't make 200 people rate it?

Submitted

I would also be interested in an answer to this, please!

Jam HostSubmitted(+3)

Hey! No, having more people rate your game does not improve your rating itself.

Submitted(+2)

Hello Mr Magikarp, I think if you made an official post saying this. People will stop the Rate for Rate nonsense.

Submitted

Thank you for clearing this up!

Submitted

Can I upload webgl file after submitting download file in jam and submission time is over?

Jam HostSubmitted

No. During the rating period (now), new file uploads are locked. This means you can't upload ANY new files, including webGL.

After the rating period is over, you can of course upload new files like a webGL build.

Deleted 3 years ago
Submitted

Stop spamming in caps everywhere. That's a good way to get banned. If you can't communicate in a decent and civilized manner, then don't.

Deleted 3 years ago
Submitted

Hi! Here's my case, my canvas configuration is wrong and it doesn't scale correctly. Can I upload, in a different project, a fixed version and leave a link on the original? It is only for streaming or recording purposes, so it will look good in any resolution or fullscreen. 

Jam HostSubmitted

No.

Submitted

Hey so about rating:

Is it the average of all the ratings you've got?

Submitted

I think they said something about it being weighted, so people who rate everyone badly will not influence ratings by a lot. 

Submitted

Hello, is there a possibility of shortening the raiting period? It is very long and right now almost no one is playing or rating games. 

Submitted

eh? ratings have gone up 1.5k or more today and I presume there will be a lot more ratings coming in Fri/Sat/Sun

Submitted

You are eight about today, I didn't check it. But yesterday and the days before it showed constant decline and I remeber that yesterday especially almost no one rated games. 

The community tab has also really slown down. 

Jam HostSubmitted

Hey! No we won't shorten the rating period.

First of all it would be weird to say "You have this much time to rate" and then just shorten it by half.
Secondly, not everyone has time during the same days. There are also people that have full time jobs during the week and are too tired to play games after they come home. They can use the weekend coming up, for example.

Submitted

Ok, you have a point about shortening it.

But why did you choose 2 weeks in the first place? 1 week allows for a weekend, and plenty of time for people to try to rate.

Submitted (2 edits)

You have a decent point given that your game is rated by 23 others and is qualified to compete (as 20 is minimum). But not everyone is as lucky as you because there are 1869 other games and many of them are still not able to reach even 10 ratings. So be patient, or better, work on a new project. Don't feel bad for what I just said :D

Edit: Time is needed to play these much games so more and more of the games are able to cross 20 ratings :)

Submitted

I understand what you are saying, but I do have a problem with saying that I am lucky. 

I rated tons of games. I had put up a thread even before the rating started that offeree people to just post the game there and I will rate it. But it wasn't a rate for rate. Most people ignored my request that they also take the time to check my game. 

I used all the time I had for like 3 days straight to rate games and give lots of feedback. 

So please don't say that I am lucky to have 23 ratings since I have worked hard to rate other people's games and if anything, needing to ask people to rate my game so that I can pass 20 ratings after spending so much time on ratings shows how much the rating system has broken this community. People aren't willing to play each other's game unless they get something in return. We are so caught up in making that rating number go up that we lost our ability to enjoy games. And what is the point in playing games, if you don't enjoy it? 

The problem is not with the length of time, it is with itch. With the rating system. Why isn't karma the default? Not that anyone browses games. I am not sure what itch can do about it but I do know that ludom dare doesn't have this problem, or at least didn't have it. 

Sorry if this reply is a bit... Not nice? I just had to get this off my chest. 

Submitted

No problem!! It's okay! The thing is you can't do anything about the current situation. The best is to just wait for the results.. Better start working on something else to divert the mind from "results in x days". Let's not take this discussion further XD

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Oh, of course, yes, I have moved on to other prjects. It's just not going very well so I am procrastinating on it here lol. 

Submitted

In submissions Page, in filter tab what is meant by most Karama....?   

Deleted post
Submitted(+1)

thanks for reply

Submitted

I believe you also lose karma when your game is rated. So the most karma games are the games with the highest ratio between amount of games rated and amount of ratings. 

It might also take comments as a parameter, not sure. 

Submitted

when brackeys video about the jam?

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

They said they can't promise there will be one in response to an earlier post in this thread. 

Submitted

Thanks for hosting. I really enjoyed my first game jam

Jam Host

Awesome! Sounds like we need to host more jams! (Or join one of the many jams currently being hosted ;) )

Submitted

Will we get the results after the voting ends?

Jam Host

Yep! They can be found on the jam page: https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-4 and for all results go to https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-4/results

Submitted

Since the voting is done can we update the game

Jam Host

Yep! The jam has finished so uploads are enabled again :)

Submitted

Thanks! :D also thanks for hosting the jam, I had a LOT of fun! This was my first jam and i definitely would do another again!