SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions Sticky

A topic by Lee Reilly created Nov 01, 2020 Views: 4,858 Replies: 66
Viewing posts 1 to 29
Jam Host(+4)

Hi there!

In no particular order, here are answers to some frequently asked questions. Please let me know if anything's unclear or you have more questions and I'll keep this updated.

Can we use Unity or Unreal Engine?

Yes!

Can we use pre-made assets?

Absolutely, although many people will create their own. I'd recommend adding some attribution in your GitHub repository's README.

> Can we use pre-made code?

The use of game engines, libraries, templates for new games, etc. is fine. In fact, it's highly encouraged! Taking a game you've been working on for months, or forking a game and changing some pixels is probably not in the spirit of the jam :)

> Can we sell the games (for the jam or post jam)?

Absolutely!

> Is there a twitter hashtag?

The official hashtag is #GitHubGameOff. We 💜 seeing work-in-progress screenshots throughout the month! <3

> Are games allowed if they contain 18+ content?

No restrictions on content, but if it's something I wouldn't show my kids or grandparents... then it may be less likely that it'll appear on our blog 😎 Please also see itch.io's note on adult content.

> What are the voting categories?

Similar to last year, games will be rated on the following: Overall, Gameplay, Graphics, Audio, Innovation and Theme Interpretation.

> What kinds of licenses are required/accepted for the public GitHub repo?

You're welcome to use whatever kind of license you wish! See this documentation for tips on choosing / applying a license.

> Can I edit the game after the submission period?

Please don't change the game on the itch.io page until after the voting period ends. If there's a bug that seriously affects/prevents playability that's a "quick fix", please feel free to address it. Just leave a note on the itch.io page saying what you changed and why. Since the code is not being judged, you can update the GitHub repository any time.

(+2)

Hey Lee! Is it okay if we want to use some cover music?  Of  course we will play the music ourselves!

Jam Host

Hi - I'm not a lawyer and am not that familiar with music / cover / copyright law, so I can't really comment unfortunately. Anyone else have input here? My suggestion would be to use this as an excuse to work on that number one hit you've always wanted to write / play 🎤🤩🎶

okay I got that! thx for the advice!

Submitted

I would look this up, as I'm not a lawyer either (I would myself, but I simply do not have time, some of the reasons obvious LOL!)...but I THINK the law is that you can copyright lyrics, but not melodies...  In fact, if this were not the case, I can think of some professional artists that need to be placed under arrest xD...  So if you are playing it, I think you're good if it's the melody.

Submitted

uhoh!!!

I used music that someone else wrote! I have credited them in my game’s itch page + github repo: https://avivajpeyi.itch.io/moonshot

@Lee – do you think I should remove this? I assumed that since the music file is royalty-free it should be ok?

Submitted(+1)

Hey Avi, I’m not a lawyer either, but the important thing here is the licence terms you got the music under. It’s from Pixabay, yeah? The Pixabay licence says you can use it for free, commercially or non-commercially, as-is or modified, as long as you’re not putting it on another stock-music website, selling it unmodified, or using it in a way that portrays someone negatively or implies any brand of theirs is associated with you. As long as you’re not doing that, you should be fine. (The question, as I understand it, was about making your own version of someone else’s music, possibly without their permission, which is not what you’ve done.)

Submitted

Phew!! Thanks a lot @Perey!

Cool, I also got permission from the composer to use the work so hopefully, all should be fine :)

(+2)

Does the source code have to be public? or can it be private and then shared afterwards if needed for Judging. 

Jam Host

Feel free to develop in a private repo and flip it to public when you submit it 👍🏻

Submitted(+1)

Do we have to include every part of our game in the public facing repo, or can we just add the things we want to share?

(+1)

I've  the same question of @Xerxes, because is you're using some paid library or assets, I understand that will be complicate put the code open

(+1)

Quick question. Is there a limit to how many games we can submit? (Also I love the unique theme)

Jam Host(+2)

You can submit as many games as you like.  And thank you! You have no idea how long I obsess over the theme for months beforehand  / how much I worry folks will hate it 😀

I actually agree about the theme! So many possibilities, and much better than most themes... I hope I get to join and make something good.

Jam Host
<3
(1 edit)

Can someone create a browser (HTML, CSS, javascript) game, accompanied by a database and/or web services?

Thank you in advance.

Jam Host

Absolutely! Bonus points if the DB/web services are in a repository too, or you mention in the README what's required, how they're configured, etc.

I was thinking to upload the database as well. Do I have to submit all data or just some indicative? I was thinking about an educational game but I wouldn't like the users to see the answers ;) At least not all of them.

Jam Host

That's completely up to you. I'd say have enough data / documentation to populate the dev/test database would be good... for folks who might want to try to building it themselves :)

Submitted

can we use Bolt?

Jam Host

Absolutely.

y cant i submit my work

Submitted(+1)

Can we submit the same game to other game jams (if the other game jam also allow it)?

Jam Host

Absolutely 👍🏻

Submitted

Are there any approved logos/images for the GameOff jam that we would be allowed to use in submissions? I'd like to include a "Made for GameOff 2020" ident at the start of my game.

Jam Host

You're welcome to use any of these ones: https://gist.github.com/leereilly/a07819d2434b7dbc9db4656f27cffd7f

Submitted

Lee,

Could I use the header image from the main Game Off page in my game? If so, who is the artist? I would like to make sure they get credit.

Submitted

I already use that image in my game, if you have to change it please comment

https://gamermig.itch.io/moonshot

Jam Host

Hi there - the artist is João Ribeiro. I'm sure he'll be thrilled to make it into a game's credits :)

Are teams allowed

Jam Host

Absolutely!

Hey Lee, once i have created a repo in github how do I connect it to the competition? 

Jam Host(+1)

Hi there - if you've joined the jam, you should see a 'Submit your project' button on the main page. You just need submit your itch.io project, and enter the URL for your GitHub repo in the submission form.

Submitted

Hi,
Are the submissions hidden on purpose and they are going to be revealed after the deadline?
I also don't see on registered people's profile any ongoing development regarding to this jam. Is it a common practice to not reveal the whole development process before the deadline?

Jam Host(+1)

Hi there - I'm not sure what the common practice is, but I've temporarily hidden the submissions to tackle some minor spam issues. You'll see it open again soon.

Cheers,
  Lee

Submitted

I also have a question related to @mandyedi’s. Is it allowed to submit a game, and update it once in a while before the deadline? I thought it would be nice to share our progress.

Jam Host

Absolutely! That's encouraged / expected :)

Submitted

How do I send my game? I only put the repository link? and what do we win? are there any rewards?

Jam Host

Hi there - if you've joined the jam, you should see a 'Submit your project' button on the main page. You just need submit your itch.io project, and enter the URL for your GitHub repo in the submission form. No rewards... other than the satisfaction of building a game of course :)

Where to find the theme for the jam?

Submitted

in the overview section

https://itch.io/jam/game-off-2020

Submitted

Are we allowed to port the game to other platforms after the submission deadline?

For example: If we release a Windows version of our game before the end of the month would it be okay to release Mac or WebGL versions during the voting period, assuming we don't make any changes to the released Windows build?

Jam Host

I think that would be fine as long as you make a note of it on the game page.

Submitted

Great, thanks!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Is a public GitHub repo required for this jam? What if there are certain assets that we do not want or cannot share? I.E. Paid content or assets that we would rather keep private. This is piggybacking off of @Xerxes and @aperezg replies to an earlier question. 

Submitted

I'm not staff, but from the instructions on the jam page:

> Create a new public GitHub repository to store the source code and any assets you’re able to share for your entry 

So yes a public github repository is required, but it doesn't need to include any assets you're not able to share. So any paid content or assets you can't redistribute in source form (or that are just too large for the VCS) can be omitted from the public repo.

Jam Host

Hi - yes, a public repository is required. If there are any assets you don't have the rights to share, just omit them. Bonus points if you make a note of any omissions / dependencies in the project README and/or provide placeholder assets :)

Submitted

Will we get a cool badge on our GH profile to say we participated?

Jam Host

No badges for this particular event I'm afraid.

Submitted(+1)

How long is the voting period usually?

Jam Host

Usually 4 weeks. This one will be 3 :) 

Submitted

Thank  you!

Submitted

Lee could you get a quick little late submission

i worked so hard on this game but got a little late due to some technical difficulties

my game is built and ready as of before the deadline

would be great if you would allow late submission

Jam Host(+1)

No problem - you should be able to submit via this link:
https://itch.io/jam/12654/add-game/839633?token=qAz97uAgCO2Jy3otClk4KrdIL4

Submitted

thank you soo much man can i post this link in the thread about late submission?

Submitted (1 edit)

Hi, I had the same issue regarding late submission (missing the deadline by a few seconds). 

I'm not able to open that URL, though.  Is the URL broken? (i.e. I get ERROR -404 page not found)

Submitted(+1)

Sorry for being so impatient, but I am really stressed out right now. 

I spent a lot of time developing this game, and it is my first Game Jam participation. Is there any possibility to let me submit my game to the contest? 

Submitted

I had internet connectivity issues just before upload, can I please upload my game? https://reitenator.itch.io/moonpunchman

Submitted (1 edit)

Is there any way I can get my game submitted? I had it built before the deadline but the uploads took way longer than expected.

https://lennyphoenix.itch.io/haze-3

https://github.com/LennyPhoenix/GameOff2020

Submitted (2 edits)

How Do I get  a submission link? So I have joined the jam ages ago and tried to submit but have no place to submit. Am I missing something?
https://t0asted.itch.io/stranded

The reset button of our game is invalid. We need to change it. Now that the game has been submitted, can it be modified during the voting period? Because I am a foreigner, I am not sure about your explanation.

Submitted

Hey is there any info on the later links?

Submitted

Hi there! Our current release can't be enjoyed entirely due to a bug. What are the specific steps required to post a quick fix? Thank you!

Submitted

Hey can we upload new version with fixed bugs? We would label it thanks

Submitted

Will ratings be released immediately after voting ends or will there be a waiting period? 

Hey, there. I'm not sure if i misunderstood or was it unclear but when i've uploaded a game i set it to be released next year, and i didn't know it means people can't download my game until then. Now i'm trying to fix that but no success, this option can't be changed... :( Do i have to make a new submission or there is a way to do that? thanks!