Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

FAQ Sticky

A topic by phillip created Dec 02, 2019 Views: 2,915 Replies: 70
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 24 · Next page · Last page
Host(+1)

Any questions you may have post here and I will get back to you ASAP!

What game engines can we use?
and does it have to include sound?

Host (2 edits)

Any game engine of your choice! Sound is not required.

Edit: As Tobias pointed out in this thread game engines that have a set resolution would not be allowed unless you could scale/ work within the required resolution.

(+1)

Does the game need to be created within the duration of when submissions are open? And do we need to use our own created assets made within the submission time?

(+1)

Probably.

Host(+1)

Yes and yes. Two different fonts are provided under the “Resources” page but so far that is it. 

(+1)

ok cool, new to game dev so i'm excited for this :D

Host(+1)

Awesome to hear! This is a great jam for a new dev. I am looking forward to playing your game!

(+5)

Some game engines (PICO-8Octo) have a set resolution that can't be changed.

Is it allowed to make a game with a resolution that's higher than the 3310's resolution, as long as you only actually use 84x48 pixels within that viewport?

Alternatively, is it allowed to make a game with a lower resolution than 84x48?

Host (1 edit) (+2)

I forgot about those engines! The game resolution must be 84x48 in landscape or portrait so if the engine cannot scale/work in that requirement it would not be allowed. 

I can only speak in Game Maker terms but your camera should be 84x48/48x84. You can leave the viewport at the required resolution or scale it for players so they are not looking at a tiny game window.

If you want to work in a lower resolution as an artistic choice it would have to be scaled up to the required resolution.

I hope that makes sense and answers your questions! 

Submitted (1 edit) (+3)

I think really the question is whether we're allowed to do something along the lines of letterboxing a game down to 84x48. For example, here's a very simple "SuperChip" CHIP-8 program which logically runs at 128x64 pixels, but which fills the border with a solid matte. The light-colored region of the screen, where one would draw game graphics, is 84x48: http://johnearnest.github.io/Octo/index.html?key=aQPWzRRq

Octo can use any colors for its palette (there are 2-color and 4-color palette modes available, the former of which is suitable for this Jam), but I think PICO-8 is off the table because its palette cannot be altered to meet the jam requrements.

Host(+2)

The example you posted would be allowed. As long as the player is only seeing 84x48 at a time. Thanks for clarifying as I am not familiar with these engines!

Submitted(+1)

Great, thanks for clarifying!

(+2)

Yeah, Internet Janitor explained my question better.  Thanks for clarifying!

(+1)

i dont know if im just being dumb or not, but the game doesn’t have to run on the NOKIA 3310, right?

like it has to follow all the limitations and everything, but its still a windows exe?

Host (1 edit) (+1)

Nope! Your game does not have to run on a NOKIA 3310.  We're just using the restrictions as a design space! 

(1 edit) (+1)

I think I don't know exactly what a "monophone" sound mean... Is that a sound even simpler than 8-bit?

P.S. Regarding the graphics, do the pixels have to snap?

Host (1 edit)

Take a look at these two examples from last year's jam. I think they both did the sound very well. 

https://clonedeath.itch.io/sokoban-nokia-3310

https://machinescreen.itch.io/hwy3310

If I am understanding your P.S. correctly they do not have to "snap".  You can see the pixels move relatively smoothly in this gameplay video Jannick provided for last year's jam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32PsXnU1070&feature=emb_title 

I hope that helps let me know if you need any more clarification!

Regarding the sound I think I more or less understand now... Just square wave and only one channel.

The pixel part is a big relief. If pixels need to snap (such that a sprite in a fraction position) the programming would be nightmare.

I also found this recreation of the Nokia Composer online while playing around which might be useful for reference:

https://codepen.io/mog13/pen/WYRJQJ

Yo thanks! Definitely will check it out!

(+1)

I want to use regular HTML5 Canvas for this jam. Can I pre-made my own framework before the jam start? It will just a Drawing Method and maybe some Loop method for current plan. I'll add some necessary thing later when the jam started or maybe add a lib.

Host(+1)

If your framework doesn't put you ahead of others using a full game engine it should be okay. Your core game should only be made in the time limit specified. Use your best judgement.

Alright, thanks for clarifying. I'll work on it now.
You can oversee it at my github if you want.

Submitted(+1)

Is it more accurate to  use landscape over portrait?

Host

All real Nokia 3310 games were landscape so in that sense it would be more accurate. Making your game portrait would mean you turn the Nokia sideways to play if it was actually on the phone.

(+2)

The Nokia 3310 display has a resolution of 84 * 48 px, but they are not square pixels. 
Is it allowed to use a custom shader to use non-square pixels to match the real dimensions of a Nokia 3310?

In this example, one pixel is 3 by 4.

Compare that to using square pixels:

(2 edits)

is it 3by4 ratio exactly? iv been writing my engine and went with 7by9 pixel ratio that seems approximately alright to me.
also would it be alright to do ghosting and low fps?
if you wanna check out the html5 engine

I don't know anymore if 3 by 4 is the exact ratio. I looked up a reference image of a Nokia 3310 and eyeballed the display.
If it's  actually 7 by 9, great! Personally, I'll use 3 by 4, because it's easier to scale up.
Also nice work on the engine! But I'll go for Godot.

fair enough, would love to see how you will setup Godot to emulate the lcd look

Host(+1)

Anything you want to do to try and make your game more accurate to the original Nokia 3310 would be allowed! 

This is great stuff! You should make a standalone post about it!

Host(+1)

Interesting! I did not know this. This would be allowed as you're just trying to make it as accurate  as possible. I would make sure you put a disclaimer on your game page explaining what you did so people don't think you're disobeying the resolution rules. 

(+1)

I haven't done a game jam before.
What are the rules/etiquette about doing work before the actual jam period?

I'm probably going to get an environment set up implementing the constraints in advance, but I guess doing much more than that would probably be too much?

(+1)

yes pretty much see that you have a working pipeline to draw stuff on screen, if your not to fermiliar with the engine your using try making a simple pong (or snake clone) to see everything is working just something to check the display functions, sound and inputs. little helper functions I would also still consider if there generic enugh like printing text, drawing shapes, or key rebinding and screen scale options. this would be the maximum amount you could do in my opinion.

Host

This is a good answer! Your core game should be made from start to finish only in the allotted time. As long as you’re not doing more than someone starting fresh using a full game engine (game maker, unity) you should be fine. Like jeana says definitely take some time to familiarize yourself with whatever engine you’re using before the jam starts so you’re not going in blind! Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you need! 

Deleted 3 years ago
(+1)

i think that you should follow the nokia 3310's limitations, you couldn´t use panning, volume envelopes or add filters or custom waveshapes, i also think you can't do pitch bends, you could play diferent notes, but couldn't bend them, and also you can't play more that one note at the same time. Hope this comment is helpfull :D

Host

This!

Deleted 3 years ago

Are we allowed to participate in a  Team? Or is this a single person jam?

Host

Teams are allowed or you can go solo. Just keep in mind that with the available prizes there is a limited amount of keys so if a team wins you will all have to decide how the prize is split. This was a small oversight from me. I realize it's not optimal but we're a little too close to start to change.

Alright, understood! Thanks for the reply c:

Actually, another question! Are any type of games allowed? Meaning whether it be a Platformer, RPG, Bullet Hell, etc.? and how long is the maximum playtime allowed for the games?

Host

Any type of game is allowed. Playtime can be however long you'd like!

How many frames per second should it run at?

Host

Its hard to get a specific number but if you're trying to make your game as accurate to the original as possible Jeana settled on 15 fps. Click here to see that post. Otherwise just stick with 30/60 fps. 

Submitted

How strict are the color requirements? Some engines (looking at pico-8) can accommodate the resolution but not the colors EXACTLY (see example image). Given that people are already playing it a little loose with things like pixel fade and such, can we get away with being slightly off-color?

(+2)

I don't know the actual answer here, but you could make the game as normal in PICO-8 and change the colors manually for the HTML export that you submit to the jam here on itch (it's easy enough to change the color vales in the exported JS). And you can approximate the colors better than that using the extended secret palette (one of the secret colors is #125359, for example), although you obviously can't get them exact.

Submitted(+1)

I just checked, it is indeed easy enough to just hack the JS output and swap the colors for the desired jam colors.

For pico-8 devs who are interested - after exporting to html, open the generated javascript file. The pico-8 color palette is stored as RGB values, comma separated, no spaces. If you want to replace RED (index 8) with another color, just search for "255,0,77" and then swap these with your new desired RGB.

Thanks!

Host(+1)

Awesome! Good stuff.

Is it possible to create 84x84 resolution game using Unity?

Well, 84 x 48 - but yes, I'm just downloading my project from last year so I can put it on Github, then you can see how I did it - I'm sure there's many ways.

(+2)

https://github.com/1888games/Horace3310

Don't remember exactly how I did it, you'll need to set a custom view resolution of 840 x 480 in the Game tab. To be honest if I was doing it again I might do it a different way, but I'm probably doing this year's jam in something else.

thanks man,

based on your project, it seems only setup the size of camera view. I will do the same to my project

Submitted(+1)

Is it the physical pixels themselves that have to be 48x84 or can we fake it with larger "pixels" made out of rectangles? I'm currently trying to work out of Love2D and there doesn't seem seem to be an option to scale up the pixel size and make the screen more readable.  

Host(+1)

If I am understanding correctly yes you can. Sounds like in the end you're basically just scaling it up. Scaling up is completely fine and I would recommend it so people aren't actually trying to play on 84x48 resolution on modern screens. 

(2 edits)

Yeah, also have to make sure the big 'pixels' only move in 1/84 steps. This sort of rules out physics engines because they will move everything on a granular level, if you move things yourself you can round to the nearest 'pixel'. In last year's game I stored the position at a precise level, but when it came to actually moving the object I rounded. Then you can get smooth acceleration that still snaps to pixels, rather than speed being clamped to 1, 2, 4, 8 pixels per frame.

Having written that you could use physics, just hide the 'real' object and show an object which takes the real object's position and rounds it before displaying.

Submitted (2 edits)

Awesome thanks! Yeah im just scaling it up and working from there.

Yeah in testing out the implementation i had to find work arounds to keep everything snapped to the pixel grid and constrained down to the nokia's fps. I ended up turning every pixel into a 1x1 rectangle and the scaling methods in Löve2d seemed to handle it. For the fps i just gated any calls inside the update and draw functions to happen only on the specific frames.

Plus homebrew collision detection are so much easier when you're dealing with movements expresed in integers.

(1 edit)

Hey!

The question about controls - can you  have up to 12 buttons using any buttons on the keyboard or they should be placed like they would on the phone? For example, from 1-2-3 and down to z-x-c?

Host

You can do either. You can go with an arrow keys/wasd for convenience or a big block of keys to simulate the actual nokia keyboard. I would recommend giving the option of either but depending on what 12 block of keys you choose it might be difficult to support. Keep in mind that if you choose to use the numpad exclusively you might be excluding people who don't have a keyboard with a numpad.

Why are only 12 buttons usable, and not 16? Is that how it was on the old Nokia 3310? Couldn't the games utilize the C, select and arrow keys on top?

(Not that I plan to use 16 buttons necessarily, mostly curious.)

Host

This was a rule carried over from last year and if I remember the controls for space impact and snake I found only used the keypad. The four buttons (C, select and arrow keys) were more for menu navigation/things outside the game. Ill look into it and update the rules for next year if I discover anything else.

(+1)

Not a biggie, I was mostly just wondering if they were captured by the OS and not available for games on the old 3310 or something. Thanks!

So, the resolution is 84 x 48 for this jam, but can we multiple it by 10 to be 840 x 480 and each pixel in the design will be 10 pixels instead of 1. I just want to do this to be the game more pleasant to play rather than looking at a small canvas. 

it's the same restrictions but bigger canvas.

Yes, it's already been established in another response that it's OK to scale the canvas

(1 edit)

Can I participate using a "port" of one of my existing games? By that I mean I'd make the game use the required resolution, colours and audio capabilities and thus redo all assets. But the actual logic might work just fine. Is it allowed to reuse it? If not, is it fine to reimplement without copy/paste?

Host

Your game should be new and created within the duration of the jam from scratch or using one of the base projects provided by the community. 

Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 24 · Next page · Last page