That says it can emulate Pacman hardware so should be ok as long as it also allows running roms where the checksum doesn't match.
Recent community posts
If you're on Windows everything needed should be in the Github repo. I've added some comments to the make.bat file which explains everything that's going on, and also the macro.c file so it can be compiled for mac/linux if required.
The instruction set is pretty good, all the usual stuff is there - if you can do F8 this is no problem!
That's really cool, really pushing the NES to the max. The faster scroll speeds would be the main barrier to a C64 version, would probably also have to use chunky multi-colour graphics for the map in order to use colour cycling to approximate the flashy psychedelic effects.
Possibly, the limitation with this sprite-only engine would be having tiles in between rows. I have tile-based engines from the likes of Pillars or 20 which might be more suited to that sort of game.
Thanks very much for the testing, I've re-written how the cursor sprite is placed, before it was being moved manually whenever an action happened (I was being lazy...) so it was possible for its screen position to get out sync with the selected cell. I now have a lookup table to re-position the cursor every frame based on the row/column of the selected cell.
I think the score glitch is because the score uses binary-coded decimals, when any component of the score calculation is more than 9 it's putting the total out of BCD range. Should be an easy fix.
Happening to me too, on a family-friendly Commodore 64 game that raises money for a children's heart charity. The ability to ban an account from commenting on all games would be a start, at the moment they just move on to posting on a different one.
Good point and apologies for not mentioning it. Actually I just tried it and while the title screen does freeze, if I bypass that the gameplay and other screens run fine on NTSC. I'll try over the next few days to work out why the title screen locks up and then put out a patched version.
Damn. I've had this exact idea running around my head for about 10 years, and even started building it in Unity. But I'm a programmer not a game designer so I couldn't flesh out the mechanics to make it fun, or find someone with those skills to work with me. I haven't played this yet but it looks like you've achieved that, congratulations! It's cool to see pretty much exactly what I envisioned in my head come to life (he says through gritted teeth...)
I admire your 'pay-what-you-want' model, I do that for all my C64 releases. At the same time I don't think anyone would begrudge this being on Steam and reaching a much bigger audience. After all, if you haven't got $10, you probably haven't got the PC capable of playing it....
The hi-score bug only occurs on the final entry....the final byte is not being saved. An update will be done soon. As for issues with Ultimate 1541, I have no way of testing this. If it works on a real 1541 and VICE it suggests a bug with the ultimate.
Yeah, before I implemented it I thought it would be noticeable, but it isn't, even when scrolling. It would seem the brain can't tell an object (or the screen) has moved twice as far in a frame, it just perceives the overall average speed.
Looks like you're scrolling a big area in this game though so I guess there might not be enough time to copy all the data.
Great work! Regarding the NTSC/PAL speed thing, for Galaxian I just call the game loop twice every 6th frame on PAL. Might be tricky when scrolling is involved but I'm currently working on a game with vertical scrolling and calling the game loop twice seems to work fine.