Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[ ! ] Pre-jam Introductions & Questionnaire! Sticky

A topic by lysander created Dec 29, 2017 Views: 2,550 Replies: 67
Viewing posts 1 to 51
Jam HostSubmitted

Welcome to My First Game Jam: Winter 2018! For those of you just joining us, it's been a tradition to kick things off with a little getting-to-know-you questionnaire! For the first-time game developer, things can be pretty intimidating... which is why we want to show you you're not alone! This is not a required activity— it's just meant as a way to break into the community for returning jammers and newbies alike.

We'd love for you to share your influences, passions, and jam goals with the rest of us. Who knows — you might meet a potential team member, or even a new friend!

Onto the questions!

1. Hi there! What's your name? Want to introduce yourself?

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?

5. Tell us about something you're passionate about!

6. What are your goals for this game jam?

7. Any advice to new jammers (if you're a veteran)?

8. If you're a returning jammer, what can the admins do to improve your jam experience?

(+1)

Hiya!

I go by Gabi/Goomy/whatever you'd like! I'm 23, and I use any pronouns (you can default to they/them if it's easiest for you)!

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?

This is my first time trying out My First Game Jam, and it is coincidentally my first game jam! I'm very excited. I've been meaning to join some jams for a while now, but it's been hard to find the right community (and sometimes hard to feel confident in my skills, but I've gotten better)!

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?

One of the first games I ever played was Sonic Adventure 2 on my cousin's Dreamcast, way back when. I still love that game a lot, and will absolutely engage in hardcore design and narrative discussions about it at any time because that's just how I live my life. Knuckles is best boy. ANYWAY, the games I love most are ones that aren't afraid to be silly, whimsical and wild for emotional impact. I've been a fan of the Tales Of series (a JRPG franchise) since middle school, and more recently I've gotten deeply invested in the Ace Attorney series. I think AA1 really encapsulates everything I love about a game - engaging plot, endearing characters, charming point and click elements, wild twists and turns, and most importantly, crossexamining parrots. 

I write games because I want to make the world a better place for lgbt people, and have a lotta fun while doing it! Positive representation is a big step on the path towards societal acceptance (and also on the path toward making us happy, so y'know, it's a win-win). The games I like bleed into this - there's a lot of tragic stories for us out there, but not enough that dare to dream of a happier world. Sometimes I wanna see lgbt characters as fantasy rpg protagonists and screaming lawyers! Why not make it happen myself?!

Other games I like: Super Paper Mario, Undertale, Tales From The Borderlands, Oxenfree, LoZ: Majora's Mask, OneShot, Okami, Professor Layton & The Unwound Future, etc.

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?

I have mostly writing experience and some basic design under my belt. Twine, Yarn, and Ren'py are tools I'm familiar with, and I'm learning Unity piece by piece. I have and would like to learn RPGMaker MV, but it's kinda been pushed to my mental backlog in favor of other projects.

I'm working on my first point-and-click adventure game with a friend, and have been for about four months! When it comes out, I'd be honored if you guys gave it a try.  :-)

Oh no, I've gotta pick just one... well, I already talked about lgbt rights, so I'd like to take this time to mention that fish monsters and all other scalie boyfriends are valid. Thank you for your time.

Just kidding! One of my favorite things is the concept of "everyday magic" - little things that happen that might just be magic, but you can't prove or disprove it. It's the feeling you get when meeting eyes with a stranger going the opposite direction on a subway, when autumn leaves blow in little tornadoes when the wind moves just right, y'know. I've always loved urban fantasy and magical realism, so I guess this plays into that.

To finish something and work in a team! I love working in teams!!! It's like our very own rpg party, but in real life!!!!!!  

I'm not a veteran. But if I were, I'd ideally be writing this from a very expensive plushy chair in a silk bathrobe, holding a glass of grape juice aged for 45354365 years.  Or maybe just a fancy bean bag that's really soft.

8. If you're a returning jammer, what can the admins do to improve your jam experience?

Keep being you!
Submitted (2 edits) (+2)

My name's Kirsten, but I go by PK or PKLucky most places online. I'd prefer to be called PK online, though. It makes me feel weird being called by my real name by people I just met online OuO);;;

This is the first time I've participated! I feel that game jams really get my creative juices flowing, so I like joining one whenever I can!

Puzzle games and RPGs of any kind are my faves. RPG Maker games also appeal to me. Indie games like OFF, Ib, and Yume Nikki made me realize that ANYONE can make a video game, and they inspired me to create games of my own!

I've made games with RPG Maker VX Ace and RPG Maker 2003. My first game was Legend of Percivus, made with VX Ace. I also created two games for the Indie Game Maker Contest, one for 2015 and one for 2017. Slime Heart, my entry for IGMC 2015, was made with VX Ace, and I'm currently working on an update for it. I'd Cross the World for You was my entry for IGMC 2017 and was created with RPG Maker 2003.

I'm really passionate about creating things in general! Whether it be YouTube videos, art, video games... I just love creating things, and seeing people enjoy the things I create makes me really happy!

I'd like to learn more about RPG Maker 2000 and how far I can push its limitations. I realize that it's similar to RPG Maker 2003, however I feel that I didn't get a chance to fully realize what exactly the engine was capable of when I was working on I'd Cross the World for You.

I'd also like to create a procedure for myself when creating events in RPG Maker. I tend to create events in RPG Maker without much thought or planning put into them, so I'm hoping to actually have some planning into how I actually structure my games in the future.

As a veteran general game jam participant, the biggest mistake I see rookies make is trying to create too big of a game within the given time limit. Start small! It's better to have a short, polished game than a large game with bugs and glitches everywhere.

Just keep doing what you can to keep this event enjoyable for everyone!

(+1)

I'm Fleece! I'm a 25 year old chinese american cis bi woman. (woman sounds weird but too late for girl now i think)

This is my first time. I saw it reblogged on Tumblr and was like "OK this is a good push to make a game for real. Do it. Do it."  I love playing videogames and wanna push myself to try making them also!

i love...so many games....Soma for existential horror, robots, AI, choices; Starseed Pilgrim for weird ambiguous space gardening; pokemon. the newer zelda games (my first was twilight princess). commander keen, lol. I love!! To make something anywhere near any of those would be so flippin cool.

I guess spite is my main motivator though, because what makes me MOST want to make a game is seeing something I don't like in a game, like the predatory gay trope/dismissal of lgbt characters+possibilities in persona games (UGH), or like, uniforms that get tucked under boobs in visual novel character portraits.

I, uh. Did the tutorial for gamemaker and that's IT!

This may sound goofy but i'm really into Learning and Self-Improvement. I was gonna say plants, but that's just one of a lot of things I can focus on to become more knowledgeable about. Keying out plants is super fun when you can get it right though!!

To make at least two poses for at least two character portraits, and figure out how to do a branching story path for a visual novel. Hopefully this isn't too ambitious for a first go.

I'm the new jammer orz

Am not returning, but already everyone has been very kind and helpful, thank you <3

Host

yessss i love making games about plants and space and honestly i'm excited to see what kind of game you make bc we have a lot of common interests!

(+1)

Hello, I'm PixelRat. Though I go as RathMutatio on most all my accounts. This is a new name I want to use for my game making tag.  I'm  29 years old and use female pronouns. Been drawing for most of my life and currently as my living.

This is my first game jam. I wish to learn more about working with others and making games together with like-minded individuals.

I like a ton of games. But the top would have to be the Metroid Series, Castlevania Series and Shin Megami Tensei Series. Of course they all play a big role on the kinda games I'd love to make someday. Though I think I'd prefer to make more calm, puzzle games to start things off.

I've delved into game making a few times in the past, but not finished anything concrete. So I am still very inexperienced. I've tried doing things in Stencyl and Unity. As well as GameMaker.

I'm really passionate about games and my art work, for sure. I like the idea of using both this mediums to interact and connect with other people, as well as help people stay content. I'd love to tell stories and share experiences with both this mediums in tangent.

To learn as much as possible about game making and hopefully plant some seeds for more serious game making in the future. Ideally meet some people I can work with comfortably.

Host

hey rath! best of luck with the jam. i hope you find something in game making that you like and you can meet some cool people this jam!

Thank you kindly. I'll do my best.

Submitted

I'm Innes, hi!

No, but I participated in Winter 2017. I want to be better about documenting my work and interacting with other jammers.

I like a lot of games! The MMO Glitch is a pretty big inspiration to me. I also like the Sims series and Sufficiently Advanced, as well as the works of Christine Love, Avery Alder, and Porpentine.

I've made complete if small games in Twine and prototypes in Construct 2, Unreal Engine 4, Ren'Py, GameMaker Studio, and RPGMaker VX Ace. The only work available online at the moment is my previous jam game, which you can see on my profile.

How implementation of game mechanics can influence the narrative they present. Stopping there because I can quickly go into essays about that, but feel free to DM me about it on Discord or something.

• a character creation system with stats that impact gameplay
  • a combat/conflict system that takes advantage of those stats

Get something done and write about it every day, if feasible. This will help you keep a rhythm. Also, talk to other people about their games! Ask them questions; tell them what you like.

Encourage participants to comment on each other's devlogs more. The amount of attention a given game received was highly variable, even if it ended up with a finished demo, and it could feel isolating.

Also, stress constructive feedback and what that means; the only comment I got on my demo itself was half backhanded compliment and half arbitrary complaint, couched in polite language, and none of it was actionable. (So I deleted it.)

Jam HostSubmitted
Encourage participants to comment on each other's devlogs more. The amount of attention a given game received was highly variable, even if it ended up with a finished demo, and it could feel isolating.

yeah, i agree this has been a reoccurring issue, probably due to the sheer volume of games we usually get- like usually 80-100+... we'll try pushing the comment-for-comment model, but it's hard to enforce as it's mainly just an honor system. do you have any suggestions for what we could do?

Also, stress constructive feedback and what that means; the only comment I got on my demo itself was half backhanded compliment and half arbitrary complaint, couched in polite language, and none of it was actionable. (So I deleted it.)

oof, i'm sorry that happened to you. unfortunately we can only really do something about it if it's a fellow jammer who made the comment— obviously strangers are outside our jurisdiction, but let us know if something like this happens again. i'll suggest a warning system for non-constructive crit.

Submitted

Yeah, that's the thing, I'm not really sure how I'd go about equalizing it. People like what looks flashy, or what their friends are doing, etc. etc. There's always going to be SOME inequality of attention, but maybe... suggesting that people review the games they've tried out? The playtesting thread was the only way I knew people were playing mine.

Ugh, yeah, I have a feeling it was a stranger with time on their hands, but if it comes up again, I'll let you know.

(1 edit) (+1)

Hey! I'm Cam, from Tasmania, Australia. I have a background in UX design and animation (and art in general). I'm learning to program and make games at the same time.

Yep, I have done two MFGJs now. Last time I really focused on getting a core game loop nailed and this time I want to do the same but while still saying laser focused on that core loop, make it so two people can play it locally.

I'm a long time Nintendo fan so Miyamoto is a big inspiration for me.

I've used Unity for most of my "games" so far so I'll be sticking with that.

Local multiplayer and gameplay-first design! I have such fond memories of crowding around a CRT TV with mates when I was young playing the N64 all night. There's something special about those moments with friends that I would love to be able to give to other people.

As above, a neat core game loop and 2 player action.

I say this every time but watch out for scope creep. Write out your plan of features, then cut half of it out. Then cut half again and you might be closer to a realistic goal. Keep it lean for the submission, you can always extend it later.

I felt like in the Questionnaire the question that asks you what type of game you'll be doing is a bit confrontational! I have never had any idea of what I will be doing at the point of filling it out (am I alone here?) and it made me a bit anxious being asked that!

Otherwise, I am super happy with how it has been run, particularly with the mentor roles that occur. 

Host

hey cam!! it's great to have you back! we'll make that question a little less final. it's mostly to tell us what kind of tutorials we should be keeping an eye out for.

(+1)

Ahhhh, gotcha! I think if you prefaced that question with the explanation you just gave it would totally change how it comes across (to me at least, maybe no one else had the same reaction). I would've spilled my guts into that space knowing some great resources may have been found to help me on that journey. 

I love that you organisers of MFGJ go to such effort to help everyone. The camaraderie and community are why I come back each time!

Host

awesome! we'll keep that in mind for next jam. also it's really a credit to everyone who joins!! we've been fortunate to have such great people come back to mentor and they all have been really encouraging :9

Submitted(+1)

Hello My name is Emily, but a lot of my friends have taken a liking to calling me Emmer. I work as a library parapro, but my degree is in graphic design! I was really focused on print design and illustration during my studies, but I'm interested in all facets of design practice.

This is my first time participating in a jam ever! Post-grad has been a difficult time for me trying to figure out quite which path I want to follow. Recently I realized that my neglected passions for web design, games, and all things tech were something I wanted to rekindle. I decided to take that small spark and run with it, beginning with re-teaching myself HTML and CSS; I'll be learning to program (for web design and games) starting in January! My boyfriend sent me a link to this extremely timely jam, so I think this is the perfect way to kick off a year of learning and growing.

My first ever game was Pokemon Yellow (which I played on a yellow Gameboy Color), so I have a strong fondness for Nintendo in general. On their consoles I've played tons of different types of games from action to puzzle to fighters all of which I loved playing. I think Nintendo's dedication to fun has always inspired me in my personal work. I want to be able to create things that make people smile ଘ(੭ˊ꒳ˋ)੭✧ Some bigger aesthetic inspirations for me lately have been Poinie's Poin and Jet Set Radio.

I have basically no experience with game development. I fiddled around with Scratch as an introduction to the basics a few months ago but I haven't really done anything since.

I'm very passionate about all things cute!! I like to incorporate cuteness into as many of my hobbies as I can; for about a year I ran a blog called PlamoPrincess exclusively to feature cute plastic model kits and gunpla.

Learn the basics of a language for game dev
Re-teach myself some basic animation
Keep my scope small and stay on task with documenting my process
Have fun (of course)

Host

hey emmer!! i'm looking forward to seeing a cute game from you this jam :9

(+1)

I go by Alaris or Alarikun online, and Tom IRL.  28 year-old male. I'm a retail-monkey IRL, but I hope to get into game-development full-time one day.

I didn't participate in the Summer Jam, but I did in the 2017 Winter Jam. I kind of fizzled out after my second game last year, and I'd like to get back into 'jamming' and making games in general.  What better way than to jump back in on January 5th?

Well, I don't think I can say I have on favorite, but of the games that may have inspired me to make my own, I would say Undertale. It was made primarily by one guy, and that is an inspiration to solo game developers, especially since he used an engine I own to make it.

I've made 2 games (in Game-Jams mostly), and while I wouldn't call them complete, they do function, and at least a few people seemed to enjoy them. I used Game Maker Language to make them, but I might branch out from that in a future jam. For now, I'll stick with it.

Well, video games for one, but I guess that's obvious. 

To re-ignite my passion of game-making. I hope to get back into jamming with this, and maybe... just maybe, I'll make a prototype I can branch from to make a fully developed game.

Umm... I wouldn't consider 2 jams a "Veteran," but if I can recommend anything, I would say to set a plan. The first thing you should do on Day 1 is open up a wordpad, and write out your plan, and how you want to accomplish it. What sprites you need to make, what code, sound assets, etc.

It's a lot easier when you know what you have to tackle, rather than leaving anything to wait until the last day.

Nothing I Can think of off the top of my head.

Host

hey alaris! it's actually funny i've noticed undertale has been a huge inspiration for a lot of past + current jammers!

(+1)

Hiya, I'm Nicole. I live in Australia and I'm terrible at introductions. I change username more frequently than I should so I have no idea what I consistently go by online...

Nope, I was literally just scrolling through the list of jams, and this one seemed really nice. I wanna get into Gamedev more, and this feels like a really good reason to get into it, as well as a chance to see a bunch of developer diary's develop in real time.

Oh man I could go on forever about games I like, I'll basically play anything regardless of genre, but some of my favourites are the Persona games, Jet Set Radio, Splatoon, Pyre, Nier, Bloodborne, Yakuza, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, and Animal Crossing to name a few. I've got a big soft spot for platformers, fighters and RPG's, if I were to actually talk about all the games I love I'd be typing for hours... When I was younger, I got a copy of Little Big Planet for my birthday, and the creation tools in that kinda snowballed into me getting interested in Gamedev. Nowadays, seeing indie game development is what mostly inspires me to make stuff; seeing all the cool stuff artists make and games people develop online inspires me to want to make other people feel inspired with what I create too. 

Other than some messing around with various engines and one game jam before, I've got fairly limited experience with Gamedev. I've mostly worked with GameMaker 8 mostly, I've got some experience with Unity3D and Unreal 4 too, but not too much...

Uhh other than video games, art in general and cooking I guess. ...Why are these sorta questions always so hard to answer?

I really wanna just make a basic prototype I can be sorta proud of.  If I can at least post it and not HATE it, I'll consider the jam a success. Also wanna make sure to play every single other entry,and stay posted on Dev Diarys. Seeing what everyone else creates is gonna be super exciting

Host(+1)

hi nicole!! we like a lot of similar games haha. checking out everyone's devlogs is my favorite part of the jam!

(+1)

Hello! I'm Peter. Im 29 and currently a Software Engineer in Silicon Valley. 

This is my first Jam! I saw this from twitter of a group I follow and wanted to give it a shot. I've recently been interested into shifting my career into the game dev. 

So many! I always loved classic JRPG's and newer action RPG's everything from Final Fantasy to Fire emblem. I draw much of my inspiration from these as well as newer games such as the Bravely Series and more! Recently the wave of indie dev's have inspired me to make my own and try to get into the industry. My love for games in what pushed me to pursue a carrier in tech, now games like Stardew Valley and PUBG  pushed me to move further into game dev. 

Not much experience directly in game development. Most of my background is from working as a Software Engineer the past few years so I have lots of experience with software development. I have taught myself GameMaker and Unity the past year, reading and doing every Tutorial I could find. 

I love telling stories, creating that escape after along day. The feeling of belonging from going on an adventure whether alone on a stormy night or together with friends after a long week. I love to make people smile, feel a sense of purpose and to feel less alone. Thats what games are to me and I want to be able to give that to someone. 

Besides Games and that, I love cooking and learning new things! 

To branch out and try something new. I've been sitting on the fence of my current job and wanting to dive into game development and figured this is a chance to try something new. 

Host

hey peter! it sounds like you've got some experience that will be very useful in learning game dev! best of luck this jam!

Submitted(+1)

Hi, my name is T.J. I currently work full-time in retail sales. I also work on the side with a good friend renting out uniforms, props, and vehicles for movies. Creating digital art, video games, programming, etc. are hobbies of mine.

I've never participated in a jam before. Saw this jam and thought it looked inviting for first timers.

I really enjoy RPG's particularly old-school RPG's. Wizardry, Might and Magic, Ultima, Bard's Tale, etc. I would definitely say that those games have inspired me to create my own.

Very little. I've played around with Blender, PICO-8, and others. I haven't really created anything remotely complete.

Other than video games, I would say I really enjoy film, illustration, heavy metal music...

To learn first hand about developing video games. I want to experiment and use a game engine I've never used before. I also want to release my first game...

Host

hey tj! dang that prop stuff sounds reallyyy cool. good luck with your game!

(+1)

Hola! You can call me Taco or Ruben. I'm 32, mexican getting into game development as a hobby.

I need a challenge to force myself into get better and finish a game.

Zelda, Diablo,  Minecraft, mostly Mmorpg's. I would like to create fun and immersive gameplay 

Just as far as playing around with unity, scratch. Adding controllers, moving players around, but not finished games.

I'm passionate about creativity and learning new things. everyday.

To get into a similar minded community. Finish a game and learn a lot so i can keep making better ones.

Host

hey ruben! i hope you can be involved in the jam community--if you haven't already you can join our discord, and checking out people's devlogs is a great way to see everyone's progress!

(+1)

I have been Dire Sloth for many a year now. I'm in my late 20s and am interested in making 3D games as a hobby.

I was not part of the last one, though I think I lurked around the Discord back then. I decided its finally time to start teaching myself how to work with Unity and making the games I keep thinking of.

My favorite games are ones with excellent writing (Undertale, Night in the Woods) or environment design (which is why I still have a bunch of Assassin's Creed games hogging my hard drive). Games that have excellent worlds inspire me to start making my own world.

I have a teeny-tiny RPG Maker game here on itch.io, which is barely ten minutes long but I made most of the assets myself, so I'm fairly proud of it.

I have an intensely love-hate relationship with Steampunk - I love the concept but very rarely find games or stories that use it to its full potential.

I'm hoping to become basically competent in coding C# so I can go on to make some sort of 3D exploration / survival crafter in Unity someday.

Host(+1)

hey sloth!! i love nitw and AC a lot also :9 good luck with learning C#!

(+1)

I'm daggar!

I'm new this year, and my friend fleece convinced me to join :P but I've always been interested in how games are made, and my pipe dream would be to be part of a dev team doing art or storyboarding or something!

my favorite games are Okami, LoZ Windwaker, Deadly Premonition, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, the entire Harvest Moon series (including Rune Factories), SOMA, Animal Crossing...basically anything action adventure RPG, farming/daily life sim, or existential horror. I think what made me want to make my own game was wanting to share the feeling of exploration and excitement of watching a story unfold.

none whatsoever...

I'm passionate about stories told in any medium (books and video games especially though). I love themes that focus on the relationship between people and our environments, AI/robots/tech, etc.

I want to finish something and learn how to make objects move!

Host

hey daggar!! aaaa i love love love narratives as well. these sound like really well scoped goals--good luck!

(1 edit) (+1)

Hello, my online pseudonym is Geostegma, I have been calling myself this for over a decade. I just recently turned 26 years old and currently live in Canada. I am a life long gamer and have been experimenting with game development for around a year now.

I have not, this is my first Game Jam ever. I always wanted to participate but just wasn't confident enough in my own skills. I already create games during my spare time, so  I figured I should participate to an event like this and share my work with other like-minded people.

Breath of the Wild was my favorite game of 2017, otherwise I do love games like the Souls series, Silent Hill and Ico. The first game I ever played that made me realize the potential of Indie games was Grow Home (although some people will argue that it isn't an indie title.)

I made a few hobby games during the past year. My first attempts were made using my own engine while learning more about OpenGL (they were poorly made Doom clones, but they taught me valuable lessons.) I then moved on to GameMaker 2 after hearing that it was a great engine for beginners; It served me well for a few months, but left me wanting more flexibility. I ended up switching to Unity and have never looked back since.

For the sake of not being too repetitive, I suppose I should talk about my other interests outside of game development. I love restoring old automobiles and motorcycles. I have been doing this for many years and have become quite good at it. I also used to be a professional photographer, however some bad experiences on the job have left a sour taste in my mouth and I have since been trying to avoid going back to it.

I only have one goal, and it is to see this project through to the end. I have created many games, but have never finished one in its entirety.

I am not a veteran, but the best advice I was ever given about making games is to "just do it." I am sure this applies to game jams as well.

Host

hey geostegma! that's some pretty good advice for game jams. i also loooved botw and ive been playing a lot of souls games recently. good luck finishing a game this time around! (and don't be afraid of scoping down if you need to!)

Submitted(+1)

Hi, my name is Toni and I like making video games.

I did not participate in the last jam, I joined because I like game jams.

Doom2 got me into game development as I wanted to make my own games after playing it.

Yes ,I have made 6 games so far , 5 of them in the unity3d game engine and a mobile game in corona sdk.

Game development, music ,sports.

Making a decent game.

Not a veteran.

Submitted(+1)

Hi, my name is Isaiah.  I am 19 and am attending college in Chicago studying computer science, and I love playing videogames.

Never participated in a Jam before, but I love playing video games and have wanted to make them since I was little.  I've just never had the motivation to finish a game so I thought this would be a great way to motivate myself and find others to work with on a game.

Right now I love playing competitive games.  I love playing League of legends, and occasionally playing CSGO.  Growing up I played a lot of Nintendo games like Super Mario Sunshine, Legend of Zelda Windwaker, Luigi's Mansion, and many more and ever since then I've wanted to make my own video games when I was older.  

I have experience in development in Unity, Game maker Studio, and in Java.  I also know how to program in Python though I've never made games in it before I would be willing to learn how.

I love programming.  I've been programming since about 7th grade, although I never really got into it until my Junior year of highschool when all of FIRST robotics switched systems and it was no longer the Lego NXT, and you had to learn Java.  That's when I really got into programming and really decided that I wanted to work in programming.  

My goals for this game Jam are to complete a game , meet and hopefully collaborate with some other people that also like to make game.

(+1)

Hi! I'm Alex, or rabbit, or whatever name I can get when I sign up to things. 

This is my first jam ever! I've always wanted to make games, but I do all these tutorials and then never really get going with my own ideas. I'm hoping that being in a jam will help to motivate me.

I like a lot of games! But the three that have probably inspired me the most to pursue my own ideas are the Professor Layton series, Undertale and Ghost Trick, all wonderful and strange games which aren't afraid to do their own thing.

I've done tutorials with GameMaker (which I plan to use for this jam) and Unity. I haven't really produced anything of my own yet. If it counts, I made tons of levels for the game N years and years ago.

Professional wrestling! It's dumb as hell and I love it! I love my steel chairs soap operas! I'm also into puzzles (I'd like to learn more about the construction/design side of logic puzzles someday soon) and writing my own music (hopefully I can do something for the game jam).

I have an idea for a puzzle RPG which I want to make before anyone else does it. But I'm intimidated by the amount of work it will take, especially on the coding side of things - I've always disliked programming, for those times when an idea or function doesn't work and I just can't figure out why. In this game jam, I hope to get more comfortable with coding and do a lot of the heavy lifting on my idea by prototyping the central battle mechanic of this larger game. Depending on how much time I have left, I'd also like to construct the skeleton of the larger RPG project (dungeons, conversations, etc.) and prototype other puzzle systems.

Deleted 5 years ago
Host

hey kallie! i LOVE supergiant's stuff also. do you know what kind of game you'll be making? it sounds like an RPG might be up your alley.

Deleted 6 years ago
Deleted 5 years ago
Submitted(+1)

Hi!  I'm Rain (she/her), and I'm super excited for this!

I have not done a game jam before - I may have signed up for some things, but am terrible at following through and have never actually attempted one.  I'm joining this time because I'm on break and therefore will actually have time to dedicate to doing this.

Super normie answer but whatever - I love Breath of the Wild, it's gorgeous and has amazingly fluid animation and the way you interact with the world feels so solid and coherent, and the world is designed so that you actually want to interact with all of it.  Obviously that's a huge game by a huge team, but it is inspiring in terms of a having a world that both feels real and is designed to draw people to interesting things.  Also, he visuals are inspiring, as is the fluidity of controls.  It certainly inspired me to look at some of the how it was done stuff - the following are fascinating (first on level design, second on tech/engine)

https://medium.com/@gypsyOtoko/this-is-a-reposting-of-my-twitter-thread-summariz...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-the-technical-analysis...

Essentially, no.  I've done a tutorial or two in unity, and that's about it.  However, I have experience with several aspects of game dev - I have a lot of music experience, with some audio editing and limited composing, I have a background in traditional art and have modeled a few things in maya/blender, I've taken a couple of cs classes.  So basically, I have very intro level knowledge about lots of parts of making a game, but have never put them together. 

I'm not sure if this is passionate per se, but I'm super into Friends at the Table, an actual play podcast focused on telling meaningful stories through an interactive game based method.  I also love playing music and singing a whole bunch.

My biggest goal is literally to finish something.  I above all want to have made a complete, playable, thing.  I want to make a game from the ground up so I know what the steps are and what goes into it and figure out what parts of it are most interesting to me.

Host

hey rain! botw is honestly one of my favorite games ever for its design and it was actually really interesting learning about its engine as well!!

Hi! My name is Hub, I use he/his (but I don't really mind anything other than she/her) pronouns and I like software development!!

I did! I plan to actually make something this time, haha. 

I love Megaman Battle Network and Megaman Legends, but recently I'm getting into Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Warframe. I love the "what it means to be human" narrative, and I try to incorporate that into a lot of my work. 

I do! I have experience making my own game engines, and experience in AGS, XNA/Monogame, and Unity. 

I'M PASSIONATE ABOUT MEGAMAN, MY SWEET SON

Finish something!

Have fun, don't stress, and don't feel bad if you don't get something out there! Keep on fighting!

Y'all are so sweet, keep engaging with the community and doing what you're doing!

I'm Seren! Nice to meet you. I like video games and movies, and reviewing them, mentally, because I haven't worked up the courage to make a blog or Youtube channel. I'm studying computer science but would love to join some indie game company after graduation. 

Yes! I'm hoping to make my game a more satisfying experience this time (the last one was "finished" but not really, yanno?), and to make it from mostly-scratch. Last time I used Ren'Py, but this time I'll just be using straight-up Java. 

Honestly, too many to count, and I have some favorites across all genres. Overwatch and Borderlands for shooters, Mario Odyssey for platforming, BOTW for sandbox, Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright for puzzles, Dangan Ronpa for visual novels, um...there's a lot more. I think all of them collectively have inspired me, especially the early Zelda and Pokemon games which I played religiously. I just want to give people a fun time.

Nooot really! Just the last game jam, which was a visual novel/kind of  memory-puzzle game in Ren'Py. 

Animal husbandry! I care very much about animals and would like them all to be treated well with all the misconceptions out there cleared up (especially with fish!!!!). I'm also very into clean energy and stuff like that.  Can't have a good time if the planet's gone, yanno.

To present a finished product and to provide multiple routes in the story! I'm hoping to make an overall satisfying experience, something more polished than my last attempt. I'm also going to be basically self-teaching myself all the stuff you need to know to make video games in Java--I've never done anything but class assignments in it!

Don't be afraid to cut back! Last jam I cut what must've been 3/4 of my game, but I'm so happy I did it, because I walked away with a finished product. Having something you can really share with others and present as something "finished" is a great feeling, and those features you cut out can always be added later.

Can't think of too much! Maybe more forum interaction as far as updates with people's games go? I honestly didn't go on the forums much last year (so I don't know what would need to be improved) but I will be this time.

Submitted

Hello world! My name is  Melissa and I'm a 24 year old service rep from the planet Earth. Surprising fact about me: I love video games. (shocking I know) 

This is my first jam! While I didn't participate in the last jam I did watch it unfold, like a pining lover watches their crush. After much self debate I decided to try it! I've always wanted to try making a game and this seemed like a good place to start!

Platformers, RPGs, and Visual Novels are my favorites. While I don't play it as much as other genres, I also have a weakness for a good Horror game. 

I've dabbled a bit with the basics of Unity, but that's about it. Frankly: I'm a noob.

Other than video games, I love to write and draw. I love to build worlds and fill them with characters. 

To dip a toe in the waters of creative challenge. I'm not expecting to make a masterpiece, or even a fully developed game. But I want to try to follow my passion. Baby steps. I'm hoping to finish a basic prototype. 

I'm not a veteran but I have heard several veterans say to  make something that you would want to play. 

Hi my name is Nikhil .  I am a 19 year old from India and i am in college pursuing computer science. I love to create and play Games.

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?4

This is my first Jam participating! I am really excited .  I am still a learner i.e I am still learning from the Tutorials for Developing my Skills . By joining  a Game Jam i might express my own ideas and work with it and see how far i have come. 

My first Game was Empire Earth a PC Strategy Games and is still one of my  favorite strategic games of all time. As I started playing more and more Games i became curious on how these games were made , the level of Detailing. These things inspired me to make Games. 

I have Good Experience with Unity3d Game Engine . I have created 10 Games with the help of Tutorials .

I love Football,My favorite team being Real Madrid. I love playing Video Games and obviously Developing Games.

Opening up to my Ideas and check where I stand and Enjoy the Work  Process.

hi. im yunus, working as a software developer.

no

roguelikes. unbeatable but a new story of failure every time. 

got some unfinished command line games.

food&cooking, trying to figure out how things work and being able to fix them,

at work i code boring stuff and get paid. now it will be opposite i think.

me? a veteran? no.

Submitted

My name is Mo.

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do
you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for
joining?

I did not participate in the last Jam. I am an inexperiance developer and would like the challenge of creating a game within a time limit.

I am a fan of platformers both 2D and 3D. One game that stands out for me in Donkey Kong Country 2 on SNES. I like games from other genres too. I always wanted to make games - don't have any particular reason - just that I enjoy it.

A bit of experience using Unity.

Games, Football.

Finish a game polished or unpolished within 2 weeks.

(1 edit)

My name is Quinn and I've recently graduated with a bachelor's in English. I'm not really sure what else to say!

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If not, what's your reason for joining?

No, this is the first time I've heard of the Jam. I want to learn something and try to go out of my comfort zone. I haven't created anything in years and I miss that. I miss being able to make things and have fun with creation. My perfectionism tends to really hurt me but  with  the time constraint I'll have to just do my best instead of obsessing over Unobtainable perfection, I hope. 

Pokémon will always be the closest to my heart but a recent favorite is Mariokart. Final Fantasy IX & all of the Tactics are also games I really adore. I've thought, mostly jokingly, that it'd be fun to be in the design team for a game. Coding and building aren't something I thought I'd ever try, just the concept and designs of things.

4. Do you have experience with game development?

Nope, I'm very much a first-timer.

Civil rights and diversity are very important to me. I can't think of a character in media that's like me and that kind of sucks. Resource conservation is something to work forward with too.. I also feel strongly about pineapple on pizza- it's the superior topping. 

Just to try and do my best and learn something new. I can only get better since I'm new.

Hi, I'm Noah. I own and solely operate Upside-Down Camel around a school and extracurricular schedule. Here at Upside-Down Camel, we make games that don't take a lot of time to play, are infinitely re-playable, and are easy-to-learn-hard-to-master. 

I did not participate in the last jam you held, though I was in GitHub's Game Off 2017. I thought I'd do well, but I finished about halfway through, an average finish. I think that this is because I spent all my time working on squeezing out bugs and freshening up graphics and all that that I never added anything new. This time, I'm going to focus on the players and the game content. I joined this to talk to other developers, get some inspiration, and, most of all, make a game and have fun.

My favorite game of all time would have to be Destiny 2. For a one man team, making something like that would be a huge undertaking, so I went more of the Ketchapp route, making infinitely re-playable games that were fun for all ages. But, I want to be my own developer. Each game is a new concept, and is carefully planned out ahead of time.

I do have experience with game development. The game I am making for this jam is Zip, which is a follow up to my first game. I created Trials, a retro bumper-car style combat using Unity3D.

I am very passionate about the people playing my game, and I want the best for them. Whether that means delving into categories I am not fond of or do not know, learning a whole new way of coding, or working extra hours, I want to make sure that our players are having the best time possible playing our games.

My goals for this game jam are to rank well and learn. Knowledge is very valuable, and I intend to absorb some that will help Upside-Down Camel in the future. Ranking well? I'll just have to hope that the viewers like my game.

All new jammers, here is some device: Do not be upset when you don't rank well. Look at the categories you did sub-par in and learn, so, in the next jam, you can do well.

I have no complaints for the admins.

(1 edit)

I'm Setsune. Live in Ohio, in the US.

I didn't participate in the last jam; I wasn't aware of it. I joined this as a good friend recommended it, and I've had a hard time jumpstarting my own projects independently. The game jam format and low impact nature of the jam might help with that.

Mario games, including SMB3, Galaxy 1 & 2, and now Odyssey, some Sonic games, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger, and some assorted others.

I did take various stabs at making amateur Sonic games years ago, and scripted out a Mario fan game, but ultimately didn't get far with actual production of either. I'm focused on original works now, but of course I want to echo good game design concepts those titles introduced or refined.

Years ago I used to tinker with the predecessors of Clickteam Fusion, including The Games Factory, Click & Create, and several versions of Multimedia Fusion, which became the current Clickteam Fusion. You can actually get fairly far with those engines with a lot of custom override code, something a friend of mine is particularly good at, but ultimately I found it to be massively inconsistent and a pain to fight with. I hit several roadblocks I couldn't work out on my own, and it discouraged me from development for some time.

I picked up Unity a little over a year ago, and while I've made a few starts on projects, it's pretty hard to stay motivated.

I really like VR. I think it's going to be the future of some games (not all, at least not until virtual screens are nice to use). In the past I've had the Oculus Rift DK1 and DK2, and the Gear VR, and currently I have my HTC Vive and a dedicated space for Room Scale VR.

I want to get a project out there that's playable, something that can at least somewhat be considered finished. I'd like to learn more about the tools I use, through collaboration and practice. And if possible, I'd like to work with a team, as self-motivation has been an issue in the past. It's hard to stay dedicated when you believe no one cares about your work.

Not Applicable.

Not Applicable.

Yo. I'm Dean "ICanEditzComicz/ccooldean" K. I've made *one* full game so far. I also make memes on my mildly successful youtube channel that I'm currently neglecting.

I wanna make a new game, man! And this is the perfect motivation for it. Plus, I've always wanted to do a jam.

ViViD is what has inspired my one and only game "This Game Is Impossible"

I also accidentally came up with the idea for DDLC before it ever came out, but was never able to make it myself so I'm glad at least someone could ^^

GameMaker 8.1 is where I started and stuck for honestly wayyyy longer than I should have. Now I'm on GameMaker: Studio, but have periodically dipped my toes in the lukewarm pool that is GameMaker: Studio 2.

VIDEOGAMES AND MEMES

To make a game I enjoy.

No 'cause I'm not lol

HET I'm not lol

Hello! my name is Robert Kroll, i am extremely new at making games for the past week i have been attempting to learn how to make a game through multiple sources im 18 and i have been around games all my life and they have been a huge part in my life i love the creativity around games they are something someone thought of and then put into a playable game this game we play is someones ideas and thoughts and i love that and i want to learn how to do that myself as best i can i will try as hard as i can to learn how.

This is my very first game jam my friend who knew i was working on learning games showed this to me.

Monster hunter is my favorite game in general but in terms of inspiration and making me want to make my own that was probally crash bandicoot on the ps1 when i was little.

i have no experience in terms of code and texture mapping but i have learned some of the very basics of Unity and Blender 

Im very passionate in learning about things that interest me i suppose such as gaming and the creations of games (i know very simple answer but its true)

My goals are to learn about game development and hopefully start making small games nothing to complicated yet 

N/A

N/A

(1 edit)

I'm Marius, I'm 18
I started a dev school (EPITECH) and i dev since I'm 13
I live in Montpellier, France so I don't speak English like French :D
I'ts my first game jam

I never participate to a game jam but i have the experiance and i wanted to see if i can do it !

I realy love the managment games but i like to do any types of games !
I was inspired by narrative games and top down adventure

I dev since I was 13 so now I'm 18, I have 5 years of experiance, i know the most used languages, and I very like C#
I created mini games and some tools but never a real game
I want to create a real game on unity

I really like rap music and programming, I spend the most of my time to dev with a background music everyday
I like the flight simulation, I can fly a Boeing 737 during 3 hours without problems :)

I want to make a real game that I can show to my friends, my familly. I always stopped my projects because it's always too big.
Submitted

Hey! I'm Kenna May! This is my first time using itch.io as well as participating in a game jam, and I'm VERY excited if also extremely nervous. I'm also going to be blogging during the jam at gamingofkenna.tumblr.com.

Nope! First jam ever! I've been interested in game writing and design for a couple years now, but have been too busy to do much about it. I've been planning on practicing game design using a bunch of different introductory programs, so when I heard about My First Game Jam it was the PERFECT opportunity to finally move on to RPGMaker, the free version of which I've had sitting on my computer for over a year.

Too many to name, but for the project I'm working on this year I was particularly inspired by the games Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Birdland, Undertale, the entire Ace Attorney series, and Supergiant's game (Bastion/Transister/Pyre). I'm particularly fond of adventure games like Legend of Zelda, and Assassin's Creed, as well. I haven't played many tabletop games, though what I have had the chance to play I've highly enjoyed.

Last year I created a game in Twine for the Interactive Fiction Competition, which is the only completed project I've ever worked on. I've played around a bit with RPGMaker (VX Ace) before, and I have coding experience from school/working on personal projects online. I'm working on another Twine game now as well.

Stories! My lifelong dream has been to work in storytelling, and in the last decade or so I've been fascinated with the idea of using games to tell stories. I really love how the stories that games can tell are different from the kinds of stories you find elsewhere. I also love writing and particularly editing (what I actually went to school for), as well as graphic design, and lately audio drama and podcasts.

To create a finished game! Or, baring that, to get as close to that as possible. I want to get proficient in a new program, and learn skills in creating my own game assets. I'd also like to get better at project management.

(1 edit)

Sorry for being a bit late on this! Was busy with work! D:

Hi my name is Steven! I'm 22 and currently live in Montreal, Quebec. Send me a DM Steven#4726 if you want to talk or have any questions!(I'll do my best to answer them! :o) 

I haven't participating in the jam since the very first MFGJ but since then I've been mostly helping others as a mentor!  

My favorite games are Puzzle games, action rpgs and competitive games . However, the games that inspire me the most now a days are games that delve into quirky themes or mechanics.

I have about 4 years of experience as a "hobbyist" game developer. I've participated in many game jams and graduated from a gamedev course.

I'm passionate about games and the many ways it could be use to teach and entertain!

Help out newcomers!

This might not be too practical but it might be something worth mentioning :o (I wanted to try out something new I guess)

If you're coming into this as a new jammer, it really help to get into the mentality of improving your skills or learning  new skill(s) instead of proving yourself to others.  Be the best you !

Also and most importantly :  go easy on yourself/take care of yourself!!!!!

I'm GuessTheNameSlick, but a lot of people just call me Slick! I've always wanted to develop a game, so I'm going to try doing that now!

did apply for the Winter Jam 2017, but I never even created a submission after school got hectic v_v. Hopefully this time around I'll be better in managing life and getting a finished project!

Hyper Light Drifter, Undertale, and N++ stand out for me. I feel like Undertale has influenced my story telling and character development, Hyper Light Drifter has influenced my atmospheric decisions and musical style, and N++ has given me a slight sense of masochism.

I've messed around in GameMaker, Unity, and RPGmaker VX Ace, but I've never made a finished product. I haven't even made a small demo ; _ ;

Drawing and Music! I practice art and doodle almost every day, and I use Musescore to try and write songs. I also have recently taken up knitting, which is quite relaxing.

Make a finished product and have a completed project! The more I think about it the more I realize I can't recall a single finished project that I voluntarily did, so getting a finished (or semi-finished) result would mean a lot to me.

(1 edit)

Hello, I'm Z-Brooke, and I'm Noise Prince on Discord (though I'm fairly quiet you might not see much of me) I'm 23, and I'm going for a bachelor's in game design and potentially a minor in computer science.

I did not participate, I've been intending on joining since last year's winter jam, but kind of let it slip through my fingers. The timing's not optimal (school starts back up in a few days- but when is it ever really? ) So this time around I'm really looking forward to jumping into it! Also, this year I got into my resolutions (I'm not usually a resolution person) and figured one of my biggest set backs was being afraid of being a beginner and starting stuff  I didn't think I'd like by the end of it. So I'm focusing more on just doing things, learning as I go, so this jam is perfect!

I find a lot that I enjoy in a lot of different games, it's really difficult to choose favorites (usually I just go with whatever I've played recently that I enjoyed a lot!) But Okami is always up there! (The vivid, unique art and the mechanic of 'painting' and vibrant storytelling is something that'll always stick with me.- I won't do this spiel for every game...) Etrian Odyssey: Millennium Girl (flawless blending of the game setting and traditional game mechanics that we typically take for granted but is explained seamlessly here by the world's rules. Okay, last game I do this about.)  Link between Worlds, Undertale, Style Savvy (started playing the third recently and forgot how addictive it can be) I find a lot of things to be really inspiring, and many parts of many games makes me think about "God, that's so clever! How'd they think to do that?! I want to be able to create something like this!"

Minimal, minimal, minimal experience. With Ren'py, with Twine, and a project for class that was always supposed to be a paper prototype and never needed an engine. I've also made a few rough card games.

Besides game design? Art and writing, and honestly I'm one of those people who loves learning! -I should have been doing this "just learn on the go" stuff for a while now, honestly. I'm really interested in how creating something can craft an experience for someone else, and how it can mean something to them.

I've barely heard of LUA before now. I've never heard of Love2D until I saw it as an engine in the list of engines for this jam. I thought it was cute, looked it up, and figured I might as well roll with it! So I want to be able to create at least a playable prototype with the Love engine.

I've also recently heard of this narrative structure called "the ring"- in which events mirror others earlier in the story, and I want to try to utilize that.

So my goals are

1. Playable prototype in Love2D
2.  Rough Draft for the story with the ring structure
3. As close as I can get to a finished game by the 20th

Submitted
...figured one of my biggest set backs was being afraid of being a beginner and starting stuff  I didn't think I'd like by the end of it. So I'm focusing more on just doing things, learning as I go, so this jam is perfect!

This is one of the hardest things for me to get over too. I still struggle with it, but I'm working through it as well. Best of luck to you Z-Brooke, and I think you're right that this jam seems like the perfect place to just be a beginner and learn with everyone else!

Heyo! My name's Krall (real name James), currently unemployed and not in education, so I have plenty of spare time to dedicate to creative projects like this one. :D

This is the first jam I've ever joined. I've dreamed of making games for a long time and have a text file on my computer where I keep all the game ideas I have - recently I told my sibling about some of these and they suggested we try out this game jam to try and make one into reality!

I'm the kind of person who owns several hundred games on Steam, so it's difficult to narrow down my favourite games. I do like a lot of indie stuff, because indie games avoid/buck the trends and conventions of game genres and are able to come up with fresh new ideas, and execute them in ways not seen before. A couple of indie party games me and my sibling have played recently inspired our current game idea, primarily Ultimate Chicken Horse, where players add objects to the map to make a platformer level that is dangerous enough to kill all the other players, whilst still being possible so that you can get to the end unscathed. Our game concept for this game jam is similar, but as a racing game rather than a platformer.

Nope! I've tried to learn coding in the past but Real Life(tm) keeps getting in the way.

History, and speculative/alternate history fiction are my jam. I also love animation and musicals, so I'm a big fan of animated movies and cartoons - my favourite movie is Prince of Egypt, and my favourite cartoon is Steven Universe.

To complete a creative project, and give myself the experience and confidence to do further projects. Also to have fun with my sibling, make them laugh, and annoy them with my terrible ideas. :D

Submitted
Our game concept for this game jam is similar, but as a racing game rather than a platformer.

This sounds awesome. Excited to see it. Best of luck Krall!

Thanks so much! I really hope we can make something fun for people to enjoy with their friends. :D

Deleted 3 years ago
Submitted

Hi Emma! I just checked out absolutely valuable. That's very impressive! There's a lot going on in there, I'm impressed how well it works for it being the first videogame you had the chance to work on. Space Haven sounds like a ton of fun as well. I enjoy making board games, but it's difficult enough to find folks to play "real" board games with nowadays, forget about playtesting ;)

Best of luck to you as you strike out on your own. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you!

Submitted

Hello! I'm Stevo. You betcha I want to introduce myself! :) Nice to meet everyone.

Nope, this is the first organized game jam I've participated in. I've noodled around with making games in Clickteam Fusion before years back in high/middle-school, and I want to get back in the saddle and get in the habit of making things again.

I really enjoy videogames, and I love to try all different kinds to see what's out there. The Legend of Zelda series is one of my favorites though,particularly the 2D ones (...plus Breath of the Wild of course :), and that seemed like an easy enough style game that my teammate and I could make a bite-sized game in 2 weeks.

Just Clickteam Fusion. I've got a little experience in computer programming, and helped a very tiny bit with a friend who built an RPG engine in Java. I'd love to really get down into the weeds with programming more in-depth games in the future.

Being happy. I believe being happy is a choice - I like being happy, so I chose to be happy, and that makes me happy. It's not quite as easy as that, but it's a great way to live.

My goals are: (1) To practice working on a team, and (2) To get in the habit of making projects again and jamming.

The advice that seems to help me the most is just to keep sticking with it, and scale back. Start with the tiniest thing, see if you can make that, and if you end up making that in 1 day, great! Add some more detail/levels/polish/etc. It's so easy for me to overcommit.

I'm a newbie, but it seems like y'all are doing a great job! Keep it up!

Hello you beautiful people!! I go by juicemin, and I'm currently a sophomore majoring in Computer Game Science. I'm new to itch.io as well as making games, so I'm a bit nervous but excited! 

Nope, this is my very first online game jam! I decided to join purely because I would like to gain more experience making games; it also feels a lot less intimidating/more encouraging when there's a bunch of other beginners doing it as well!

I love games with an interesting narrative;; so I'm mostly into VNs and RPGs. But my favorite games include the KH series, Ib, and Undertale.  It's not like these specific games inspired me, but generally I fell in love with how video games are like another level of immersion as opposed to reading books and watching a movie. I just think it's really cool being able to create your own story/world and having others immerse themselves and have fun with you too!

Not much, I took one class in high school and one in college so far; I can't really remember the engine I used in HS, but I recently used scratch for a class and created 3 small mini games: pong , a platformer, and tower of hanoi.

I love art, dancing, and taekwondo! I also really love anime/manga (if that isn't too cringey to saY LMAO) HMU IF U WANT SUM ANIME RECS

I'd like to actually finish my game before the jam is over, learn how to use RPGMaker, and develop my skills in digital/pixel art to create my own characters/visuals! Any form of progress for the latter two I will be content with LOL so my real goal is to finish making a game.

MAN im posting this with 99.9% shame b/c i have no idea if i can get ANYTHING done to present by the end of this jam due to sched problems, but

yes, hello! i'm poke. i go by h2o2/h3o3, pilumvane and princepoke/p.poke around as well, but feel free to call me anything ya want.
i draw, and like to explore, adventure and create! i usually/mostly do illustrations, character designs, and graphics(?) assets - usually for pet sites! stuff like item art, pet art, etc, etc. I always love to learn new things tho, and try out different things, so I also do stuff like backgrounds/sceneries, pixel art, and other smtimes. I also love to design and create merchandise stuff, and table in cons once in a blue moon.

I've been doing art for about 5 yrs now, and I also sing/play the guitar on the side as a hobby (have been doin it for abt a yr-ish). 
ya can find me on twitter @moRonsense and on tumblr @pilumvane (inactive rn)

yeah! i joined the last two jams in teams, and sadly we weren't able to release a game. This time around, I'm hoping to go solo, and try to actually try learning something on the coding side, even if its very basic. I'm also planning to tackle things at a much smaller scale, with a smaller game (literally. LAFFS)

i love mystery/puzzle games, rhythm games and slice-of-life games, like professor layton, and rhythm hero/elite beat agents, and stardew valley/animal crossing respectively. I absolutely love satire genre as a whole tho (games included). I think they definitely have made me want to make my own games, definitely! I'd love to make sum very very simple games such as The Farmer (if.... anyone knows this flash game sdahjkd... absolute best imo), and games like tamagochi where u take care of smthing.... or fishing mechanics hehe

nnno;; ahahaha i do have VXAce, bu never got around to using it as of yet.

i am hoping to explore game dev with renpy this game jam tho! starting with small steps,,

love learning/exploring in general!! as well as soft/melancholic themes and space. i love ambient things in general, and the peace and calmness of gray noise. 

doing different things, hobbies, and enjoying general life things is something i passionately try to do in general, i think. im very enthusiastic about the small steps. small joys.

i'm aiming to actually get a game out, no matter how small it is! but more than anything, my main goal is to learn how to code at least a lil bit :-0c
the most code tinkering i've gotten the chance to do until now has all be design-based, so id def love to be able to at least learn how to do the smallest hings :-)c

overall, if ur working in a team, I think delegating tasks are definitely very important. often times, the work of the writer can get overlapped into the coder's work, as they're the ones who usually have more knowledge of what theyre capable of making (from my experience at least!!) and this can slow down the pace of the coding and game-making process overall. so delegating tasks are very important, i think!!

and definitely gauging how much work you can do, and at least giving urself small deadlines, so u can finish things within teh time is a good idea as well, i think.

tho definitely overall, the most important thing is to definitely enjoy the process!! no matter what, as long as u walk away with the tiniest bit of added joy, pride, knowledge or fun, the others are second already i think!! but mayb thats just me (ahahaha)

i think the admins are doing an amazing job! perhaps lil motivators in the discord could b great! but definitely not necessary, as the community, and all the dev logs are rlly nice motivators :-0cc

Submitted

Howdy! My name IRL is Guilherme, on the internet I go by Keyb or Keyband. I'm brazilian and currently coursing Physics Engineering.

Nope. I'm joining because it seems a good game jam to be my first! Also, there's a lot of people participating, and I believe the feedback will be big and precious. After this one I plan participating on other ones, like (one day maybe) Ludum Dare.

SNES' games have a place in my heart. I find as an inspiration almost any game from that era, in at least one thing: like the gameplay, graphics, the creativity. If I were to pick, would select Super Mario World, ALttP, Megaman X, and Street Fighter 2. 

But what made me want to make my own game is that nowadays it's easier to develop a game, and maybe I can make something as good as it is in my mind.

I already tried making some minor projects, completing none. Tried Game Maker and Unity, but the licensing of the first and some particular issues with the second got me away from them. Now I use the outstanding Godot Engine 3.0, in the second beta at the moment. It is a very good engine, albeit kinda hard to understand on the beginning!

Well, I love playing games. Sleeping is nice too. And physics are OK I guess! (laughs)

I'm participating with a friend of mine, called Sklaiser. We're aiming to make a very small Megaman X-like game, with its own charm. Since this will be the first project we will finish, I expect to learn lots of stuff, from coding to graphics to music.

--

--

Submitted

So when the game jam was starting, I was having crazy weather with power outages, so I missed the community section of this jam and went straight to making my game, so I’m super late with this lol

Hello! My name is Liz, I made Ziquirrel Games so I didn’t have to release games under my actual name. Ziquirrel is shortened version of Zippy Squirrel, the name of my first car and my favorite animal! I’m a self-taught graphic designer that has been in love with video games and computer games, even though I’m not the best at them, for as long as I can remember! I’ve always wanted try to make my own games, and finally in 2018, I decided to try!

This Game Jam ever; I joined because I found the itch.io website through a random article and I decided 2018 was the year I finally try making video games! I’ve done similar type events when I was in film school, where I had to make a complete movie in 36 hours, so I thought a Game Jam would be a fun way to learn how to make games 

I have a weird and varied taste in games; I like simulation games most I guess, followed by racing, fighting/beat-em-up games, and strategy games, I especially love early Maxis simulation games plus The Sims series, early Blizzard Entertainment games/Diablo 3, the Saints Row Series, and Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons/Stardew Valley type games. I don’t really know what game inspired me in general, but I think what most influenced me to try jump starting on making games was Stardew Valley, because I’ve always been thinking “ugh if I could make my own version of Harvest Moon, I would do this, this and this” etc, but didn’t really it was a feasible game idea until Stardew Valley 

I have 0 actual game development experience, I’m using the Construct 3 game engine to make my game. I have a very basic knowledge of Python, plus some experience being a Producer/Production Manager in film, that normally translates to the video game industry, and my self-taught Art Design and Graphic design experience; though I’m not very good at pixel art, which is something I want to work on

Well besides computer games and video games, I’m very passionate about cooking, Japanese culture, art, filmmaking, and photography

Well basically to figure out making a game in the Construct 3 game engine, also one of my big goals is to go from being very bad at pixel art to being maybe-not-so-bad at pixel art

7 & 8 are not applicable to me because I have NO IDEA what I am doing lol

(2 edits)

My name is Christopher. im from Colombia.

Im an amateur game developer, im nineteen years old, and i take game development as a hobby and a passion alike.

• I did not, this would be my second attempt in participating a Jam, even though last attempt i didn't uploaded anything.
  •  The reason why i decided to join this jam, is mainly because this would be the first time i try to make a narrative game. 

• Faster Than Light,  this game is just simply amazing, I've wasted dozens of hours in FTL, and i think it was great inspiration for a lot of tiny things i've written about Sci-Fi
  • Nuclear Throne, Shmup, awesome game, awesome gameplay, one of the best out there.
  • Super Paper Mario.
  • Grears of War Franchise.
  • Pokemon saga, i fell in love with pokemon games sinse im a small child, and its just covers my entire childhood.

• I do have experience, however, its very limited, it mainly consists of a lot of different attempts to complete a proyect, yet i never seem to have enough motivation to advance past the main menu hahaha... :(

• Astronomy, you can tell ill make a lot of space games in the future xd.
  • Game development overall.

• Learn something, meet new people, and have a good time exploring new ideas regarding game development.

• Yo, don't join when the submission countdown is two days remaining... like i did...

• Time management, if you have a lot of doubts regarding story, let me tell you that some times, Gameplay > Lore (Some times)...
Submitted

Hi, I'm Jayesh. I've been a software dev for a long time, but only recently I decided to take game dev seriously. "Fold Wars" is my first game that I developed for others to play. It's a 2D Tower Defense game. I want to experiment with art style and music, to make this an interesting strategy game. It's still in early stages of development, but it's playable on itch.

Nope, missed that one. Only recently became active on itch.

My first favorite was "Age of Empires". Then StarCraft. I also have favorites in other genre - Bioshock Infinite, Dirt Rally, Braid, Limbo, Inside

Not exactly. I've lot of experience with programming and also in graphics programming (both 2D and 3D). But games are more than programming. I haven't been confident enough with my artistic abilities to venture into game development ... that is until now! 

Dreaming about new possibilities with my software projects.

Meet other newbie game devs like me. Get feedback from people on my game.

I'm new myself!

Thanks for organizing.

Hi!

I'm Jamal. I've been programming for a while, and have always want to try my hand at game development.

I did not. I joined this jam to finally get more motivation to work on a game.

I'm a big fan of JRPGs and adventure games. The game Kentucky Route Zero is one of the more recent ones that made me want to try this.

I tried one of the Unity tutorials a while ago.

Passionate about learning stuff, and the capacity of people to learn.

To create a simple arcade game, and to learn the basics of PICO-8

n/a

n/a