Right, that lag was inbuilt, I consider removing it altogether since it otherwise impedes mouse aiming.
Recent community posts
HDog Ace Access Build 0.7315 (Ultraviolet)
- Fixed a bug where destroying IFVs would refund double the points to the enemy point pool
- Fixed a bug preventing IFVs "dying" state from taking effect
- Cut some redundant object creation and destruction when collecting SRM
- SRM spawners favor spawning higher value srm pickups instead of low value more now
- Fixed tutorial now resetting srm counter color to non-tutorial color
- Fixed a problem where boss three would spawn additional ground props
- Fixed boss three not spawning air props sometime
- The game now has hard limiters on late game spawns, preventing too many enemies being present at the same time
- The game condenses SRM pickups to high value variants if too many SRM pickups are present at the start of an intermission scene
- Increased SRM pickup attraction force
- Dying enemies now get destroyed on intermission launch (eliminates the chance to forgo SRM rewards even though an enemy has been beaten)
- Streamlining: Changed some common binary state checks from strings to values
- Fixed a bug where destroying two carrier engines simultaneously isn't counted correctly towards carrier engine loss
- Toned down screen glitching on carrier destruction
Yeah thanks for reporting that, I'll look into it. How far into the game did those crashes happen? I guess if you got 750srm after I fight it must have been pretty far in. You can get fractions of SRM (but the game isn't supposed to show you, that's a bug.) The mid and endgame and enemy spawns will still change a lot, but I'm a little worried about those runtime and memory usage errors. I'll look into it.
Hm ok I'm investigating the RAM usage thing. If you want you can you try running the game with particles disabled, that might have an effect. About a pushback: Might be a undiscovered bug, but is probably melee breakage. Melee weapons all have a limited piercing value and they will break after exceeding the amounts of enemies they can hit in one strike. This will destroy the current strike, throwing you back depending on weapon damage. Light weapons like the Sai or the Katana break more easily, the knife even breaks after one hit, but deals hight damage. Heavy stuff like the Hammer or the Maw basically never break. There are some melee passives that increase piercing.
HDog Ace Access Build 0.7312 (Ultraviolet)
- Fixed auto resolution not scaling background correctly
- Removed largest fixed resolution option for testing purpose
- Fixed mouse aiming taking effect during intermission scene
- Fixed some bad item description/quotes
- Fixed some typos in item descriptions/quotes
- Targeting cursor from mouse aiming now takes priority over any other mouse cursors your run might use
- Fixed some odd background sun behaviour in tutorial
- Changed on-screen messages to a more robust system that should work better with custom resolutions
- Removed to demo for the meantime, since it is fairly outdated and refers to the concluded greenlight campaign a lot. I'll eventually make a new, more up to date demo build
Thanks for tuning in! Just in case, are you using dual monitor setup? I'm not sure but that migh break the auto option. I'll take care of the color bars bug and the other stuff tomorrow. Multiple of the same passives is still intentional, all passives are designed in a way that copies amplyfy the effect. (Two times powerty makes srm drops worth even less but also increases chest drop chance even more.)
Enabling strafing for keyboard aiming is under consideration. I'm not sure whether mouse aiming really makes things easier, or at least personally I feel way more vulnurable with it enabled... But overall the whole thing is definately too easy right now. Also: Look at all those things you can't buy! :D
HDog alpha 0.709 Ultraviolet is finally here, featuring a lot new content in terms of items, as well as some general improvements and quality of life tweaks. Thanks for all your feedback so far, the alpha and AMAZE have been very valuable in that regard. Please continue to report any bugs or odities you might encounter. Some of the new stuff is still subject to change/might need rebalancing. Full dev log is
coming during the next days.
- Basically doubled the amount of actives passives, and weapons available in the game. Especially weapons got a lot new additions, including many new melee options.
- Player can now enrage with certain items, enemies can be EMP or confused. More effects like these have been added alongside the new items.
- You wont find duplicates of weapons you already have anymore
- You can now reverse thrust to break. This can also be used to hover more easily over ground targets.
- You can now toggle mouse aiming at any point during the game. This makes left and right act as strafe keys. The mouse aiming thing is still WIP, I'm not convinced whether it is really feasible, generally I prefer the existing controls but I leave it in to give you the option. Mouse aiming will also interfere with some item function, so yeah, WIP.
Quality of Life Tweaks
- You can now rebind the shoot and jump keys. Mouse 1 and 2 will always retain that function though (you'll need that for some items.)
- Very large screens are now supported. The largest resolution option is now "auto", which will have the game detect your screen size and adjust accordingly. (This won't work well on very small screens.)
- Getting hit now displays some screen glitching, giving some more feedback when you take shield damage
- Gravity is slightly lower, and the camera follows you further down when near the ground
- Clouds change appearance depending on background, makes them stand out less and hopefully makes the playing field a little clearer. Background clouds and the nova are now slightly transparent, again to increase visual clarity.
HDog Ace Access Build 0.730 (Ultra Violet)
- Added 41 new passives with various effects, have fun finding out what they all do :)
- Added 9 new actives (defense, offense, utility)
- Added 18 new weapons (heavy and short-range melee, shotgun variants, light HE launchers, death ray and more)
- Added better homing support for all weapon categories
- EMP: new status effect, prevents enemies from attacking/using abilities, airborne enemies fall out of the sky
- DMZ Field now also EMPs all enemies on the screen for a short time
- Enrage: new player buff, gives large bonus to crit chance and boost ignition
- Acum damage combo multiplier per shot now changes depending on weapon
- Streamlined on hit event for player shots a bit
- Radiation and Damage Cascade shots no longer loose the effect upon inflicting it
- Bonus damage from crits now ignores enemy damage resistance
- Acum damage no longer ignores enemy damage resistance
- Removed unintended piercing bonus on Katana shot deflection
- Fixed pause menu loading and unloading tons of star assets in the background (might fix windows pause lag)
- Fixed parts of the tutorial ignoring sound options
- Camera will follow you further when near the ground (improves visibility when doing air-to-ground combat on lower resolutions)
- Lowered shake on Katana strikes
- Lance combo has a little more reach now
- Opening chests during intermission now requires some button mashing
- Fixed Flares not being part of the actives loot pool
- Added reverse thrust ability, can be used to break/hover (mapped to s by default, can be remapped in options)
- Some engine items now also affect revers thrust
- Containment Shutdown now changes the color of your burn and also applies to reverse thrust burn
- Pickup quotes remain on screen a little longer now
- Experimental: SRM pickups are way smaller now (will potentially add an option to no show it during combat at all)
- Added the ability to control jet pitch via the mouse cursor
- Added button that toggles mouse aiming on/off (mapped to t by default, can be remapped in options)
- Background nova is now handled separately from actual background, allowing for more combinations of novas and backgrounds
- Background nova is now less pronounced
- Cloud friends now change color depending on background
- Bakground cloud friends are now slightly transparent (might become a game options)
- Far cloud friends now parallax less hard
- Close background cloud friends now parallax a little more
- Fixed shield particles appearing on melee weapon breakage not being spawned nicely
- XRay Laser fires slightly faster now
- Fixed a problem preventing beams from getting proc effects in most situations
- Melee strikes now slightly turn with the player
- Many melee weapons have more noticeable knockback now
- Getting hit by shots and explosions now produces additional shield particles
- Leathal explosions start more flashy now
- Fixed rebinding some keys in the options not working correctly
- You can now bind fire and jump to additional keys apart from the mouse buttons (default is n and m, mouse buttons still function as usual)
- Knockback from breaking high damage blades is less severe now
- Improved mouse cursor collision detection during intermission scene
- Chests now go on a short timeout after opening them during the jump intermission, preventing player from accidentally pickup up content with follow up clicks
- Dropping flares now has close enemies loose track of you for a few seconds
- Added some screen glitching for when the player takes damage
- Added player location indicator for when player jet is obscured by props/ground/clouds
- Added basic functionality for weapon loot pools (prevents spawning of duplicate weapons during a run)
- Intermission boost counter arrows are way larger now
- Intermission boost counter arrows keep further away from the player now
- The tutorial now pauses when relevant objectives are gives
- The tutorial now also teaches you how to use reverse thrust
- Tons of other stuff I forgot about
Enabling that is under consideration. And yeah, right now its impossible for balancing reasons, I wanted them to be a relevant mid-game threat and shooting them down would make countering them super easy. There are various ways to get rid of them though, some requiring certain weapons and actives, some always work. You'll figure it out over time. :) I can also spill the beans on all the possible counters if you want. :D
Thanks for the feedback! More direct shield status visualization is under consideration. Although you understood it pretty well so far. But I can see that an actual bar/something might be more feasible, I'm still looking into that.
Togglable mouse aiming (controlling pitch with mouse that is) will come with the next update.
And thanks for the colab offer! I'm a little occupied with managing the project as a whole, as well as with my freelance gig, so I'm not sure if I'd have time to spare for managing that. Also I'm poor and you shouldn't give me your words for free. <3 But out of curiosity, have you read anything by Iain M. Banks?
People on steam greenlight brought up the idea of enabling the player to aim with the mouse, meaning making your cursor visible permanently and have your jet turn towards it (at your current turn rate). Thoughts?
Yeah the mouse thing is a remnant from an early version of the alpha cards on the title screen. I'll hide that away again at some point, but it will eventually be used to select ships. Are you seeing the games mouse cursor or an regular windows cursor though?
The builds previously to 0.7084 actually had a major slip up in regards to optimization. I got the problem identified no. The game will probably still improve further in regards to performance.
HDog Ace Access Build 0.7084 (Infrared)
- Fixed a piercing shots not piercing correctly at low piercing values
- Added failsave to prevent go button from escaping during wave intermission
- Improved performance by caching way more regularly used assets at game launch
Yeah it determinately feels like its growing. Support has been so so for me. I didn't get another response when inquiring in more detail about refinery, but there are some chaps who have been very for coming with helping me getting my stuff to work on the Itch app.Kind of a mixed back so far, but I'm helped where I realy need it.
HDog Ace Access Build 0.7083 (Infrared)
- Some spell checking
- Tier 1 Fighter maximum attack range decreased
- Tier 1 Fighter minimum attack range increased
- Tier 1 Fighter shot speed and shot acceleration decreased
- Flack Turrets are on a longer attack cooldown after being spawned now
- Added a targeting marker appearing on the player when enemies fire, even when they are off screen
- Direct fire enemies now telegraph their lines of fire (considered as attack tell, can be turned off in options)
- Melee attacks no longer detonates enemy rockets and missiles
- Melee deflection now also works on enemy rockets and missiles
(deflected missiles loose their homing ability)
- The lance now has a three hit combo
- Firing a charged shot (sword cleave for example) now correctly prevents you from attacking immediately afterwards
- Boss 1 add spawn time decreased
I know, I found it kind of confusing too at first. Refinery indeed is an umbrella term that describes all these features. (Itch support basically told me that its the inbuild features that are available to every one.) To me it looked like its a program you can specifically opt in as creator, given that there is a special page with "current and future games using refinery". But thats not really how it works it seems, it's just the toolset everyone has access to now.
Good, I kinda brute-forced that one, removing most of the beep mechanic in order to make sure its gone. I'd still love it to have differing pitch on the homing beep at least, but I won't touch that thing for some time. One week of investigation was enough. :D Thanks again for your patience!
A little more detail on what's coming next. If you want to track my progress and current tasks in even more detail you can check out the game dev Trello: https://trello.com/b/JEMcU3rX/hyperspace-dogfights-development
Next Alpha Release (Ultraviolet)
More Passives, Actives and Weapons
The item saturation is still far from what the game will eventually offer. For the first release I mostly worked in a lot of straight forward stat items. Now I want to focus on passive items with more complex effects (comparable to what Shot Displacer and Bounty Hunter Database does.) I also want to extend the weapon rooster with more melee options and new takes on the ranged gear. A few new passives are also in the pipe.
Stores, Item Choice
This will extend the impact of the game economy and also give you some ways to actually build your jet in a certain direction. Randomness will still be strong factor, in terms what you get offered, but you'll at least have some kind of control over the direction your jet develops in and you can purposefully create synergies. Stores will be accessed during the intermission scene between waves. They'll have their own wave type that unlocks the store for the remainder of the current zone.
Alongside that I also want to implement choice chests that can replace any chest you find ingame. Those will offer you a choice of three items when opening them.
Unlock System, Loot Pools, Chest Rarity
The universal availability of items will be replaced with loot pools that can be extended across all runs by unlocking new items. Chests will have rarity levels that govern which pools they draw their content from.
Passives are all designed in a way that makes gaining multiple copies of them give better benefits. In a similar way weapons will get randomized modifiers every time you find them, extending the variance of gear. Whether you'll still be able to pick up multiple weapons of the same type is still under consideration.
More Enemy Types, Aces and Elites
Pretty self explanatory. I'm gravitating towards more enemies with strong, telegraphed attacks for the late game. Some existing enemies will get new variants and additional attachments they can field. Some enemies will only be found in certain zones.
Visual and Mechanical Variation in Zones
Eventually I want each zone to have two possible skins that also affect the gameplay there. Features that where present in the first release will be found across all zones (Rock Structures, Floating Islands). Some zones will have specific enemy types that can only appear there.
More Bosses, Boss Pools for Each Zone
The bosses present in the first Alpha release will most likely become the boss pool of zone one, with new bosses populating later zones.
Multiple Player Ships to Choose From
One of them will continue to start with a random loadouts, the others will have custom, fixed starting gear and lean towards a certain playstyle.
Visual Fluff and More Juice
That kinda happens allongside everything else.
An Actual Ending
With a final boss and potentially an option to continue playing in loops.
Let me know what you think and what you'd like to see prioritized.
Previously on Hyperspace Dogfights' Development: Prototype Dev Vlog
Dev Vlog #9 ( Week 18 )
More actives, 2nd Boss
Dev Vlog #8 ( Week 16 )
Tutorial simulation, even more items
Dev Vlog #7 ( Week 13 )
First boss, full options menu.
Dev Vlog #5 ( Week 10 )
Added waves, enemy spawning behavior, intermission scene and item chests.
Dev Vlog #4 ( Week 8 )
Added passive and active items, as well as the supporting ui.
Dev Vlog #3 ( Week 7 )
Added lots different ship guns and the supporting ui.
Dev Vlog #2 ( Week 5 )
Implemented additional enemy types.
Dev Vlog #1 ( Week 4 )
Basic air combat and jet behavior.
Hi there new test pilots
Welcome to the HDog Ace Access thing, please hit me with your feedback whenever you see fit!
I'm especially interested in hearing how the game feels after a few round/ a few days in. How do you feel about replaying it? What might keep you from it? Anything that feels lastingly annoying? Does the game feel fair? Is it too slow/ too overwhelming at times? How does enemy spawning and difficulty feel? Any particular sucker punches? Your take on the difficulty? Any items feel too powerful/useless? (Some stuff is supposed to be real good or even broke, but I'm interested in hearing if certain stuff feels like it doesn't impact the game much.)
As for bugs, bad descriptions, stuff showing the wrong graphic, etc: that goes into the bug reports thread.
Thanks for your help! Lets make this thing the best alpha experience it can be!
- Rare crash on Windows 10 when enemy missile locks are present. (Possibly fixed, please report if it still happens.) - Linux version won't run when launched through the itch app (solved)
- Weapons you already have can be found again (this is basically a feature in development, will get fixed in the Ultraviolet update)
- Mouse cursor is visible on the title screen (another feature in development, is useless but has no negative consequences either, will be resolved eventually)