If anyone has anything else to add to these suggestion let me know in this thread and I will add your suggestion to the bottom of this post and give credit in the form of a link to your post.
As of 5th December 2015, I have added (IMPLEMENTED) next to all implemented suggestions. Any suggestions that have implemented pretty much exactly as suggested will be in green, any features that have been partially implemented (as in part of what the person wanted is there) will be shown in yellow. All fully implemented suggestions (green) will be removed from this post after a while to keep it clean. Any individual parts of suggestions will also be colour-coded on partially implemented to show what's missing if applicable.
So I've been on the forum and I've noticed it's missing a few things.
- Add image button
- More text formatting options (colour, glow.etc)
- Add videos to posts with a button
- Emoticons (IN PROGRESS)
- User statistics (e.g. date they joined the site, post count, online/offline.etc) (SOME FEATURES IMPLEMENTED VIA FORUM PROFILES)
- These stats could also be incorporated into profile pages somehow.
- Who's Online list at the bottom of the forum's "home" page. (Also suggested by SolarLune)
- Friend list
- Private messaging feature. (Also suggested by HAL 9001)
I know they can all be done with HTML code (I was able to add some text colour to my intro thread post via HTML) but not everyone knows HTML. Practically all forums have ways to add content such as images and videos via a button and I'm actually surprised that this feature isn't present here.
Here are some other suggestions suggested by people who replied to this:
- Format visited links in a different colour. (Suggested by NotExplosive) (IMPLEMENTED)
- Image gallery system. (Suggested by Virtually Competent)
- Add link somewhere to notifications. (Suggested by SnoutUP)
- Add inline reply forms. (Suggested by SnoutUP)
- Forum signatures. (Suggested by Virtually Competent)
- Add markdown support. (Suggested by nounoursheureux)
- Add a reply with quote button. (Suggested by nounoursheureux)
- Add page numbers to each thread page rather than displaying pages by the number of posts. (Suggested by eggboycolor)
- Forum search to search for threads/posts (Suggested by Taro)
- Remove edit count and/or allow "invisible" edits within first two minutes of the post being posted. (Suggested by ninjadodo)
- Option to view all posts by a certain user and show new replies to your posts. (Suggested by ninjadodo)
- Show number of active members/posters. (Suggested by SolarLune)
- Boards on forum designed for player-to-developer interaction. (Suggested by Sun-Studios)
- Allow people to tag others via the @ symbol (e.g. @archangelatom) and notify those who've been tagged. (Suggested by SolarLune)
- Project progress icons for devlog threads. (Suggested by ninjadodo)
- Make email notifications less confusing in terms of post links within the email. (Suggested by Guard13007)
- Add a reply button under the first post in a thread. (Suggested by Cookaie)
- Make topics bold if there are new posts there, regardless of whether the thread has been visited before. (Suggested by Jeasonfire)
- Mark all threads as read. (Suggested by Jeasonfire)
- Rearrange page links to first/previous/next/last. (Suggested by Jeasonfire)
- Add inline code syntax (Suggested by Elisée)
- Reverse post order (Suggested by slimefriend)
- Let users annotate that analytics graphs. (Suggested by anderssonkev)
- Give access to Steam keys once a game that someone has bought makes it onto the Steam store. (Suggested by dibdob1)
- Scrap the current reply system and replace it with a more conventional quote system. (Suggested by Rotato Studio)
- Add an itch.io help forum for help with various features of itch.io. (Suggested by chicmonster)
- Forum search feature. (Suggested by SolarLune)