You can help by translating itch to your language here: https://weblate.itch.ovh/projects/itchio/itch/
- You need to be logged in to make suggestions — the server will error if you try to submit a suggestion being logged out.
- You can log in using GitHub or register with your e-mail address
- I review all suggestions made, and approve or discard them.
- I'm more or less aware of what goes on in English, French, Spanish, Italian, and German translations, but for other languages, esp. eastern-european/asian/middle-eastern, I'm reliant on both downvotes & upvotes, and reverse translation
- Having multiple translators for one language is great, as it allows peer review via voting & comments.
- There are two levels of comments: source comments to ask for more context on the original (English) string, and translation comments to discuss how a particular string should be translated. You can choose that using the 'Scope' dropdown when leaving a comment.
- If you have doubts on how a string is being used in the app, even after reading the context string (which may be something like prompt.payments_disabled.actions.open_web_page), leave a source comment (which translators of all languages can see), preferably in English so others have a chance to benefit from your question as well.
- Improving translations by continuous refinement is an ongoing effort
- You can submit suggestions at any time, even if the string is already translated
- Don't submit the exact same translation as a suggestion — just smile and move on to the next string. Any unnecessary/duplicate suggestion is extra work for me!
- When adding a (different) suggestion for an already-translated string, please leave a translation comment (not a source comment) to help me choose the best version.
- When translating multiple related strings, you can add words to the glossary of your language to make sure the translation remains consistent. For example, in the Polish translation, we settled on Ścieżka for the "location" in "install location", and it's in the glossary now: https://weblate.itch.ovh/dictionaries/itchio/pl/
- All languages are welcome: if your language isn't listed as a translation, feel free to start a new one with the 'Start new translation' button.
- Always go through weblate for translations, never through GitHub pull requests
- It took me some time to get the weblate setup right, but it now works beautifully, allows collaboration and retains authorship.
- If you have a weblate-specific question, make sure to check their Translator's guide first.
- It's planned to add automatic i18n updates from within the app so that users don't have to wait for new minor versions
I will never be able to thank enough all the translators that have already contributed to making itch accessible to many more. It's a pleasure working with all of you!