SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Inspector Waffles - SUBMITTED

A topic by Goloso Games created Jan 08, 2017 Views: 2,043 Replies: 44
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 26 · Next page · Last page
Submitted(+5)

Hi everyone !

For my first game jam, my goal was to make a point and click, like the ones I played when I was younger (Broken Sword, Monkey Island ... yes I'm old). I don't have a name right now, but the main character will be Inspector Waffles.

I'm already working on an other game (check my Twitter if you are interested), so Inspector Waffles is a side-project. My goal is not to finish it in 2 weeks, but at least to make 2 or 3 scenes. I like the idea of the 2 weeks duration to make something working at the end of it.

I'm also using new softwares I got from the Humble Bundle (Hexels, SpriteIlluminator). I'm very satisfied of both of them at the moment !

Game story

Inspector Waffles is an old school inspector, spending his spare time in bars. One night, a very rich cat is finding dead outside his house. Inspector Waffles is called to find if he kills himself or if he was murdered.

First day devlog :

Dialogs and riddles (90%)

I wrote a couple of scenes, probably 20minutes of gameplay. The hardest part was setting up the puzzles, not too easy, not too hard. I'll probably change some sentences during the jam, but it's almost done.

Drawing characters (50%)

I am not a pixel artist, so I'm quite satisfy with the result. I've planned to do 2 other characters, but I won't have the time to make crazy animations I guess.

First scene (10%)

The body was found in front of a big house. I did a background, but I'm not satisfy with it at the moment, I'll probably change a couple of stuffs (too narrow in my opinion).

Programming (0%)

Nothing at the moment. I'll start today or tomorrow.

Next steps :

I'ld like to do some talks between characters first, and then finish the first scene : it's going to be a "cinematic" scene, where there is almost nothing to do, any aspect of the point & click game mechanics.

Don't hesitate to give me feedbacks, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Submitted(+1)

Ohhh man, I really like the first scene's background! It really gives off a mysterious atmosphere. I'm a sucker for not only point and click adventures, but also mysteries, so you can bet I'll be checking back on your devlog to see how things are going. I can't wait to see your progress!

Submitted

Thanks ! :)

The art looks great so far! I'm always on the look out for whodunit games, can't wait to see more!

Submitted(+1)

Thanks :) I didn't know about the word "whodunit", and that's the perfect word for what I'm trying to do :)

Submitted

I love your art style! It makes me think of games like Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick, even though it is not the same.

Submitted(+1)

Thanks ! :) I'm also inspired by L.A. Noire, one of my favourite game ever :)

Submitted

NICE!!!!

Submitted

Whoa, this is... pardon the pun... my jam! I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Submitted

Thanks ! :) That's ok, game will have a lot of puns about cats and dogs.

Submitted

It's very nice! I love a good murder mystery. Just out of curiosity, are you making this in Adventure Game Studio, or a different engine?

Submitted

Thanks ! I'm using Unity. On my next post, I'll explain all the softwares I'm using for this game jam.

Submitted(+2)

Hi everyone !

Yesterday, I said I won't have time to make animations. Well, I've changed my mind :)

2nd day devlog :

First scene (50%)

Drawing is almost done, I just need to do a couple of animations (shining stars and blinking lights for example), for me it's a little bit too static.

I added character animations, I used Spriter to do that, and the result is pretty good ! This software looks promising. You can also see the first dialogs between Waffles and Patches.

Next, I will add the interaction between scene and mouse clicks.

Programming (2%)

I made a little dialog system between 2 protagonists, launching animations and showing conversations.

Softwares

I forgot to tell you that I will do my game on Unity. This game engine is the only thing that is not new for me. I'm also using Spriter, Hexels, SpriteIlluminator and before starting the game jam, I had no idea how to use it. Not to mention that I've never done a Point&Click before ;)

Next steps :

Tomorrow, I will add interaction between the mouse pointer and scene objects. If I have time, I'll make the inventory (I already left empty space behind the scene).

Submitted

Damn.....those pixels are awesome.

Submitted

Wow, thanks :) It gives me a lot of motivation :)

Host

ahhh man i love old style point and clicks. i love the style of this so far--it looks really awesome!

Submitted

Thanks, I'm really happy to read this ! I'll do my best to do a great game :)

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Hi everyone !

Today, I did what I wanted to do : cursors and inventory !

3rd day devlog :

Cursors, clicking on objects (100%)

You can now interact with some objects from the scene. A description appears and Waffles says something about it. The cursor changes from a cat's paw (I hope you like it !) to a magnifying glass if you are on a "special" object.

I'm not sure I'll add other kind of cursors, but I will add a lot more of selectable objects to this scene.

Inventory (50%)

Inventory is very simple at the moment : you can find objects from the scene and they will appear on the bottom of the screen. I'm quite happy with the result at the moment, it starts to look like a real point & click ! :)

Next steps :

Tomorrow, I'm going to add the interaction between the objects from the inventory and objects from the scene (putting the polaroid picture into the trash can for example). And if I have time, doing another scene or polishing this one.

Submitted

This is shaping up really well!

Submitted

This is looking really good :) I am loving that pixel art, can't believe you were able to do so much in such a short period of time. I'll keep an eye on Inspector Waffles.

Submitted

Thanks :) And thanks to Hexels, this software helps me a lot to do it faster than I was expected !

May I ask how hexels helps you to do it faster? I got it as part of the recent humble bundle, but haven't really gotten around to play with it.

Also, this is looking absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to play this :)

Submitted

I got on it on Humble Bundle too, and I do this Game Jam mostly to try these new softwares. I think the palette is easier to use, it's a faster way to draw : you have only one image on your canvas, you can add some glow easily ... I didn't try animation for now, but I guess with only one tile, it could be harder.

I used PyxelEdit before (still using it on my other project), and I think I will use Hexels when I want to do animation with Spriter (like in Inspector Waffles).

I forgot to mention that you can draw with a lot of different styles in Hexels : not only pixel but hexel, trixel, mosaic styles ... For an isometric games, with trixels, it will be so great to do it with this soft.

And I'm not working for them, just telling my opinion ;)

Submitted

Loving the pixel art here. Bobbing head animations too! How on earth will you get this done in time though? Seems a lot of assets to create.

Submitted

I swear I didn't start before :)

I would say it's 4 hours / day on 3 days, mostly drawing. I spent 2 hours max on programming, there is not a lot of codes at the moment. I drew one cat, and the other cats are very close to the others. The map took me a lot of time, but I knew before starting the jam how the house would be. The polaroid took me one hour, maybe two.

And thanks for the feedback !

Submitted(+2)

Hi everyone !

Today I didn't do all I wanted to do because I released a new version of my main project (if you are interested, check my Twitter account). I did only 2 things on Inspector Waffles, but there are 2 important aspects of the game : interactions between the inventory and the scene, and multiple dialogs.

4th day devlog :

Interaction between the Inventory items and the scene (80%)

You can select item from your inventory and try to interact it with the scene. Item is not highlighted when you select it, also when Waffles is talking.

I didn't test the "combine" action between 2 items because ... I didn't draw an other item :) But it should work !

Multiple dialogs (100%)

When you click a 2nd time on the corpse, new dialogs appear. I had to make a dialog system : according to what you already said and what you have in your inventory, dialogs change.

Next steps :

Tomorrow, new scene ! It will be a 100% pixel drawing day. I will probably draw new items too, and testing the "combine" action.

Thank you a lot for your feedbacks and your kind words :)

Host

aaa it's really awesome that you've been able to program the inventory + dynamic dialogue mechanic! this i love the cute little paw cursor ahah. great work! i did a point and click inventory + combining system one time and used an array of compatible item indeces--not sure if this is useful to you. looking forward to seeing it!

Submitted

Thanks :) And I did something like yours, It's a list of unique items, each one with a couple of parameters (with which items you can combine, with which decors there are different dialogs ...)

Submitted

I said this in the Discord chat earlier but again, I really love the looks of this! I'm excited to see the progress of this very much, it's looking great so far.

Submitted

Thank you again :)

Submitted

You're welcome! :>

Submitted(+1)

Hi everyone !

Today I saw Rogue One and it was awesome ! And I did some game dev too.

5th day devlog :

New scene : the bedroom ! (100% for the subsmission)

This is the bedroom inside the house you have already seen. I wanted to add more details, but I won't have time to finish the game if I am polishing too much, so he will stay like this, I think.

This is also how it looks like into Unity, if you are interested about how some aspects of how the game work, let me know !

Decor updates and new selection (100%)

Now, some elements from the scene can move, appear or disappear : they are seperated from the background and can be updated according to what you do with Waffles. See the exemple with the painting of Meowgritte (I hope you like the pun, because I will add more :) ).

It's not obvious to see where are the moving objects and the static ones, and I am quite happy about this !

Also, the windows are really weird on the GIF and their pixels change (it's only in the GIF).

Next steps :

Tomorrow, I'll add the mechanic to go from one scene to an other, and I think it's going to take some time. Probably doing some pixel art too, if I can.

Thank you a lot for your feedbacks and your kind words :)

Submitted(+2)

Hi everyone !

Today, I did a new scene and Waffles can move from one scene to another.

6th day devlog

New scene : the Hall

The hall is the first room you meet when you come inside the house. Not a lot of things to show, only 3 doors which lead to other rooms.

Changing scenes

Waffles can go from one scene to an other, without losing his items. I've added a new cursor (with a door), which let you leave your current scene.

Changing scenes with Unity was not so easy (I met a couple of problems I didn't expect), but it's done !

Next steps :

New scenes, new decors and new items ! I have to do a lot of that before starting the interrogating part !

Host

aaa the moving images/sprites add a lot of character and a feeling of interactivity to the scenes--looks good!!

Submitted

Submitted(+1)

Hi everyone !

7th day devlog

Nothing to show you from yesterday, I'm sorry. I did a couple of new items and decors, but I'm not going to show you all of the items you need to have to finish the game :)

I've also added a saving state from one scene to another : if you moved the painting, for exemple, and you come back into the same room later, the painting will be at the same state you left it. That's a huge progress for the game.

Next steps

I have one week to finish, and I need to do at least 3 scenes, maybe 4. I would like to start the game with a cinematic, no idea if I will have time to do it. And I still need to start the "interrogate" part. It's going to be fine :) Today, I will draw a new scene again and start to test the game, solving my own puzzles (I think I can solve them ;) ).

Submitted(+2)

Hi everyone !

Like yesterday, I'm not going to show you what I did to avoid spoilers and let you discover the game when I will submit it :)

8th day devlog

Today, I've added a couple of items, one door you have to unlock, and a new scene : the library !

This scene art is almost done for the deadline, I only need to do the code behind it : but right now, it's too late, I'm going to sleep :)

Next steps :

I need to do 2 more scenes to complete the house : tomorrow, again, it will be a pixel art day !

Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 26 · Next page · Last page