Recent community posts
Similar to Don't Die Mr Robot and Pacifist Mode on Geometry Wars 2, but that's fine because they're both excellent. Obviously more polish would be good, especially on animation (sometimes the toasts don't animate and the jam doesn't at all) and personally I'd like to see big jammy explosions for everything, but the basic gameplay is great!
May I direct the good Sir at a not entirely dissimilar game I did a while back: https://dekay01.itch.io/david :)
I've just finished a Space Invaders game in PICO-8 so this has come round at the right time. To make best use of previous code and assets, anything invaders and/or cat related would be good for the theme :)
Quick update (no gifs, sorry):
I've tweaked the hitboxes so that any part of a cat hitting the basket counts as a hit, but the dogs can only be "caught" if their bottoms hit the top of the basket.
I've also slowed the basket down slightly, but implemented a "turbo" button to allow you to move faster. Basket speed was "3" before, now it's 2, with turbo being 4. Should make weaving through the cats more doable.
Going to make the cat collisions do something next, aside from decrement the lives counter. I'm thinking explosions with fireworks.
Update! No cat collisions yet, but:
- Too many cats
- I think I have cats and dogs round the wrong way
- Perhaps the "basket" at the bottom should be a bonfire?
- Tweak the hitboxes so you can't "catch" dogs from the side
- Sound effects
- The game is now officially called "Cats. And Sometimes, Dogs"
- Minter Mode
- I've not used any cheeses as variable names yet
I don't have a name yet. But I do have the world's most adequate pixel art:
The top one is a cat and bottom one is a dog. Obviously.
And I've a cat-creator function called TOOL_FOR_CATS.
So I'm clearly working to the correct priorities.
1. deKay! Hello :)
2. No! This is literally My First Game Jam
3. Metroid/Castlevania/Mario/Sonic/Zelda. I like to try and make simple, silly games though.
4. Not really. I've programmed for 8bit computers, written some stuff in AMOS on the Amiga, and dabbled with various game makers. Currently using PICO-8.
6. Not yet :)