Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Compiling entries into a "zine" Sticky

A topic by Rugose Kohn created Jan 31, 2021 Views: 1,146 Replies: 43
Viewing posts 1 to 28
HostSubmitted(+5)

What is the opinion on the entries being compiled into a "zine"? I'm happy to do the work, but that could have an impact on your individual revenues if you submit material as "Pay What You Want". When the submission period ends I'll send out a mass email via the jam page and you can either opt-in or out. So rhetorical question for now, sleep on it, I'll be in touch March 21

Submitted(+2)

Sounds like a great idea! The more content out there in print format, the better.

Submitted(+2)

Honestly, if my crappy content wormed it's way into a Zine I wouldn't mind at all. It'd just be really cool to hear if people liked my things. 

Submitted(+2)

I like the zine idea. Would be a first for me, which makes me giddy.

Submitted

Same. It would be my first. I'd love to be involved in something that's for this community

Submitted(+3)

If my content makes it into a magazine, Ill honestly just donate my revenue to American Heart Association or someone.

Submitted(+4)

Of course, you’d link to our itch pages or give some sort of recognition, correct? For a moment there, I thought it meant I had to make an entire zine. (Whoof. Sigh of relief)

HostSubmitted(+2)

Yes, everyone would be properly credited

Submitted

> For a moment there, I thought it meant I had to make an entire zine. (Whoof. Sigh of relief)

Well, now you have to make a whole Zine since you brought it up. Sorry I don't make the rules!

HostSubmitted

Yep. That’s EXACTLY how it works. Sorry, we will be expecting the zine by next week at the latest.  

Submitted

I'm always up for it being compiled into a zine!

Submitted

I'm also up for compiling it into a zine

Submitted (1 edit)

I'd be proud to have my entry included into a zine (especially for such a great idea). That would far exceed any concerns about not earning as much. I'd love to see a printed product come from FÖLK-LORE....In fact I'd like to see this done more than once. There's so many possible ideas - and it fits in amazingly with MB.

Submitted

I'd be honoured to be in a printed zine!

Submitted

Yes a zine sounds great!

Submitted

+1!

Submitted

I very much don’t want people to pay for my work, is the only thing. 

Submitted(+1)

Well, you could always tell people that your project on itch is free, but the printed finished version is ~paid. I find this to be a good compromise between sharing and profiting, and people will start learning about you.

HostSubmitted

Well the only problem there is, who profits? It sure as hell shouldn't be me. Shouldn't be any one individual member. Yeah we could make all proceeds go to a charity, but setting that up and ensuring it happens is a job in itself. 

The compilation will be done and then hosted for free, like the original Album Crawl Crawl. More than likely, the majority of submissions aren't print ready anyway. People can always do their own printing or use a POD service, leaving the lack of bleed up to the cutting gods.

Submitted

Oh no, I didn't mean that the zine should be paid, but for a personal project it's a good idea to leave a free document online so people can read it and also offer an optional paid, printed version.

HostSubmitted

ah gotcha 

Submitted

You misunderstand what I’m saying here. 

I do not want my work to be sold. 

Not “I want there to be a free option”, not “It’s good to have people to learn about me”, but I do not want my work sold. If the compilation is put into print and paid for, I do not want to be a part of it.

HostSubmitted

Well 1) it won’t be put to print unless an individual decides to print it on their own. So 2) don’t worry about it. 

Submitted(+1)

Cool cool. Sorry for the aggressive reply there. 

HostSubmitted

No worries! I took no offense

Submitted

If someone sets up a POD thing it can always be just paying for the printing costs, with no profit going to anyone.

Submitted(+2)

My submission is coming soon. I would love to see a zine compilation. Have no concerns about income on this, the convenience of users getting to download the whole jam in one shot is well worth it.

HostSubmitted

If anyone is interested, the original Album Crawl is the blueprint that will get used for any compilation

Submitted(+1)

Include me if you make a zine! I'd love to be in it. :)

Submitted

I understand that for the zine compilation, you won't need the "credits" page from my submission "Teind of Alfheim", but the compilation will need to include the credit for the Dyson Logos map I used somewhere in it. It's free for personal/commercial use but requires attribution. Maybe on the index page it can be added?

HostSubmitted

Yeah we can work stuff like that out when it comes time too. Have no fear

Submitted

I love the idea of a compilation zine - if it can happen that would be amazing.

Submitted(+1)

I'd love to see this thing printed, and I bet we can convince someone to make a killer cover for it. Submitted mine with bleed to hopefully make that easier on you.

Submitted(+1)

All about it.

Submitted

I'd be honoured to have something I made in a zine

Submitted(+1)

take my work and give me no money!

Submitted

A compiled zine would be amazing, really. First time I would have any of my work published.

Submitted

Yes please, that'd be awesome! Would love to be included in the zine, if ever :D

Submitted

I am up for it as well

Submitted

i just got the email, and submitted my PDF after removing the legal text... but how will i be credited? is there someone to ensure my name is presented as i'd like it to be? it's in the file name, but i just want to be sure.

HostSubmitted (1 edit)

Everyone will be credited in a “contributors” table of contents type of page. Check out the first Album Crawl project or The Occult Ossuary for examples

Submitted

Sorry, to be clear, i'm asking what name i'll be credited with, or if there's a place we should give that information. Thanks!

HostSubmitted (1 edit)

Whatever name you want. My go to will be to reference the original release. If you want something different, you can email me. You'll specifically be credited as B Halliday, unless you want me to use Bea. Or undeadrook. 

Submitted

Perfect, thank you!