Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How is everyone doing?

A topic by Rain created Sep 28, 2020 Views: 283 Replies: 20
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Submitted(+1)

How do you feel about your game/ what you learned?

Submitted

I'm happy a lot of people is getting the oportunity to try it out and give me feedback to make it better. I've already learned so much of how I can improve it: things like coyote time I didn't know about are really valuable to make a good platformer :) I'm looking forward to implement most recommendations in the game and participate in more game jams so I can get better and practice my gamedev skills. :D How about you?

Submitted

I have coyote time added into my game, its a main mechanic and provides a lot more jump distance.

Submitted

I did a huge amount in this game of two things that terrified me: cutscenes and boss fights. I made a lot of mistakes but I actually got pretty comfortable with it by the end! Now I feel I could tackle these in less than half the time it took when I started. I’m excited to bring these skills to my next game I make!

Submitted

I remember your game. It was amazing!

Submitted (1 edit)

This was my second game jam and only the third game I've ever finished so I learned; One, happy I finished a game, two, remembered a lot of tutorial information without having to return to them to do the desired task while applying that knowledge and try new things that kindve worked out. Three, learning a whole lot of things like better time management, better modeling techniques, and how to let go of a bit of a perfectionist attitude to actually just finish something and move on and learn from mistakes to do better next time. Overall I'm happy with my game, a few small bugs that I missed but not unplayable and feels more complete than my first game jam game. If you have time to try it I would love any feedback on it. I hope you had a great game jam and learned lots 👍😀

Submitted

I feel like I could be a good game designer (laughing arrogantly) Jams is a great way to build experience and skills. But the number of participant is pretty overwhelmingly many.

Submitted

Making my first game was a big challenge but I am so glad I could make it to the end. I learned so much in player controls, UI, audio, level design etc. Plus the feedback helped me understand where I could improve which was great to know for the future. Definitely have some skills to take into the Ludum Dare 47, wish me luck! :D

Submitted

One thing I learned about, and managed to use in the game, was sound effects. Not like I got as many of them into the game as I wanted, but the game is sorta playable with the eyes closed, which I wanted it to be. And I also practiced 3D modelling, but spent way too much time on a model I didn't finish in time. Well, it was my first jam game, and my third or so finished game (the others, I haven't published). It was probably more fun to make than it is to play, but I definitely want to make more games, even if just for fun like this one.

Submitted

Same! I got to add sound effects as well and it came out nicely. This was my second Jam and i want to do more after a break obviously.

Submitted

I learned a lot with my game. Basically the big thing I learned is body collisions to perform tasks, such as pick up an item, or open a door, give the player an ability,  etc.... I have been updating it offline since the game jam submission time ended and below is where I am at with the current iteration, thus far. Still have alot to learn.

Submitted

Overall, I'm happy with my end product. I feel, for a first attempt at making a game, it was a fantastic learning experience. From the weird ways to make sound effects (bullet noise is just me clearing my through, with a bit of reverb added), to creating a dialog system and adding a bit of the ol' Scottish humour.

My one disappointment was that I never had anyone externally play test...  BIG NO NO. Most of my feedback has been something that would have taken less than 5 mins to fix, but because I never had play testers, I never even thought it would be an issue.

Another learning point is that when you submit your game to itch, IT DOES NOT automatically submit your game for the jam lol! I uploaded my game around 15 hours before the jam ended, but only realised that I had to submit the game to the jam separately a few hours before entries closed... that would have been devastating!

Shameless plug - but if anyone wants to hear my super professional sound effects and view museum level artwork then feel free to have a play here: https://itch.io/jam/vimjam/rate/76722

Submitted (1 edit)

I learned that no matter how much time a jam technically gives you, life is never going to let me spend more that 2 days actually making a jam game... ;D

That said, I got a lot in and managed to create my own art, music, SFX, and visual effects all in that shortened timeframe.

Here's mine: https://itch.io/jam/vimjam/rate/769333

Submitted (1 edit)

Yeah same thing for me. One thing I would suggest is making the game downloadable and playable in the browser. This way more people play and you can share it with friends easier.

Submitted

You are absolutely right, I keep trying to get that to work. I don't know why, but Itch.io just don't seem to like any of my Godot html stuff...or maybe they just don't like me! (*laugh*)

Submitted

I think it's better to export the project into several files and then create a zip file from those outside Godot. Godot's generated zip files are a bit weird. I also found that zip was really inconvenient when exporting my game for Linux, but now I've figured out how to work around that so that I won't need to make the installation instructions too complex.

Submitted

Thank you for helping! I've tried both ways (I'm glad to know it isn't just me having problems with the auto-generated zip files). Both ways haven't worked for me yet, but I'm very happy to at least know which way is best. I wonder if my browser is part of the problem, next time I'll try uploading an HTML game using a different browser.

Thank you, again!

Submitted

I think I had to export several times to get something that would work when uploaded (and maybe I could check the names of the files it generates, but running the HTML5 version from a file on a computer doesn't seem to work, even if that same web version will work fine when uploaded on itch.io. Fortunately I uploaded the HTML5 version like an hour before the deadline, so I could just regenerate and retry for every time it didn't work. I'm feeling maybe the Windows and Linux builds of my game that I uploaded don't work though. Maybe I should have tested those before uploading.

You're welcome!

Submitted

Yeah, I just downloaded your windows file to test it. It appears to have all your project files, but no ".exe" and it has a "project.binary" instead of a "project.godot" file. Hmm...maybe this is the contents of the usual PCK export file without an EXE? *shrug*

Thankfully, you got a web-browser version up so everyone can play! And thanks for the wonderful advice! =)

Submitted

Wow, I learnt a lot, from how to work efficiently with friends(and using  git) to stuff in unity like tile maps and how to solve a lot of problem and bugs right☺

Dying For Treasure

Submitted(+1)

Learning how to work efficiently with a team is SO important! Great job! =)