SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

FAQ ( Frequently Asked Questions) Sticky

A topic by Lee Reilly created Oct 01, 2021 Views: 8,547 Replies: 88
Viewing posts 1 to 42
Jam Host(+1)

Hi there!

In no particular order, here are answers to some frequently asked questions. Please let me know if anything's unclear or you have more questions and I'll keep this updated.

Can we use Unity or Unreal Engine?

Yes!

Can we use pre-made assets?

Absolutely, although many people will create their own. I'd recommend adding some attribution in your GitHub repository's README.

> Can we use pre-made code?

The use of game engines, libraries, templates for new games, etc. is fine. In fact, it's highly encouraged! Taking a game you've been working on for months, or forking a game and changing some pixels is probably not in the spirit of the jam :)

> Can we sell the games (for the jam or post jam)?

Absolutely!

> Is there a twitter hashtag?

The official hashtag is #GitHubGameOff. We 💜 seeing work-in-progress screenshots throughout the month! <3

> Are games allowed if they contain 18+ content?

No restrictions on content, but if it's something I wouldn't show my kids or grandparents... then it may be less likely that it'll appear on our blog 😎 Please also see itch.io's note on adult content.

> What are the voting categories?

Similar to last year, games will be rated on the following: Overall, Gameplay, Graphics, Audio, Innovation and Theme Interpretation.

> What kinds of licenses are required/accepted for the public GitHub repo?

You're welcome to use whatever kind of license you wish! See this documentation for tips on choosing / applying a license.

> Can I edit the game after the submission period?

Please don't change the game on the itch.io page until after the voting period ends. If there's a bug that seriously affects/prevents playability that's a "quick fix", please feel free to address it. Just leave a note on the itch.io page saying what you changed and why. Since the code is not being judged, you can update the GitHub repository any time.

(+2)(-3)

are we obliged to post something on github? cause Im 20 minutes in and I still don't get how that thing works. and also about the coding, I'm using Construct 2 I don't think I can ctrl C+V that to github.

Jam Host (1 edit) (+3)

Hi there - yeah one of the requirements is to share the source code and assets in a GitHub repository. A lot of people leave that step to the very end though, which is completely fine. Watch the jam page for some great resources / tutorials on getting started with your first Git / GitHub repo.

Cheers,
  Lee

whats the max number of people in one team?

Jam Host

Hi - there is no minimum or maximum team size.

Do we need to make source of the game  developed during jam as open-source ?

Jam Host

Hi there ,

One of the requirements is to submit the source code to a GitHub repo so it's viewable, but it doesn't have to have an open source license. If it's helpful, here's a snippet from GitHub's Documentation

You're under no obligation to choose a license. However, without a license, the default copyright laws apply, meaning that you retain all rights to your source code and no one may reproduce, distribute, or create derivative works from your work.

I am not a lawyer, but I always recommend adding a license - open source or otherwise :)

Cheers,
  Lee

Thanks for clearing it up

So only assets and source files need to be shared? No custom file formats the engine uses?

Jam Host

Hi there,

Source code, assets and anything needed to build the game is ideal. Omitting anything proprietary that you're unable to share of course.

Cheers,
  Lee

hi how will I share my code if i use a drag and drop system?

Jam Host(+1)

Hi 4cpz - what are you using exactly? If nothing else, you should be able to save/export something that somebody else can take and load/play?

(-1)

Oh my god I'm so fed up with GitHub.  I literally can't figure it out

(+1)

Try using GitHub Desktop, it helped me with getting my source code on GitHub. What you can do is take your project repository and make a copy of it, then navigate into this copy from the command line. Then (assuming you have Git installed) type 'git init' to initialize your copy for Git. From here you can go back to GitHub Desktop and upload you Git enabled copy to it, make a commit and upload it to GitHub.

what is the theme of the jam ?

please tell what is the theme of the jam ?

You’ll learn what the theme is, with the rest of us, on November 1st

Ok thank you for replying

you will have to wait

bug

Submitted

do we have to follow the theme of the jam, or can we still submit a game with absolutely no relevance to the theme?

Jam Host

You should definitely try to incorporate the theme to be in the "spirit" of the jam.

leak??????

Are we supposed to start on November 1st or are we allowed to begin earlier?

Jam Host

Hi - you should wait until the theme is announced before you start building the game.

Hi! I was wondering: can someone be part of two different teams?

Jam Host

Hi there - of course!

Thanks

(2 edits)

Hi! I haven't tried much coding or game-making before, and I am a student so I don't know how much time I have after school in the next month. But I am interested in the process to make a game during Jam, and I think the theme might help with my development — am I able to join the Jam if I am not sure whether I can hand in a runnable game on time? Thx!

Of course you can join! No one's going to force you to submit anything if you do so don't worry

Okay thank uuuuu!

No problem, good luck!

Hey there. I am a game creator, concept generator and am starting a game development startup. I would like to invite or join a team of developers for the jam. I would be assisting in the conceptualization, design planning, story-line etc, in non-technical development. I have a few new game ideas that hopefully might go with the theme. How can I form a team with developers in this jam? Thanks  

Is there an age limit?

Jam Host

Hi there - you'll just need to be 13 years or older to have a GitHub account, and at least 18 to publish on itch.io per GitHub's TOS and itch.io's TOS

Ps. You have to either be 18 or have legal parental or guardian consent!

Deleted 2 years ago
Deleted 309 days ago
Jam Host (1 edit)

That would be ideal, but not necessary (not all teammates/contributors will make commits). You can add additional authors on the game page on itch.io once you create it. And you can add a credits section on your game page / repository README too. Whatever your preference is :)

Cheers,
  Lee

(1 edit)

Can we use blueprints in Unreal Engine? I don't know how to use C++ or C#.

Jam Host

Absolutely!

Are there any prizes?

(4 edits)

Hi everyone! This will be my first GameJam, can anyone explain me what do I do after making my game? For example: What do I put in GitHub? Do I put my finished game on itch.io? How do I share it here?

Submitted

Hi! After you make your game (or while you make your game; it doesn't matter), make a new repository on Github. To do this, just sign in or make an account if you don't already have one, then click the green "New" button (near the top left), and create your repository. Once you have that set up, add your project's source code / assets / files to the repository. You can continuously update this during the Game Jam, or just add everything at the end once it's done. Adding files can be done through the drag-and-drop feature on Github, with the command-line tools, or with Github Desktop (I recommend this option, here's a link: https://desktop.github.com/). After you've finished all that, it's time to make a new project on Itch. At the top of the screen, click "Dashboard", then "Create a new project", and configure it there. I would recommend adding your repository link to the description of the Itch page, as well as other developers involved, 3rd-party code / assets used, etc. That should be all, have fun developing!

Submitted

Hello, Asking a few questions to help me get started in my first game jam.

I'm using Unity, so creating a github repo with the root project directory would be fine, right?

Now, on the create new project page on itch.io, I have a field called Project URL, where  I guess, the github repo URL is to be pasted...

Windows Build of the Game should be uploaded to the releases page of Github repo (and linked of course in the itch.io project description), right?

I also see a section called Uploads on the itch.io new project page, what should I do there, upload the build there too or leave it empty (if allowed). There is also a link there saying Add External File: You provide a link to the file and we'll keep track of how many times it's been downloaded. Should I paste the link of the .exe file on the github releases page??

Second thing, top of the create new project page says: You don't have payment configured If you set a minimum price above 0 no one wIill be able to download your project. Is configuring payments necessary?

Thanks and good luck.

Submitted

Hi is the topic of the game off already announced?

Yes. Its called BUG.

can we use a game engine to make our game ?

Submitted

yes you can

hola tengo una duda yo no tengo bastos conocimientos en la programacion pero me gustaria participar y mi duda es puedo usar una aplicacion que no requiera programar?

(1 edit)

Absolutely. Absolutamente.

(1 edit)

I have a few ideas that I came up with years ago which would fit the theme well, but which I never actually did any development/prototyping around -- I never even wrote them down. Would it be okay to try and use them in my submission (assuming I make one)?

Jam Host (1 edit)

Of course! :)

(1 edit)

Is it allowed to make a game for this and another game jam at the same time, when it meets the spirit and rules of both game jams?

Jam Host

Absolutely! Just confirm with the other jams that they're OK with that.

Hi, am I allowed to broadcast the development of my submission (on Twitch or YouTube)?

Jam Host (1 edit)

Absolutely and please do! We have lots of folks streaming development every year.

Fig 1: me watching folks build their Game Off games.

Is it ok to start late since November 1st already past?

Jam Host (1 edit)

Of course! Never too late to join the Game Off :)

Can I use clickteam fusion as my game engine of choice

Jam Host

Yes :)

Submitted

Are gdevelop source codes allowed?

Jam Host

Yes :)

Can I develop the game in  VR?

Jam Host

Hi there - yes you can! That might limit the number of people that get to play/judge it though.

Can i work on two teams?

Jam Host

Absolutely.

Deleted post
Submitted

Hello i was wondering are we allow to use this A* Pathfinding Project for our project?

Jam Host

Hi - I think that's fair game. I would just note that as a dependency / requirement on the GitHub / itch.io page.

Submitted

Hi, is it fine to use a private repo when working on the game, and create the public repo with code/assets I am able to share after I finish the game?  Thank you!

Jam Host(+1)

Hi - that's perfectly fine.

Submitted

Hello, Asking a few questions to help me get started in my first game jam.

I'm using Unity, so creating a github repo with the root project directory would be fine, right?

Now, on the create new project page on itch.io, I have a field called Project URL, where  I guess, the github repo URL is to be pasted...

Windows Build of the Game should be uploaded to the releases page of Github repo (and linked of course in the itch.io project description), right?

I also see a section called Uploads on the itch.io new project page, what should I do there, upload the build there too or leave it empty (if allowed). There is also a link there saying Add External File: You provide a link to the file and we'll keep track of how many times it's been downloaded. Should I paste the link of the .exe file on the github releases page??

Second thing, top of the create new project page says: You don't have payment configured If you set a minimum price above 0 no one wIill be able to download your project. Is configuring payments necessary?

Thanks and good luck.

Jam Host

Correct

> Windows Build of the Game should be uploaded to the releases page of Github repo (and linked of course in the itch.io project description), right?

The release(s) should definitely be uploaded to itch.io. No need to cut a release on the GitHub repo itself, but I think that's a good idea 👍🏻

> I also see a section called Uploads on the itch.io new project page, what should I do there, upload the build there too or leave it empty (if allowed). 

That's where you'll attach the game executables / downloads. This game is a good example: https://zaphyk.itch.io/neon-skylines.

Nope - not necessary.

hi, can you remove the game 'spider boi' off the thingo... it wont open the itch page at all. So i have created a new page to submit. Please

Submitted

Can I submit 2 games?

Jam Host

Absolutely! :)

Submitted (2 edits)

Hello there,

Is it possible to submit our game and continue working and submitting new versions before the deadline?

Thanks

Jam Host

Hi there - that's perfectly fine. 

Submitted

I just wanted to know that is it necessary to upload the code on GitHub repo?

As my code isn't clean enough, so is it still necessary?

Jam Host

Hi there - yeah, that's one of the requirements for a valid entry. Nobody's judging your code quality so don't worry about that :)

Submitted

Are we allowed to update the game page information /  upload a web version after submission or is this not allowed? my web gl  export is playing up

Jam Host

That's fine - I'd recommend just making a note of it on the game page.

Submitted (1 edit)

Hello! Can I push a bug fix for a bug I just introduced before the submission? I changed a layer, and now I cant shoot past it which breaks the game? I have the fix done and pushed a special commit to my github with a label for submitting after the deadline. If I make note in my submission page, can I push it?

Jam Host

That sounds fair 👍🏻

Submitted

Sweet! Thanks dude!

Submitted

Hello there!

We’ve just got the application we’ve made for the jam approved on the Apple Store.

Is it possible to update the page description to add the link?

Jam Host

Oh nice! Yeah, you can update the game description anytime 👍🏻

Submitted

Awesome, I just did, thank you!

It’s also currently in review in the Play Store, but I’ll add the link if it gets accepted!

Submitted

Can we add new platform version of the game after the submission period or there are aftermath/penality?

Submitted

Sure, you can new builds or version updates after submission too. I uploaded webGL build and windows build version updates recently.