Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Cryptid Appreciation Thread

A topic by michelledoes created Jul 05, 2019 Views: 937 Replies: 30
Viewing posts 1 to 19
(+1)

I know the jam is a little ways away, but let's kick things off with some wholesome cryptid appreciation. Who knows, maybe you'll discover the inspiration for your game!

I'm personally partial to Mothman, the Jersey Devil, and Thylacine, but there's so many great ones.

(+2)

One that holds onto my heart the most is the goatman, since it give me a "grouchy old man" vibe.

(+2)

i love a lot of cryptids but my favorite...... are the fresno nightcrawlers......

(+1)

Ooo I had not heard of that one before, it looks very creepy and great!

(+2)

I like batsquatch, mothman, yeti, and chupacabra.

(+2)

Agree with telepathic-melon, Fresno nightcrawlers!!! >.> All i got to say....

(+6)

i Love snake. snake is not a normal creature but in fact very special. snake can slide around and walk places despite having zero (0) leg or even feet. snake is able to hiss seductively. snake can be dangerous but also pet. Sanek is simply an amazing creature really,

Host

EXTREMELY TRUE AND IMPORTANT

(+3)

thank you for believing in snek

Host

Always believe in snake

Host(+3)

This is such a great idea for a thread. I agree with everybody's excellent taste in cryptids here, and I'll add that I think pretty much all sea monsters are the coolest. The Tatzelwurm and the Mongolian death worm/olgoi-khorkhoi also rule.

(+2)

I'm also partial to Mothman. I mean, how cool is that. I want to believe so bad. Also the Blair Witch. There must be some kernal of truth in that legend.

Ahh yes the Blair Witch! I want to believe because that story still scares me!

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

I just found about the Fresno nightcrawlers thanks to yall and honestly for some reason the way they are depicted is somewhat funny to me, I love them now, thank you.

(+1)

As a physicist, I love little creatures physicists dreamt about. The most famous cryptid award goes to Schrodinger's cat. But there are many more interesting mythical creatures dreamt about: Maxwell's demon, Majorana fermion, Dirac's magnetic monopole. I imagine if would be fun to make a Pokemon style games to catch 'em all! But you need to know enough physics to catch them effectively!

(1 edit)

I was thinking of a monster hunter type game but that would be way to difficult for me :)

That would be cool. Perhaps you can make a 2D version fo monster hunter with cryptids ?It's probably easier than 3D.

That was my idea(I don't know 3d) but I would need to make tons of bosses, make a decent ai for normal enemies, make a story and I can't do that

Sounds like a good challenge for a 1-month jam :) After GBJAM, I am quite fed up with RPG. Maybe I should work on a 2D platformer. All good jam games seem to be platformers and I have never made one before.  

(+2)

I am very Inspired by the sea monsters for some reason, I just don't know how I would use them...

(+2)

I like Cryptids, Folklores, etc.  in general but some that comes to my mind recently are Le Loyon, the Fresno Nightcrawlers, Rods/Skyfishes, and Hasshaku-sama.

(+2)

Definitely la chupacabra and the sasquatch! I also have a healthy fear/appreciation for aquatic cryptids like Nessie or sea serpents, but I'm deathly afraid of giant unknown creatures lurking in the depths...

(+3)

Yooo, I love cryptids of all shapes & sizes, but I gotta be honest, the KRAKEN is by far the one that I keep thinking about the most. Just imagine, a giant fucking squid / sea-creature, just hanging out at the bottom of the ocean, all spongebob-like, waiting for tasty ships to sail across his reach (which is fucking long, btw!)

(+1)

I'm a big fan of The Last Podcast on the Left podcast and it will definitely inspire my gamejam game if I can get my friend to join up with me. If you wanna get inspired I would definitely check out their website and look for the cryptid section (they do aliens, serial killers, etc. as well)

Submitted

Last Podcast got me into so many cryptids! (Though I will also say to potential listeners: content warning for some less than sensitive humour a lot of the time, much as I love them) I also really enjoy Go Folk Yourself, where they look at the weirdest legends they can find from each state in America, which often involves cryptids.

(+1)

I'm so glad that so many people contributed to this thread! Can't believe the jam is almost upon us, happy jamming to you all :)

(+2)

I will never stop loving  the beast of gevaudan because it's my region only cryptid !! it's either a werewolf/cursed beast~ but now i know many other cryptids thanks to this thread :D

Submitted

Oooh, I love that legend! Brotherhood of the Wolf is one of my guilty pleasure films, but I also read a lot about the Beast of Gevaudan when studying the wider legends attached to Little Red Riding Hood.

Submitted(+1)

Hello guys!

My team and I are using mexican folklore legends as the base of our game. We decided to create an adventure/action game so it might not be horror oriented but we think it will be fun! I'm willing to play your games! Almost three weeks left and we are currently in alpha stage, hope we get the full release by then :P

Submitted(+1)

This is a great idea for a thread! I love the Jersey Devil, the Jackalope (and its relative, the Wolpertinger) and the Beast of Bodmin Moor.

Submitted

My game features a Jackalope :D

Please give it a try~

https://neatgames.itch.io/jackalope