Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

FAQ Sticky

A topic by phillip created Jan 05, 2024 Views: 1,842 Replies: 55
Viewing posts 1 to 27
Host (4 edits)

If you have any questions about the rules of the jam that are not answered below feel free to ask them in this thread and I will get back to you as soon as I can!

When can I start working on my game?

Your game, including all assets outside of the resource page, should be made within the jam’s duration.

Does my game have to run on a real Nokia 3310?

Nope! We're just using the restrictions as a design space.

Can I make my own engine?

Yes! Many participants have done this. Feel free to make the framework before the jam begins. Just make sure it doesn’t put you ahead of other people using pre-made engines.

How do I make my game as accurate as possible to the Nokia 3310?

None of the following is necessary to submit a game and it won’t improve your score. This is for those who want to go the extra mile. Game fps should be 15. Ensure you are not using more "modern technology" like physics engines, 3d graphics, etc. The simpler the better. You could simulate the LCD's ghosting. The Nokia 3310’s screen also did not use perfectly square pixels. Each pixel was likely a 3:4 / 7:9 ratio.

The Nokia 3310 was incapable of sub-pixel movement and sub-pixel scrolling so it is NOT allowed. This means all pixels must be perfectly aligned with the pixel grid. There should be no half-pixels even while moving. The ultimate challenge would be to get your game running on a real Nokia 3310!

Only 12 controls are allowed but the Nokia 3310 has 16 buttons.

The jam excludes the 4 menu buttons as they were usually used to navigate menu's and not play the actual game.

Can I mix and match the three color palettes? 

No. You should be selecting one option and making your whole game with your selection. Palette swapping is allowed if it is an option/setting and not part of gameplay.

Vanaf welke lijftijd kan je meedoen aan de jam?

Host(-1)
elke leeftijd (google translate)
Submitted

do all of the members of 1 team need to click the join button

Host

Only the person who submits the game needs to join

In the game, should you just try to use a Nokia or can you have another Nokia-based theme?

Host

Can you clarify what you're asking?

is nsfw game is allowed ?

Host

It must be very clearly marked as NSFW in the title and description and please have the game thumbnail be SFW.

Submitted

I was thinking of switching the palettes around to match the mood of the game as it goes along. I.e. Using "Harsh" when angry/hostile, "Original" when Neutral, "Grey" when sad. Is this not allowed?

Host

Palette switching is allowed as long as its not actually part of the gameplay as the phone would've been incapable of doing so. If its a setting that a player can choose between that is okay. In your case that wouldn't be allowed.

Submitted

Hello! This is my first game jam, so I am confused about a lot of stuff, and I am using gamemaker. Can I make my room size 840 by 480 and my sprites 80 by 80 pixels so that is is bigger? Basically what I am asking is if I am allowed to make my sprites and room sizes bigger than 8 by 8 and 84 by 48 respectively to 80 by 80 and 840 by 480, but all the sprites can be divisible into 48 by 84. The reason I am asking is because I tried upscaling my game but when I launched it it was all fuzzy.

(1 edit)

I am not familiar with GameMaker, but it looks like you don't need to use scaled up sprites. You could just set specific option and your pixel art will be pixel perfect! You need just to "disable interpolation between pixels in the Project Settings in Graphics tab".

Source: https://forum.gamemaker.io/index.php?threads/blurry-pixel-art-when-setting-viewp...

Host

Hi wiki! Sorry I didn't see this when you posted it, glad you got it figured out. If you need more help feel free to join our discord! We have a dedicated help text channel that you could hit up whenever you have questions. https://discord.gg/8UpRhUB

For the music, can there be chords/multiple bleeps at the same time (polyphony)? I am using the soundfont from the resources page and I want to create a track with chords and lower and high notes playing at the same time but don't know if that was possible on a Nokia and/or if it's a rule on the jam as I couldn't see it specified anywhere.

Host (1 edit)

no, sound is monophonic only. One sound played at a time.

Can I make multiple submissions? I have two kinda opposite ideas. One would be easy to make and if I can finish it in timely matter, I would like to try another one

Host

Yes, you may have multiple submissions

within the given sound assets is a .flp containing a 3xOsc Nokia preset. are we allowed to use the arpeggiator and the pitch bend within the 3xOsc preset, granted that 3xOsc is set to monophonic mode?

Host

Arpeggiator would be fine as long as its one sound played at a time. I would avoid the pitch bend as I don't think the Nokia was capable of that. But as long as your sound is in line with the original phone you'll be fine.

Playdate console specific questions:

The playdate uses a black and white display, the colors are rendered in simulator are close to the grey palette. Is that acceptable?

Playdate screen is 400x240, 84x48 can scale up by 5x to fit though it becomes 80x48. Can do 4x scale with padding otherwise.

Host(+1)

Yes, I will allow this for Playdate only. You can do either scale, if you want to work within less resolution, you can.

Thanks!

Submitted

The game resolution is 84x48 but can the camera move so long as what’s on screen remains the required resolution?

example: a room that’s 1920x1080 but the player can only ever see 84x48 pixels at any given moment. 

Host

This is correct

Can we make multiplayer games?

Can we get an answer to this, please?

Host(+1)

Yes!

Submitted

For gamemaker devs, can we use the sample project provided on github?

Host

yep! That's what its there for

Submitted

Is it ok for my game to have a resolution of 1890x1080 while ensuring that all assets and visual elements are designed to maintain the appearance of an 84x48 pixel resolution? Like the final game results still looks like a 84px *48px game.

Host

Yes, scaling up is recommended so your game is actually playable on modern screen. But the base resolution should be 84x48px

New to the jam so sorry if this is a dumb question. It looks like the Nokia has a screen size of 320x240 but the game should be 84x48? I'm kinda confused on the size part

Host(+2)

That is the dimensions of the 2017 re-release of the 3310. This is the phone from the 2000s

I know this sound weird but could can we makes games in 3d?

Host

yes

Submitted

Does alternative key mappings count towards the twelve control limit? If e.g. my game supports movement both through arrow keys and WASD, but these are functionally exactly the same controls, does that count as four controls or eight controls?

Host

No it doesn't

Submitted

Can my game include sound that is not produced by nokia?

Host

no

Submitted

Would it be frowned upon to have a manual built in to the game in a way that it would simulate having a manual in real life? So the game would be played and displayed in its 84x48 resolution with all of the jams limitations, but to the side there is a manual you can flip through.

Host

you can do that just as long as the game itself follows all the limitations

Hi! The rules mentioned you could have a Nokia 3310 frame surrounding the (simulated) 84x48 screen, does this mean a texture of the actual physical frame or something else? And would a black border be acceptable (just to fill out the small gap from the different aspect ratio in fullscreen)?

Host

Could be the texture or black bars to fill in the gaps! Sorry for getting back to you so late!

Submitted

am I allowed to make pixels transparent?

Host

Only if you are simulating lcd ghosting, if you are using it for shading you are violating the color rule. Sorry for getting back to you late!

Submitted

what is avrage playtime of the nokia game jam games?

Host

It can be any amount of time!

Submitted

The submission period hasn't ended yet, so it's okay to make small changes during this time, right?

Host

Yes! Submissions will only be locked after the dev period ends.

Submitted

Are PS4/XBOX/etc controls allowed, or onkey kerboard controls?
Also, if we use GODOT 4.2 STARTER PROJECT by @eptwalabha, can we use the effects included in the project? (pixel shadow, pixel grain, door effect)

Host

Yes you could have those control mappings. Different mappings doesn't count towards the control rule. I am not familiar with GODOT but as long as those effects are within the restrictions of the jam, then yes.

Submitted

Hi! I´ve submitted my game, here it is: Little Thomas saves the World by Danton19 for NOKIA 3310 JAM 6 - itch.io
It says that is part of this Jam, but I'm not seeing it on the Submissions list. Am I missing something?

Host

Looks like you've successfully submitted!

Submitted

Hi :) Thank you for organising this awesome jam!

Is it okay to fix some bugs after the submission deadline? For example clicking inside the game causes some weird behaviour atm. but it is still playable.

Host

No, you'll have to wait until after the rating period is over.