Tags

[devlog] Cloud Mage

A topic by Queenie created Jan 02, 2016 Views: 3,869 Replies: 68
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 41 · Next page · Last page
Submitted (2 edits) (+4)

Working in Ren'Py

Play it here!

Overview

Cloud Mage is a visual novel about a young mage and her familiar. She does weather spells for a living and you play as her as she creates spells for her clients in the form of weather sprites.

When you get a client, your goal is to select the correct ingredients to create the correct spell. The game keeps going if you fail. After all, your life's not at risk here and you can learn something, even from a failure. The overall mood of the game will be pretty casual and easy-going.

Assets

I'm planning on drawing all the art myself. As for music, I've been looking through CC-licensed music and I've bookmarked stuff I'm interested in using, mostly stuff that I think will fit the mood of certain sections.

Characters

The game's fairly light on plot, but here's a list of characters I plan on having.

Cloud Mage || Familiar || Gryphon Gunner || Cat Thief || Plant Tamer || Merserker

I pulled most of these characters out of a small WIP illustration project I'm working on involving RPG classes. I haven't come up with designs for that project yet, so I figured I could hammer some of those out while doing this game.

Gameplay

Most of the game is just reading the story. When it comes time for you to do your spell, you're taken to a series of menus where you select one ingredient from each category to combine them into a cloud sprite. Depending on whether the spell is successful or not, you get different dialogue from the parties involved. I took this code for an encyclopaedia/bestiary and edited it to make a journal that gives a short description of available ingredients and characters that you've met.

I'm pretty proud of myself for getting it to work the exact way I wanted it to. (I used the tried and true method of fiddling with every line of code until I got to the one I wanted :P) After it's unlocked, the journal can be accessed at any time and it gives you short descriptions that include hints about which ingredients are correct for which spell. It's like a puzzle element.

Branching is minimal as any number of different successes/failures will ultimately lead you to the same ending. (OR!! maybe it will lead you to the super secret ending??)

I'm juggling some other work and projects during the jam, but I love visual novels and I love text-based puzzle games (some of my faves are stuff like the Ace Attorney series and Zero Escape series), so I'm here to get my lil' game done, and get it done right!

(I'm also here to check out everyone else's games <3)

Submitted (11 edits)

TO-DO:

Character Art:

Concepts (6/6)
Roughs (6/6)
Finals (2/6)

Encyclopaedia Art:

Concepts (14/14)
Roughs (14/14)
Finals (5/14)

Background Art:

Roughs (5/5)
Finals (0/5)

Script and Dialogue:

Outline (100%)
Draft (100%)
Revisions (50%)
**BONUS Day 5 (0%)
**BONUS Super secret ending (0%)

Coding:

Encyclopaedia (100%, to be tested after the game's finished)
Show and scene statements
Styling Dialogue
Character expressions
Revamped ingredient menus

this looks really fun omg, cant wait to see more

Submitted

Thanks, I'm excited to get get started :D

Jam HostSubmitted

oh, wow! i love the edited encyclopedia!! honestly, that sounds like a fun mechanic to mess with... i'd love to try it out sometime...

Submitted(+1)

It was, after I figured it out :P The encyclopaedia already has code for sorting by subject (which is what I have in my screenshot), the trickiest part was just figuring out how to get it to default to that sorting mode, since I didn't want the other sorting modes for my game. I'm sure there's a lot of creative stuff that can be done with it!

HostSubmitted

whoa this is a pretty cool mechanic i'm really about it! it actually reminds me a bit of a bartending vn i played before, where selecting certain ingredients gets different reactions out of your customers. it's a very cool way to interact in a vn i think! i can't wait to see how this develops :0c

Submitted

Thanks so much! I've played the valhalla demo, I preordered the full game ;D It was so long ago, I forgot about it until you brought it up, actually! Must be some subconscious inspiration haha

haha ive been looking for that game for a long time, i played it once and forgot the name. im looking forward to your game op! really fun and comfy sounding mechanic

Submitted

Thanks so much! I want to make this game light-hearted, so I'm glad it's giving off a comfy impression :>

Submitted(+4)

Quick, rough concept for the cloud mage. She's wearing a big ol' knit poncho that's open at the sides for her arms, but when her arms are at her sides they don't show.

Testing character images and seeing what size works well for a 800x600 window. Background is a placeholder. This is the draft for the cloud mage, will finish it up later. Sure is fun talking to yourself :P

Aaaaand testing out inserting images into the encyclopaedia!

Going to try and get more roughs done, and then work some more on the script and dialogue. From what I can tell right now, the writing parts will be more of a challenge for me.

Submitted

she is beautiful

i had a pussy willow tree at my childhood home...i love your whimsical version so much!

Submitted

Thank you! My aunt used to have some in her home. When I was younger I loved to touch it because it was so soft, but because I was eight and destructive I had the tendency to tear it up :P

Jam HostSubmitted

i love this character design!!! also i'm crying, pussy willow... it's so cute...

Submitted(+1)

Cries with you.... I love silly visual puns

(+1)

Aaa such a cute design, I really like the idea of this game!

This is so cute and I love games in general that are just about being a mage and doing your job and learning and growing! I know that so far the system is going to include success and failures, but is there any chance of an accident :P Like you try to make one thing and end up with another. A different kind of learning from a failure!

This game has a lot of personality so far! I just want to hug the cloud mage, she looks cute and fluffy like a cloud! The flavor text is really cute iand it just makes the whole thing really endearing!

Submitted

Hmm no, I don't think I'll put in accidents, I wanna keep it straightforward. It'd be cool in a bigger game, though!

And thank you! Knit clothes always look so comfy, I knew I wanted 'em on my cloud mage from the start ;D

Submitted

Oh my gosh! Your art style is so so cute and I kinda want to snuggle your cloud mage bc she looks so soft. I love the art and entry for pussy willow but I don't know how I'd feel about using cats in a spell! Still though, it adds a lot to the mood and makes me want to read more entries. I'm looking forward to seeing your updates!

Submitted(+1)

Thanks! Pray for these tiny cats.... They do get used up in spells unfortunately umu

Submitted

this concept is so charming and i love your artwork!! your lines are so bold and expressive omg, i love how effortlessly you conveyed the texture of the knit. also oh man that encyclopedia mechanic is wonderful * u* thank you for linking to the post -- fy renpy is a good place to find some really great codes, and i love stumbling on new and interesting things to mess around with!

Submitted

Pfffft, I really admire people who can do expressive linework, so being told my lineart is expressive is really flattering, thank you ;w; I'm enjoying digging around in all the resources people have made available, for sure!

Submitted(+1)

this looks great! :> the art is amazing

Submitted(+2)

Today was a writing/programming day, and lemme tell you, I haven't written so much since my fanfiction days. I forgot how much work it was haha...

Anyway! I finished the outline for day 1 (out of 5 or 6 days) and finished a draft script most of it. I got most of it to work. One feature I'm playing around with is the idea of asking your familiar for help, like a hint system.

Your familiar remembers which ingredients, if any, you've already used, and lets you know what keywords are relevant to your next ingredient.

After you've gotten your hint, the option disappears from the menu. I'm not sure if that's necessary, but I like playing around with the idea of menu choices that disappear after you've used them.

I'll have to go back in later and do the code for showing character art and aaaaall the missing art assets, but I'll worry about that later when I'm not up to my neck in writing nonsense.

Speaking of nonsense, I played around with using a list and pulling an entry off it at random to use. It's really only something I'll be using for flavour text, but I wanted to try it anyway.

And of course, I can plug it into my WIP script.

I was using Renpy's 'var = renpy.random.choice()' but the function doesn't seem quite right for what I want. I wanted to be able to make a list of ridiculous shop names where a different name is used every time I call the variable, but it seems to lock onto a single name. I tried to go around that by using, 'var1 = renpy.random.choice()', 'var2 = renpy.random.choice()', etc, but then there's overlap in the list if var1 and var2 happen to choose the same name, which I also don't want. I guess I want to make it so that it 1) uses a different entry in the random string every time and 2) doesn't ever use the same entry twice. I don't know enough about python to use its random functions either X__X

It's pretty silly and nonessential though, so I won't be too sore if I can't get it to work, but it'd be nice.

I didn't work on any art assets today, but I put some more of my rough drawings into the game as placeholders. I'm hoping I might be able to make a small demo of Day 1 in the next several days, and see if I can get people to give me feedback on it!

Submitted(+1)

whoooaa! I adore the designs for the cloud mage! She's so poofy just like a cloud!

Submitted(+1)

this looks SO fun and whimsical aahhh
what a fun idea. i love the silly entries so much

HostSubmitted(+1)

AAAA i love your art and designs omg it's so fitting for this game!! also im yellin @ the pussy willow omggg

(+1)

omg i was cracking up at pussy willow.

but i really really love this game idea and the art youve made for it so far is so cute!! cute witch designs + interesting witch concepts + silly encyclopedia entries in games is what i live for

Submitted (1 edit) (+3)

I love how many devlogs there are now, I'm drowning in them, absolutely drowning in their abundance, and I love it.

Didn't get a lot done today, but I did come up with a design for the gryphon gunner, which is basically an unholy marriage of an aviator jumpsuit with cowboy riding chaps. Might tweak it some more?? I just now had the idea of her wearing an falconry glove on one arm and I'm mad I didn't think of that earlier!!!! Anyway.

RIP my Binding of Isaac screenshot placeholder.

And here's another encyclopaedia entry!

I'm pretty tired, but I might try and do more of the script outline. I really want to get the outline done so I can get to the juicy stuff.

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

Today was a typing day, phew. I'm just now realizing that doing a text-based game requires lots of that, apparently?? Anyway, today was roughing out some outlines, I spent my drawing time today on doing the colours for a postcard instead of art assets for this game. I'm going to try and get as much of the draft script/prelim coding done tomorrow as I can. Hopefully like..... all of it. But we'll see.

I am definitely noticing that two weeks isn't as long as I thought it was ;__; but!! The most important part will be to get all the writing and coding done. Art assets I can leave alone, at least for a while. If I have to leave placeholders in, I'm ok with that.

Aaaaaaand another encyclopaedia entry!

HostSubmitted

OH GOSH theres so much art since i last checked this thread!! it's such a treat to go through it all ;;o;; your art is so lovely and animated ;;o;; !!

also hehe yeah 2 weeks isn't that much actually, especially if you have other commitments, but w/ the amt of work you've got so far this looks p solid!!

Submitted(+1)

Thanks! I planned this a week in advance and I thought it'd be easily achievable within the timeframe especially since I had a solid idea of what I wanted to do, but it's actually not, and I regret not making it an even smaller game, so here I am sitting in a google doc filled with my own regrets OTL

On the other hand, I still feel pretty committed to this!! Gotta buckle up >:(

Submitted(+1)

Yo, I love your art!

Aww man, RIP Bind of Isaac placeholder. I was cracking up over the juxtaposition of your game versus the bloody background.

I'm loving the character and item designs! Just looking at them builds an image of what the aesthetic of your world might be! Especially the Cloud Mage.

I was going to suggest an idea for a solution for the random shop name problem, but I'm not familiar with python. You might try keeping a list of the random shop names you've used already and check against the new random shop name you're getting. But I think there might be a more elegant solution such as removing used random shop names from the function that's giving them, or something like that. That's more complicated I think though.

Keep great work flowing!

Submitted

RIP that time I popped an Ehwaz rune in front of the angel room LIKE AN IDIOT!! And thank you!

I was thinking I might just split up the list into smaller chunks, and then use different, smaller lists for each instance of a random shop name. I was looking into how to do random strings in python, but I can't really wrap my head around it @__@ like I said, it's nonessential so I'm willing to give up on it for now.

Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 41 · Next page · Last page