Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[devlog] Hydra's Mouth

A topic by Infel created Jan 02, 2016 Views: 2,818 Replies: 58
Viewing posts 13 to 32 of 33 · Next page · Previous page · First page · Last page
(2 edits) (+1)

In my quest to figure out why my scarf grapply doesn't display right (like... seriously it works on everything else ;__;) i've refined the grappling mechanic some more!! it plays a little smoother, and you get a double jump in the air after grappling! the double jump only refreshes if you touch ground afterward.

here's a low frame gif example... it doesnt show very well but it's there, i promise.

honestly, my goal now is to get the grappling to display properly so i can spend the rest of the jam making pretty assets and designing a world that will be fun to explore.

EDIT:

WAIT NO I DID IT

i fooled myself for 8 hours into thinking that i'd changed the origin image point for the grapple line, when i actually hadn't ;____;

Submitted(+1)

DUDE that grapply hook is so cool! congrats on makin' it work!

(+1)

JUSTICE FOR GRAPPLE-SCARF!!!!!

NOW I JUST GOTTA MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A SCARF!!

Submitted

this is looking SO good, i'm so excited for you !!! the sprite work is beautifullllll.

honestly, the grapply was the hardest thing to implement. B) if i can implement some dialogue and cutscenes, as well as like one instance of looting a powerup, i can dedicate all my time to level and sprite design.

so the sprite work will be even more beautiful!!! (thank you so much :'D)

HostSubmitted (1 edit)

whoa very cool! that grapply hook looked a little tricky to figure out--i always get a little messed up too on origin and pivot points sometimes theyre diff and sometimes theyre the same and then constraints sometimes and it's just so ??? anyway cool stuff i can't wait to see this even more fleshed out!!

(+1)

this grapply hook relies on construct 2's physics engine. i could not, for the life of me, get a non-physics based grapply to work. there arent actually any pivot points, though i'd love to have them. instead, when the 'hook' collides with a solid surface, the player character is forced toward the point the hook is at. the player doesnt have a lot of control while they're being pulled like this, which is why i added the ability to doublejump while in the air after grappling. i think it's creating some really fun gameplay elements, though. i just gotta get good at level design!! i'm trying pretty hard right now to design a level that really compliments this gameplay.

(1 edit) (+2)

day 3 i havent worked much, but i did some level design today!! here are some gifs of stuff :D

Submitted

that double grapple looks like it'll be fun to try

double grapple seems to be the limit, so i'll see if i can bring out its full potential!!

(+1)

day 4:

level design and layer shennanigans!! my layer shennaigans are /almost/ working. ive designed my level to where you are made to head up the left side and continue on to the right, which requires so layer funtimes to pass through blocks. there are a few kinks i need to work out.

a small preview of level stuff

i'd like my final goal for the day to be getting the layer nonsense to work. once i do, i'd like to implement dialogue and npcs. after that, all i have to do if finish designing the level and i can commit my time to visual assets.

HostSubmitted(+1)

yesss layers are pretty helpful for dialogue + gui stuff and they make a lot of sense actually! also wow your level design is looking really solid O: !!

thanks!! that's a relief to hear. i dont have enough experience in platforming level design to create something challenging, so i am just trying to make stuff that plays to my mechanics' strength.

(1 edit)

sort of update: i gamed for several hours since i have an obligation to an mmo guild :p

after much yelling @ construct 2, i got my layer shennanigans to work. honestly not sure how. but they did. woohoo!!
(they're a bit buggy, you want to avoid shimmying around inside the collission box for the objects that detect the layer switching)

(+1)

A title page sketch!?

I wonder why it's called Hydra's Mouth...

(+2)

literally spams updates

what's this?? is this??

HIDDEN CAVES???

Submitted

YO THAT"S THE COOLEST!!!

(+1)

AAAA this looks so cool

HostSubmitted(+1)

WHOA this hidden cave business is awesome!!

(+2)

insomnia... im still awake. i'll start counting this as day 5 anyway.

i made a face by accident

(+1)

It's... Almost smashing. (I'm so sorry. Also, I've been digging your game in secret sense day one! I hope you get some sleep~)

(1 edit)

holy shit it really is almost smashing

thank you so much!! it's really flaterring so many people are excited ;__;

(2 edits) (+3)

wheezes @ my insomnia my entire body hurts but i cant sleep, so i must game

i made the first npc!! theyre pewfies, created by my sister. :3c im gonna make a variety of them, this one is her self-insert!

and

i also totally revamped my title screen sketch from earlier!

i feel like ripe butts and my sleep schedule is hecked now

the level is almost complete!! not pictured: hidden caves!! ;o

once the level is complete, i will need to start testing cutscenes and dialogue, so im on track to spend all next week doing artistic assets!

Submitted (1 edit)

This is looking great! I'm gonna miss roller skatin' Helvetica when you add her walk cycle XD

Title screen done!! I will add buttons and stuff to it at a later date. It probably wont be a gif-compressed in the game either, since i will make it using sprites instead of putting the gif in.

HostSubmitted(+1)

this is such a sweet title screen dang good job!! it has a lot of movement and the subtle animation gives it some life too.

wandering npcs are a go!! once i implement dialogue, i free from having to add new mechanics.

Dialogue get!!

on to finishing my level design and then making assets :D

Viewing posts 13 to 32 of 33 · Next page · Previous page · First page · Last page