A topic by lysander created Jan 01, 2016 Views: 2,467 Replies: 50
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 40 · Next page · Last page
Jam HostSubmitted(+4)

What are your goals for this jam?

Here are mine:

• Write at least 1k every day for the script, if not more
  • Actually finish the game
  • Finish the game before the deadline
I want to hear what everyone else is shooting for!
Deleted 3 years ago
Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

Aw, not really! I just have a really bad habit of not finishing things I start, but game jams really help me out with that!

Awesome goals by the way! Hope they all work out, especially the last one!!

(+4)

My goals for the jam are to:

• Finish the game (on time if possible).
  • Create at least 3 different enemy types.
  • Add a simple boss fight.

I'm hoping that having access to more resources will allow me to complete these goals. Good luck to everyone!

(+5)

My goals for the jam are fairly simple, because I'm going into this with very minimal knowledge regarding game design.

• Learn, learn, learn. There's a lot to learn and I think this is a pretty good place to start!
  • Have a playable prototype by the end of the jam (preferably one that's fun to play).
  • Have fun. I know game design isn't all sugar and roses, but I'd rather try to have fun with it than not!

I've been having ideas for games since 2004 or so and never thought I'd get around to making them a reality. Here's to a good jam!

Submitted(+3)
Hey guys! I'm new to this thing. I only discovered Itchio like a week ago and I saw the Game Jam on Tumblr. So I decided to try it out.
  • My goal is write a Twine game and actually finish it.
  • I'm going to write every day, I guess like 500 words or at least finish the scene in my head.
  • Learn how to do Twine, make it look nice, but I also like simplicity.
  • Just to finally have fun with a project for once.
Submitted(+3)

My main goals:

• Actually finish the game!
  • Create a game where everything matters and there's no egregious fluffing -- I want to get all mise en scene in here and make sure that if/where there's flavortext, it's all meaningful and should be worth exploring.
  • Create a decent atmosphere and a final product that's somewhat polished; it won't be perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I want to give it my best shot!

In the interest of not totally dropping the ball, it's probably going to be a very short, experimental thing; I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. But I'm so excited about this jam and so grateful for the experience! Good luck, everyone!

Submitted(+4)

I want to

• finish a game for once
  • keep it small and simple
  • meet some friends.

Sounds like everyones first goal is to finish their game.

Why is it so hard to finish a game? For me, I think it's being a perfectionist about it. I don't want to do it unless it's good, and it's hard to make it good, so I lose interest.

Jam HostSubmitted

This is definitely true!! I think everyone wants to make ~the perfect game~ but that's a very, very hard thing to do... so everyone sets themselves up for disappointment and gets discouraged... so actually finishing a game is quite a feat for a lot of people, including myself!

Submitted(+2)

Hello! I am basically brand new to making games, and I'm very excited.

My goals:

• Figure out how to get what I imagine out of what RPG Maker provides
  • Have all of the game interactions (text/graphics) and a walkable environment at least with rough background art
  • Have a nice polished opening cutscene

If u can be of some help maybe ask because im fairly familliar with RPG maker engine and would be glad to help

sorry, I meant I can be of some help

Submitted

Thank you!! I'm doing a 24 hour comic right now but when I get home, if I have any questions, I can ask you! Do you use VX Ace?

I do in fact use vx Ace, but I mostly just started but i have basic knowledge and hopfully that can help you waith anything you need

Submitted

Ok something weird has happened. Suddenly when I playtest I can't walk anywhere, I can only spin. I took out the script I had just added, changed loops, and retiled my parallax, but nothing helped.

have you tried checking any events running on "autorun" or maybe even "parallel process" because those are the types of events that stop the player until the event stops

Submitted

Both of those events have worked before I am so confused.

Submitted(+3)

Hey, everyone! This is my first game jam, but I have high(ish) hopes for meeting my goals with it.

• Complete a game
  • Experiment with more things in RPG Maker VX Ace than what I'm used to
  • Improve pixel art skills
  • Have a ton of fun and not get discouraged!
I think my goals are kind of simple, but I hope to meet them. Good luck, everyone!
(1 edit) (+4)

Hey everyone! I'm no stranger to making games, but I sure am one to finishing them! It's not for lack of trying however. It turns out that one can love tinkering a little too much. I'm an engineer at heart; a long line of prototypes can attest to that.

Consequently I don't get the chance to hone my art/music-fu as often as I'd like. So here's the plan: take a relatively unambitious game idea (perhaps a clone of a classic or a straight-forward platformer) and give it a small twist, but focus mostly on music and art.

But the goal? To finish the game! And if I finish early, maaaybe then I'll get my tinker-fu on.

The best of luck to all of you and have fun!

Submitted(+3)

Hi! This is my first game so my goals are fairly simple and straightforward.

• Finish it and have a short, playable game out in two weeks
  • Learn basic coding in Ren'Py
  • Exercise some time management and planning skills, something I really want to work on
That's about it. Good luck, everyone ( •̀ •́ )
(+2)

Similar to most people, my main goal is to finish the game - and make sure it's working! I also want to work on time management, because I have other creative projects going on right now that I can't let slide.

Good luck these next couple weeks!

Submitted (1 edit) (+3)

Well, my goal is to make a game with, at the least, the features I want in it regardless of how much content I have. I've always loved the old style RPGs and text games, and remember spending way too long playing Legend of the Red Dragon on a BBS (remember when those were cool?), so for this jam my dream is to make something in that vein: a text-based RPG.

I am learning Python almost from scratch to do this because I couldn't find a utility to make the sort of game I described. I figure learning a programming language is a good investment of my time anyhow, and Python was highly recommended to learn by people I respect.

My goals in making the game are:

1. A combat system with a couple different techniques you can do (not just "you hit it. it hits back" forever).

2. A "hub town" - more generally, something the player plays with that doesn't involve to the combat system

3. A means to make your character stronger, such as a store to buy gear, or a way to enable a new combat move.

Of course I need to have at least something for a game, but I'm wanting to focus on the learning more than the finished product here: if I can manage to code in all those things, even if there's just 1 enemy, 2 choices in town, and 1 enhancement, I'll consider it a success. Of course, if I can add more on top of that, so much the better.

I'm not sure how tall of an order this is (or even if I'm undershooting), especially with my starting-from-zero position and learning Python as I go, but on the bright side I don't have to mess around with sprites or sounds or collision detection or anything like that...

(1 edit) (+2)

OOOOO Seeing all these goals is getting my blood pumping!!!! Here are my basis goals:

• Become acqainted with Gamemaker, till I feel comfortable using it and messing around with it.
  • Have a basic platforming system worked out, where jumping and movement feels natural.
  • Effectively implement the time travel mechanic in a way that also feels natural!
  • Make a mock level with a few basic puzzles.
  • Hash out general sense of visual style.
  • Meet some cool peeps B )
Submitted(+2)

I fully intend to meet all of my three goals.(I hope)

• Finish the game.
  • Make sure I have fun playing it.
  • Add a dog.
(+3)

i look forward to the dog

Submitted(+1)

I can only assume 'add a dog' is referring to your dev team.

(+2)
im really pumped to make this game + play everyone elses game!!!
my overall goals are
  • make nice looking pixel art
  • practice using game maker
  • finish the game (of course)

but just getting the whole thing working is my main goal right now

(+3)

For me, it's mostly about learning the basics and have at least some concepts to show at the end, so I'm slowly hacking away at my reservations for pursuing ideas. Very nervous and excited about it all and the community aspect of it!

Submitted(+4)

This is my first time joining a game jam. At first, I went solo, but then I remember one of my friend that loves drawing, want to become a game artist, but have no experience (as far as I know) making game assets. So I go with her.

Basically, my goal:

• Keeping my spirit up by finishing something
  • Sharpening my skill on Unity
  • Time management
  • Working with someone I've never worked with before
  • Train my sense of development scope vs time limit estimation
Really sorry if my English is confusing since it's not my native language and I need to train it more.

Happy New Year and Happy Game Jam. :D

Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 40 · Next page · Last page