Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DEVLOG] Date Night Diner

A topic by Mocadium created Feb 04, 2019 Views: 1,196 Replies: 43
Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 29Next pageLast page
Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Hello! My name is Mocadium, and my idea for a game is a time-management strategy game with a WIP title called "Date Night". PLEASE LET ME KNOW SOME COOL NAMES AND I MIGHT USE ONE OF THEM (Im not very good with names...).

• Engine: GameMaker: Studio 1.4
  • Art Program: Pyxel Edit
  • Music Program: Fl Studio

All assets (Artwork, Tilesets, Music etc.) are and will be my own (including the banners you see above)!

I started the jam slightly later than usual, so I spent the first day planning how to interpret the theme, and drawing some drafts as to what I want the game to look like! I did no coding or anything, havent even created the project on GM:Studio yet!

My game (so far) is based in the most popular date night restaurant in town! You play as the waiter, and have to make sure the night goes smoothly, and everyone who comes in goes out smiling! The customers will request things, and you need to make sure they get what they want, so they can impress their date!

Here is my first draft:

I can change the room around however I want, but thats the first concept!

My next goals are:

• More furniture
  • START THE PROJECT ON GM:STUDIO
  • Draw some people (ugh.)
  • Get some movement working

Let me know what you think so far

OOo this seems like a really cool idea! I love the overall aesthetic so far! Good luck!

Submitted

Thank you so much, glad you like it! 

Love the colours, it looks very romantic! The furniture also looks very nice! Great start!!! 

Submitted

Thank you!! 

!!! this is cute as heck

Submitted

Thank you! 

Host

wow this art is so beautiful!! and i really like seeing unique design takes on third party/matchmaker-esque games where you're only indirectly involved with couples. looking forward to seeing more of this!!

Submitted(+1)

Thank you so much, knowing that people want the game is very motivational! 

This sounds really cool and the graphics look great! I have an idea for a potential name, "Match Maker Waiter"

Submitted

Thank you! And that is such a great name!! That's amazing! 

Submitted(+1)

Before I start coding it all, I just wanted to do an update on the most important bit of art, people! Im not an artist, and I hate drawing people more than anything else, but I've made a template that all the people will be based off of.

I started with designing a silhouette that I liked:

I decided on the third one I did, which seemed to be the most normal looking one. Then I went and coloured it in, and made the animations for walking!

Then came the first task: Create The Player!

Next I will:

• Start coding movement
  • Make more generic customers that I can reuse
  • Coding collisions

I will do another update for Day 2 with all new screenshots of my progress on these goals, hopefully inside GM:Studio!

Submitted(+1)

Today I've started the project on GM:Studio!

For the first time, I looked into "Motion Planning", and the built-in functions inside GameMaker:Studio! I ended up using something called "mp_potential_step", which moves an object towards a goal, an avoiding the obstacles along the way. Unfortunately, this takes a lot of the direct control away from me code-wise, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, and I will just work around the motion planning!

After implementing the sprites I made yesterday, and working around the motion planning to get the sprites to display correctly, I have this:

Im surprised how well the motion planning works! Its a bit buggy sometimes, but its so much better than coding it myself! After this great success so far, next I've got to:

• Make some customers
  • FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THE CUSTOMERS TO WORK
  • Profit.

Getting the customers to actually work in the game will take me most of the time, as its the biggest mechanic, so the progress from here will be a bit slower, but I guarantee I will do some fun stuff in between so that the devlogs are still interesting!

Let me know your thoughts on the game so far!

This is looking great! Can't wait to see some movement! 

This is a really cute and creative concept! Good luck, looks like you have a great start so far :>

Submitted

Thank you so much!! 

Host

ok it's valid that you don't feel like calling yourself an artist but i just want to say this art is incredible and you should totally rethink that one. also great work on the click + pathfinding already omg :OOO !!!

Submitted(+1)

Thank you, that's very kind! And yes I'm so surprised that the movement was so simple with this motion planning! I wish I have used it sooner to be honest! 

Submitted

This looks super nice for a first game! And the pixel people are hella cute.

You are making a lot of progress, well done!! Maybe you can use motion planning for your other games 馃槀 I'm excited to see all of your customers when you've finished them! 

Submitted

Sorry for the lack of devlog yesterday, I was busy with non-gamedev things. So I have nothing really to show right now, but to make up for it, I am going to do an update later on today with new stuff, so keep an eye out for my update in a few hours!

The only thing I can show you thats new is some new customer images:

Im going to do most of my prototyping with these two, so if you see a lot of the next few screenshots with these two, its not always going to be like that, and yes, there will be gay couples too! (Its the 21st century...)

So anyway, stay tuned for the update later with hopefully some progress on the customers actually doing something!

Dont forget to leave a comment on what you think so far, and give me some motivation!

Submitted

The new customer images are cute

Submitted

Thank you! 

Submitted(+1)

As promised, here is the update for what I've got!

Ive made new icons:

The first 3 will show the mood of the couple, and the other 5 are for the things that you can queue up to do next.

To explain that system, think of The Sims, where you can click on multiple things to do, it queues up and your character will do them one after the other. That's exactly what you can do here, to maximize your time-management!

Here is the queuing system working here!

As you can also see, the first sign of customers are in the game, and even though it dosent look like much, there is a lot of behind the scenes code going on to provide for expansion later! Let me know if you guys are interested in seeing the code, and I will show you!

Other smaller new things:

• Animating Lights, making the room look a lot more alive!
  • A Bin/Trash Can, for throwing out food!
  • Smaller Lectern, to make sure the waiter can see over it!

Im getting into more technical stuff now, so unless you guys let me know if you want to see some code, I might not do another post until I have some more to show!

Dont forget to leave a comment about what you think!

Submitted

The lights are a nice touch!

Submitted

I thought so too!

Submitted(+1)

A lot of behind the scenes stuff today! I've knuckled down and started working on the gameplay cycle.

For now the steps are as follows:

• Take customers to tables
  • Take their orders
  • Take them their food
  • Fulfill their requests
  • Take their dishes

And repeat!

Right now, it dosent sound very fun to be honest... I need to come up with a puzzle element to it to make it more difficult! Please help me with some suggestions!

Right now you can take the customers to their table, and take their order!

I know it doesn't look like much, but believe me, its a lot of code to make that work! 

Again, if you'd like to see anything in my code, or would like to know how something works, let me know! Also a few more things to note:

• New sitting sprites! (I don't know why I didn't think of doing them until today...)
  • The task system in the bottom right all working (although the icons are a bit small and seem so unimportant)
  • New Timer Icon! (Will add the mood ones from the last update later)

Sorry for the lack of exciting stuff, once I've gotten through the hard programming parts, it'll be smooth sailing from there, and there will be more exciting things going on after that!

Submitted

Oh this is looking very cute! Good work! I love your people sprites.

I'd imagine the game will be busy enough once you're managing four couples at once, so I wouldn't worry about it not being fun yet. If you need a puzzle element, though... maybe each person only says they want something hot or cold or sweet or savoury, etc, and you have to serve a meal which both diners like?  (though that's a lot more coding to add this far into the jam) Or maybe some couples are completely incompatible and you have to spot them and move them on quickly to make room for couples who'll have a better date?

Submitted

Thank you! Great idea, I was actually thinking something similar to the food idea, and I might just add it... 

Wowza this is looking so good so far!! I can't wait to see how the finished version turns out!

Submitted

Thank you, I'm glad people are still interested in this game :) 

Submitted

After a lot a coding, I've finally got a basic gameplay cycle! There's still a lot more to go, but I'll probably talk more about that as I do it!

Anyway, here is a (very very long) GIF showing a typical cycle of gameplay so far:

I know I still have a lot to go, but getting through that main cycle is a big achievement for me! I'm super proud of myself :)

Gotta push on though! Other things to note:

• Took the bin out, haven't actually found a good use for it yet...
  • The timer in the top right is working! This will contribute to your score.
  • The plates have colours?!? This is just placeholder for real food!
  • New sink! As you can see, this is where you leave the dishes!
  • Made a way to spawn the customers at certain times, ideal for having control over the difficulty!

I've got a whole lot of new goals I want to complete next:

• Adding money into the game! Your money is your total score.
  • Sounds! Games always feel like more of a game when there are cool sounds.
  • Drawing Food!
  • A Musical Band?
  • Cool as heck Main Menu!
  • Adding moods into the game

Now, If I can complete all of that before the jam ends, I will be super happy, but I have big plans for this game, so Im going to work hard over the next few days, so prepared to be bombarded with updates with these goals hopefully being completed!

Please let me know your ideas/opinions of the game so far!

Viewing posts 1 to 20 of 29Next pageLast page