Phew, that was exhillerating! Got to WTF++ and boy is it wtf worthy!, Youve done a lot of good work making sure all the mechanics are smooth, good job!
Recent community posts
Hey, thanks for your feedback! No youre not doing anything wrong, i just didnt have enough time in the jam to code that in! Thats the first thing i will be fixing however, and it really ruins the game! And yes, i definitely need to add more visual and auditory feedback for all the buttons. Thank you so much for playing the first little prototype, really means a lot!
End of day progress:
Coming down to the wire now!
- Weapons added! (Completely forgot)
- Fixed a lot of bugs with the weapons and IDs
- Turn function a bit more obvious
Next is the defense system (Another thing i forgot about), and a tutorial.
Wish me luck!
End of day progress:
After restarting, this is what i have accomplished (I'm starting to feel hopeful!):
- All cards drag function
- Base of an enemy AI
- Better card identification (from a programming standpoint)
- Betting system with simple animations
- Attacking and enemy attacking
- The token system with betting returns and winning
- Basic dice roll
- Card snapping
My next step is the defense system, getting a stricter and more obvious turn structure, wokring on dice roll a little maybe.
After a couple of days of just thinking, I've come up with a lot of new things.
Ive restarted, but its not all for nought!
Im still going with the same idea, but minus the RP aspect.
I realised that i dont know enough about RPG's to do it justice! My other thing was that i didnt have the rules of the basic game down so when it came down to coding, its not that i didnt know how to do it, it was more that i didnt know what i wanted to add into the game! So after much deliberation, I've adjusted it. This is the basis of my new concept:
- At the start of the game you get 5 random cards and 100 tokens (maybe, ill adjust it depending on the difficulty).
- At the start of every turn (excluding the first one) you get a dice roll, and the outcome determines a new card to be drawn from the deck, or for you to gain tokens etc.
- Creatures dont have any attack stat! The only way to attack is to equip a weapon card to the creature, enabling it to use that weapon.
- The cost to play a card a certain amount of tokens, and these are put into the 'betting pool' for that battle, along with the opponents tokens.
- The player who wins that battle gains all the tokens in the betting pool for that battle.
- You can place a creature in front of another creature as a "meat shield". They have no abilities and their HP is the amount of attack they can deal.
- The opponent player then HAS to attack the meat shield before it can attack the creature behind it.
- The first player to 200 tokens (again, may be changed) wins, or the first player to 0 tokens loses.
Tell me what you think would be cool to add or change, i would love to hear any feedback :)
Thank you so much! and yes, im actually really happy with my progress with the mechanics, especially because im learning more than i am coding! And mechanics have been my only focus thus far; I want to make sure its working before doing any art!
End of Day Progress:
Sorry this ones so late! Slept through the time i usually update my devlog!
- Added working health
- Fixed a problem with health for both enemy and player
- Moves actually deal damage
- Fixed problems with moves
- Death added
- Fixed problem with room transitions after death
- Added cool lighting!
Next i would like to add some artwork so that I can start adding more visually to the game, because as you can see below, they are all filler sprites at the moment. I know there really isnt much to look at, thats because my main focus has been the mechanics, because theres no point in adding artwork in my opinion if the thing that art does isnt working. But, i though it might be nice for people to see the beginning, and look at the progression form the beginning of the game, until its done (literally the whole point of a devlog!)http://imgur.com/a/2WP9D
End of Day Progress
- Fixed a problem with the card stacking
- Fixed a problem with the sprite changes
- Started an opponent A.I
- Added onto the turns mechanic
Next i would like to work on the enemy opponent A.I some more, maybe add some more card placement areas.
End of Day Progress:
- All deck and hand mechanic working and easily customisable for adding new cards to the game etc.
- Turn mechanic started
- Attacking transitions for attacking enemy added
- Card move sets added, moves dont actually do anything yet
Hey! Im Liam (a.k.a Mocadium) and I am developing a card /turn based battle game :)
Game Title: Havent got one yet! Any suggestions would be amazing!
Game Engine: Game Maker Studio. Ive only just learnt how to use Game Maker, but i have a little experience in programming (emphasis on little!).
Basic Concept: A digital card game where you actually fight the battles! Place cards, position where they'll attack from, and head into battle with the enemy's army! Battle will be turn based and moves will use the same "action points" as the cost of placing/moving cards, so you have to be very strategical at when you are going to strike the enemy!
Any suggestions for more features would be be amazing!