Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How has the experience been so far?

A topic by Cenphon created Aug 29, 2019 Views: 368 Replies: 20
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Submitted

Participating in jams like this has been in general a very good experience for me! This is my second game jam, and this one has been a bit more fun because there hasn't been any trouble with figuring out itch.io's jam system.

I'm wondering how the experience has been so far for everyone else! (What did you think of the theme, if you've run into any troubles, etc.)

Submitted

What you mean with itch.io jam system? That's my first jam. What problems may I will face? I guess when I finish my game just submit, upload instalation files and wait for... Finally rest. Am I wrong?

And BTW today was a waste of time... All day spend on trying to implement mini game about opening locks and finally I didn't made it and decide to leave this feature for later... Too complex idea to create on short time. As a punish I decide to no sleep tonight to add postprocessing and I guess cry a little bit because that my first time with implementing postprocessing :)

Submitted

Oh, last time I was in GMTK game jam and the massive amount of people trying to submit crashed the servers . . . it was kind of a mess there in the closing hour.

Today was my most productive day (although I only have one to compare it to). It's unfortunate when you waste time, but it's all part of the learning experience :)

Submitted

Thanks god I didn't have time to participate on it. Imagine doing the project and being unable to submit it... xD

Anyway, theoretically, those problems are already solved. 

Let's hope it doesn't happen again!

Submitted

It ended up not being too bad, because the host extended the deadline by two hours.

My first ever game jam here and I feel like I am way in over my head due to lack of my general gamedev knowledge. Up until a day ago I've still been trying to figure out what to even make at all to match the theme. I've been stuck between ideas that might match the theme but sound like it would be the most tedious, anti-fun game ever developed on earth and ideas that sound like they would be fun, but either not match the theme at all, or would be way too difficult to make in a single week.
Now with barely 2 days left I'm not really counting on finishing it in time. Here's hoping that by the time the next game jam comes around, I'll have improved my game design and coding skills and won't be so stuck next time. Only time will tell.

Definitely looking forward to what kind of games others have developed, it should be interesting :)

Submitted

I'm relatively new to gamedev as well. This theme is really limited as far as getting ideas, yeah! I hope your game goes well!

Submitted

I'd encourage you to submit something and not overcomplicate things (second jam here, so not an expert by far...). 

If you have two days, make a simple project that don't need hours and hours of code. Yes, I know it's so easy to say and not so easy to do and yes, maybe it will not be your best game but you'll submit anything and gain experience on that too. 

And who knows, maybe something super-simple ends up being more fun and enjoyable than a super-complicated project. You can keep working on it after the deadline if you see that it have potential!

Cmon! You can do it!

Submitted

This is my second game jam (and my little brother's first).  He's doing concept, design, sounds, and I'm doing level building, scripting, animation.  We're off to a good start.  Trying to finish version 1 by tomorrow to start testing.  About to be crunch time!

Submitted

Hey there, fellow second-timer! I hope your game continues to go well!

It's very very very hard. Did I emphasise the very enough? Because it is very hard. But really fun too.

Submitted

Yeah, jams are really hard!

Submitted

Its my first jam. Didnt really like the theme but I am 75 percent finished with my game. My first time doing a 2D game as well. I work alone so the art and music will be a pain haha

Submitted

75 percent is definitely a success, especially for someone participating in their first jam! I didn't like the theme either but I think I'm doing well.

Submitted

I feel pretty tired but super happy about what I've done so far. I'm doing the jam solo and I am currently working on the project 10+ hours everyday. I learnt new ways to achieve stuff using Unity, and I learnt how to manage my roadmap and the time I have to do the features I planned. 

This is my first jam but I'm working (solo again) on another video game since 2016 so I may have a bit of experience already, I'm just not used to work that hard per day because of a time restriction. And this is awesome.

I hope the game will be as good as I think it could be, stay strong mates 2 more days to go!

Submitted

Yep, I'm in the same situation (but I've been working on the project a lot less, wow.) Hang in there!

Submitted

It's my first jam and I would say it's been pretty fun, but at the moment I'm just really stressed out. I planned out what features I'd implement on which day, but i just recently got the news that I'll be going out of town on Saturday morning and I'm only coming back on Sunday so I have 1 day less to work on my game. I have to somehow squeeze in 2 days of work into 1 :/

Submitted

It is motivating to see people having a good time with this to get something done.

Come guys, to give it all the last days, you already have it!

Submitted

Pretty good! This is my first game jam. I made a couple other games as personal one-month challenges and then figured I was ready to try this out. I don't think I'll ever be ready for a 2-day jam, but one week sounded pretty good! My game is playable but ugly right now, so I'm using the remainder of the time to make it as nice looking (and sounding) as possible. It's a challenge, especially with a day job! But it has been a lot of fun too.

Submitted

I agree, 2-day jams are a lot harder! My game is playable as well (but it doesn't have much life to it (yet))

Submitted

It's my third game jam and the first one to not have a team. It is fun and motivating to work fast on new ideas. But I have a very big neck/spine pain, from too much sitting in the PC chair, that won't go away without taking at least 3 days break from sitting on a chair at PC. So I have an extra reason to look forward ending this game jam asap =))