Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

what language/system/software are you planning on using?

A topic by nilson created Mar 22, 2019 Views: 834 Replies: 21
Viewing posts 1 to 14
Submitted(+1)

just curious because the jam is so simple and open-ended.

i'll probably end up using rpg maker because i love it so much,
but might try coding by hand if i've got some charisma to expend. 

looking forward to this jam < 3

Host

I'll probably use GameMaker: Studio, as that's what I'm most familiar with. I'm trying to learn Unity at the moment though, so if I'm feeling comfortable enough with it by the time the jam happens I guess I could try that!

Submitted

Learning Unity is on my list of things to do, too. I feel like 75% of it is just... figuring out the right menu configuration/best workflow haha. Can't wait to see your game!

Submitted

Whoa just learned about this! I've never made a roguelike, much less a broughlike, but it's my full intention to enter this. I use GMS2! And I'll likely make a more puzzley one ala Corrypt or Game Title.

Jam Host

Corrypt is one of my absolute favorites,,  looking forward to entries that are in/all/some-part inspired by it!

(+1)(-1)

I've been experimenting with Godot. On a game I would call a Broughlike actually! I like it a lot as it feels a bit more mature than GMS2

Submitted

Have there been any good tutorials you've been trying?

(+2)(-1)

So far I've been using the docs and they have been very helpful: https://docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/getting_started/step_by_step/index.html

The docs are also open source so they are constantly getting updated by the community.

The discord is pretty active as well and has help/question channels: https://discord.gg/zH7NUgz

There are also lots of videos but I haven't watched any so I can't recommend any in particular but it seems they are pretty numerous.

Been using Godot exclusively since I started using it - I absolutely love it, and I love feeling like I truly own my own games. On my itch.io profile you can see my only 2 games are both Godot, one of which is our Ludum Dare entry

I've been debating coding for this jam with raw C++ which would be a lot of fun, but I think long term I will be using Godot for my games so, it's good practice. I get enough raw programming at my day job lol

(+1)

I've been tinkering with a very basic first-person raycasting engine in tic-80 in the past and I'm thinking of converting it to a grid-based topdown system for this jam. The end result might be more "weird roguelike" than "broughlike", but we'll see...

Submitted

tic-80 seems very cool. can't wait to see what you come up with : )

(+1)

TIC-80 is a lot of fun. I used to be a big fan of PICO-8, but TIC-80 is just a bit more flexible and versatile. And I love how I can just whip up a quick prototype of an idea on my phone.

Submitted(+1)

I used an earlier version of TIC-80 to create "The Sky House", it was a fun but at the time there was no way to write the code except from the editor which became a little bit of pain near the end (as there was a lot of code). I think they now support editing the tic file from any text editor. Also, they didn't have a full documentation about a lot of stuff :) But it was a really fun experience :)

And for some reason I thought the jam was next week. I checked out this page to see if there were any updates before starting, just to discover the jam had already ended. 

I'll probably still make the game/prototype, but it might take more than a week now.

Submitted

I'm after a lightweight Web deploy with a more straightforward API but with good animation, gui, and effect support.  Haxe Flixel is the engine I'm most interested in at the moment, but it means I'd need to do a fair bit of prep getting used to haxe and the environment.

The other option is to use phaser so I can code in typescript and take advantage of the large code library I've built up in that environment. If I don't feel like I'm making enough progress with Haxe I'll go that route I suppose.

(1 edit)

I'm hesitant whether to do this from "scratch" using a former codebase of mine in C++ and SFML or using something like Unity or XNA/FNA etc mmm... I feel like the spirit of the jam is more about "raw" and "glitchy", which seems closers to the first option. Or maybe (from scratch too) some JavaScript + canvas or webgl combo... Mmm, dices shall be rolled

Submitted(+1)

I will be using Pico-8 probably as I am trying to get more familiar with it to use for future game jams :)

Also, Zaga-33 and 868-Hack are two of my absolute favorite games :)

Thanks to the organizers for doing that :)

Submitted (1 edit)

Unity..

Guys this is my first game jam...any tips?

I haven't played a Broughlike game till now :( 

Please suggest me an easy Broughlike game which i can try to clone!

Submitted

Zaga-33 is very simple :)

Submitted (2 edits)

I'm using arcade for the first time. It's a python library that (I learned after starting) seems to be aimed mainly at classroom environments. I heard it highly recommended somewhere, but so far I'm not as impressed as I hoped to be. I've had to read the source a lot where the docs are lacking, but the source is very readable. It also makes a bunch of choices under the assumption that you are developing a real-time game with moving and colliding sprites, which I'm not.

It was a lot simpler to install and get working than pygame, though.

Submitted

Using haxegon together with Haxe, of course! Have been making games with it for years and it's still awesome.