No and no.
Recent community posts
(I hope it's OK to self-promote here)
I've given up on my entry but I'm releasing this little trick I found (back during GBJAM 3) to easily switch between different color palettes. I thought this might be useful to anyone who's making a GBJAM game using Construct 2.
It's super easy to do really. Feel free to use this in your projects, you don't need to credit me or anything.
You could also submit a placeholder now and just update it whenever. I personally don't like crunch, but unfortunately the game jam format in general implicitly expects people to crunch (because of the very limited time frame). I wanted to avoid this a bit, so I made the jam a month long, and even extended the deadline.
Really, don't worry. Just make something and submit whatever. This is supposed to be relaxing and fun.
You mean the timer on the jam page? https://itch.io/jam/a-game-by-its-cover-2016
It's already been updated. The original due date was August 1 @ 2:00 AM (CEST), now it's August 8 @ 2:00 AM (CEST).
Don't worry about submitting your game. If you miss the deadline, just let us know. We can add your game to the jam manually, even after the deadline. :)
yesterday, by popular demand, we've decided to extend the submission deadline by a week!
This means you have plenty of time to finish your projects, fix bugs (which you could do anyway since itch.io allows for jam entries to be modified after they've been submitted), or join and start one if you haven't already.
Remember to credit the original artists and provide a link to the artwork your game was inspired by.
Hey everyone, with the jam starting in a couple of hours I thought a gentle reminder that you don't have to use Famicase art as your inspiration is in order. I think anything goes, as long as the thing is fictional and doesn't exist yet as a game.
These fake games by faux-company Schadenfreude Interactive are excellent examples:
Let's collect sources of inspiration (that aren't part of the My Famicase Exhibition) in this thread.
This is a really good idea and I agree, it's always best to ask the artist's permission first (even though that might be impossible with some of the Famicase submissions because of pseudonyms, artists that don't want to be contacted, etc).
(I totally stole most of these from Sophie Houlden's Star Trek Jam (which you should totally join too by the way), if your question isn't answered freel free to ask!)
- Can I start planning before the beginning of the jam?
- Yes, if you want to.
- Could I even start making the game early?
- Can I work in a team?
- What does "Inspired by Famicase" mean?
- Must I choose one of this year's My Famicase Exhibition?
- Nope! In fact, you can use any fake cover art that inspires you.
- Do I have to name my game after its inspirational Famicase entry?
- An artist contacted me and they are uncomfortable with me turning their art into a game, what do I do?
- Don't be mean, choose a different cart, and let them know.
- What does "Game" mean?
- Whatever it means to you.
- Where can I find previous A Game By Its Cover jams?
- Last year's jam page contains some history and links.
- Will there be voting/judging/ranking/prizes?
- Nope, no competition. Just people making games and stuff :)
- Do I have to use the Famicase cover for the itch.io cover of my game?
- Someone stole my art and put it into their AGBIC game, are you cool with that?
- No, definitely not! Please contact us and we'll remove it from the jam. You should also report the game to itch.io staff via the link at the bottom of the game page.
- So you extended the deadline. Will you keep doing that?
- I'm running out of time! Can I submit a placeholder and change it later?
- Yes, totally.
- What about fixing bugs / making changes after the deadline?
- All fine. Itch.io's jam system is very relaxed that way (which is great).
- I found a Famicase that I like. Do I have to stick to their description?
- Does my game have to be free or can I charge people money for it?
- That's up to you, but keep in mind that you can't legally sell other people's artwork. (IANAL)
- Can I just submit any game, even if it wasn't made for this jam?
- You can (and people have), but we'll probably remove it.
- What if I put my own cover art into the Famicase template? Can I submit it then?
- Nothing stopping you from submitting your spam, nothing stopping us from removing it again.
- I missed the deadline! Can I still submit my game?
- Yes. Please contact us and we'll manually add your game to the jam.
- When will AGBIC 2017 take place?
- We don't know yet, but definitely after My Famicase 2017 (which should be around March / April).
(Oh wow, so many people here. I feel like I'm late to the party but here it goes)
Hi, I'm Jeremy. You may know me as @Ludonaut.
I've been making games for two years now. I started with Twine and moved to Construct 2 and also somehow managed to make some simple stuff with Unity. I love text art and glitch art (I've made some), I spend way too much time on Twitter, and I'm currently studying game design here in Germany.
My latest thing is this borb thing that I made as a birthday present for a friend.
I'm not good with forums and this might turn out to be my only post here, but this looks very promising. Thank you all for creating a nice atmosphere so far. ✨