Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What was the hardest thing about developing your game?

A topic by Aumarka created Dec 16, 2019 Views: 254 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted(+5)

For me personally, it was finding an idea that could fit the theme of the jam. I spent most of the first day developing base shooter mechanics and seeing what could make for an interesting idea.

Give and You Shall Receive is a wave-based survival game where the player must survive hordes of enemies by gunning them down. The catch is that after every wave, the player must choose to give up something in order to receive something in return, changing up how they play the game.

https://mark-auman.itch.io/give-and-you-shall-receive

What about for you?

Submitted

For me personally, was trying to help the 3D modeller, as I could never get my model to look the same as theirs. But I think I mainly struggled with the iMon's as they were one of the last things we implemented, and I was quite tired at that point.

Submitted

Focusing on a small pack of features instead of feature creeping.
We always think too big and our projects take forever. So I am happy with what we've done for this game jam.

Submitted

I can understand this. At the end of day one I had my three storylines pretty much wrapped up, and spent a good while thinking about who/what else I could add. Luckily I decided to just create what I already needed, with the intention of adding anything extra at a later point. I'm very glad I did because if I'd tried to add any more there's no way I'd have finished!

Submitted

When you're in your creative bubble you kinda forget about time.

Most of the time it's a good idea to wrap something up and make it better before going to the next thing.

Submitted

I couldn't put as many memes in as I'd like. Just covering 'Carrot for a Cock' in Pico-8 took an entire morning.

Submitted

We've done a few jams before, although we normally participate in 72-hour jams (notably LD Jam).  The hardest part for us was probably cutting out 24 hours of work and focussing down on a smaller feature set.  We decided that we'd borrow ideas from an existing game since we didn't want to spend too much time planning actual gameplay, and instead wanted to get working on features.

Fortunately we're a team of 4 so we can split tasks quite nicely.  I have background in Computer Science, so I took programming and music.  The other members are experienced in Architecture and Film Production, so we're quite geared towards this.

Overall, it's been quite an interesting experience, and we'll definitely be doing it again next year (if they host one).

Submitted

Knowing how to split my time between coding/story/art/voices was the most difficult thing for me. I think I prioritised well enough, but it did mean everything was a little bit too rushed at the end; it would've been nice to have an extra hour to playtest and check it everything was in working order. It's a little unfortunate that the things I'm least happy with in my game are all very quick fixes, but you live and learn!

Submitted (1 edit)

By far the most difficult thing was giving up on pixel art for me. I had 6 hours left on the clock but still had no ai the player couldn't shoot and I had no sound effects. In the end I embraced the blocks style and focused as much as possible on gameplay.

https://itch.io/jam/yogscast-game-jam/rate/536013

Submitted (1 edit)

We tried so dang hard to make our game a multiplayer game - Unfortunately, we just didn't know Construct 3 well enough. We'd spent a whole day and a half trying to get multiplayer working, but we had to scrap that in place of a simple AI.

Hey, y'know. If we just knew a little bit more. But, isn't that always the case? At the end of the day, we made a functional and good looking game, so, there's that!

Submitted(+1)

I learned so much during this process, it was gruesome bugfixing and staring at the screen for way too long for something that sounded simple. But next time will be even better.

Submitted

I stupidly spent almost the entire first day making the character animations, of which I only used about 75%.

Note to future self: do the gameplay first, make it pretty later...