Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Are hotfixes allowed/possible?

A topic by SoBad created Jan 22, 2020 Views: 502 Replies: 17
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Submitted (1 edit)

In the last jam that I was a part of, I remember being physically prevented from patching or re-uploading my submission (which makes sense). That doesn't seem to be the case with this jam.

I would love to patch a game-breaking bug that wasn't noticed in my game until after submission. I just don't know if that would impact my game's comments/ratings thus far. I'm also worried that it might be frowned-upon to do so, and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to feel that the submission was any less "legitimate" after patching.

What's the general opinion on hotfixes for this jam?

Submitted

I have the same question, but don't know the answer, I guess Jonas himself should decide the current rule.

So, in case that he sees this, are improvements available ? I wish I could improve some stuff in my game, but I just don't because it feels wrong... Don't know.

Submitted(+2)

Jonas allows it. :)

Submitted(+1)

Yes you can!
https://itch.io/jam/wowie-jam-2/topic/658154/how-to-submit-and-rate-games#post-112895

Submitted

In my case would be some small polish/fixes, so I'll let it the way it is for the Jam period

Host

Can't go wrong with that. :P

Submitted

Thanks for the quick responses, everybody!

Submitted

yikes 😳😱

Did I mess up?!

I added a letter to help players figure out where to go and bg music since I didnt know how before submission time... :<

Host(+1)

Hmmm. Yeah. I'm not sure what the correct response here is...

I personally don't think it's a super big deal but for the sake of fairness I guess that has to block you from winning one of the top spots in the affected categories.  Feel like that's a good compromise. :)

Maybe you can also put a little disclaimer on your game page.
Open to hear your opinions on that as well, though. :)

Submitted

Okay, damn. I totally forgot about that rule. Jonas, if I should take one of the top 25 spots (which could be possible, right now I am most rated place 25), don't include me because I made a balance change in level 6. Give the spot someone else beneath me. :)

Submitted(+1)

U DESERVE MY RESPECT

Submitted

Haha thanks but I am just trying to be fair. =)

Submitted

I don't know, but to me, excluding a game from winning for that reason sounds kinda harsh. I think, @BenGameJamin should just upload the original build again and release his improved version, after the jam ends. For now, he could add the letter and a link to his music in the game description. Isn't that a better option, than to be blocked from winning?

Submitted(+1)

I agree with Schmartin, a general exclusion does not have to be. I think it would be good if the original jam version is made available again. The instructions or the letter can be linked on the project page. I personally do not care whether the music is made available during the jam outside the game, since I only include what is integrated in the game in the rating ;)

Submitted(+1)

Ok well if that's acceptable I can upload the update after the rating, and remove it now.

My original is still up so I'll just do that for now, but tbh I dont plan on a high rating like that anyways 😁✌ but I do want to be within the rules.

Thanks for the heads up, and next time I'll have to do better to read all the rules.

Submitted

Ok. Could you send me a link to the game, if you uploaded it? 

Submitted(+1)

Yes indeed, https://itch.io/jam/wowie-jam-2/rate/552843

Host

Alright. Thanks for your opinions. If you agree we should handle it that way I'm on board. :)