Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How can I get reviews for my game?

A topic by Volkov Ivan created Aug 24, 2020 Views: 386 Replies: 14
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Submitted

Some of the titles already have >10 reviews, but I have only 2 since the morning. I am playing others' games, reviewing them, but as I can see it doesn't really help to get any more reviews

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Btw, game is https://itch.io/jam/miz-jam-1/rate/738259

Submitted(+1)

Yeah, it's hard to get ratings in these things and I think some real gems often go unnoticed for that reason.

Submitted

I have the same problem. But at least I can help you out. Here one review from me. ;)

Submitted

Thanks! I will definitely check your game too in the evening :)

Submitted

I would like that:
https://jwveenman.itch.io/knight-jam

Submitted(+1)

I'm wondering the same thing. I think other jam setups are more forceful in getting people to vote - e.g. you have to vote or your game isn't included in the final results.

Submitted(+1)

Ratings are only done by people who submitted a game. This means we only have 700 or so raters.

The best thing to do if you want to get ratings is to go into the random tab rate a game and write a helpful comment. This is usually enough to convince the others to checkout your game.

Refrain from making rate for rate topics. There are others that have the same silly idea and spam the community tab.

Submitted

Yeah, thank you, I am playing all the games right now and it seems that some people are responding :) Right now all the games I played were awesome

Submitted

This is good to hear.

Submitted

It seems to help a lot to have an interesting thumbnail (which you do) and to have an option to play-in-browser (which you don't.)

I realize play-in-browser is hard or impossible for some games, but it makes things infinitely more accessible. I spent a few hours just getting the browser version of my entry to work right

Submitted

Give and you shall receive is what I have to say. Do the work on playing and genuinely giving advice on other people's games. Also being active on the discord and sharing your link on the show off channel works. Try and make your game browser ready and keep the graphics simple enough so that low end pcs don't just jitter out when playing or add a less lag mode in the settings of your game. Try doing play test streams on YouTube or twitch where you have to fill out a form in order to submit your game and sprinkle in links to your game too, that way more people will see it. Also adding a nice gif to your thumbnail helps. I submitted "defender's magic" which is currently standing at 20-30 ratings, so I can bet you these techniques are effective. Here are some things I do not recommend. Firstly, doing rate for rates or DMing people on Discord will get you boosted ratings but they are always going to be bad ratings because people will think you are being stingy or greedy. Also begging for rates after giving feedback will annoy many people too, and can get you banned. 

Submitted

Thank you for response, I guess I will focus on just playing random other peoples' games and giving them the feedback.

The target was not to promote, this is a make and forget project just for the sake of practicing and participating in the game jam :)

Submitted

It is hard to stand out in these big jams.. but just play games and give good feedback and people will do the same to you! The most important thing is that you made something and put it out for everyone to see.

Submitted (1 edit)

I'll give some insight into how I personally pick the games I rate, maybe others do it in the same way. First, I make it a point to always play and rate the people who give helpful comments with good feedback in them. Also, I sort by Most  Karma to find the people that have been rating other's the most and play and rate their games. It is impossible for me to rate every game, so I give more attention to the people who have been spending the effort to rate a lot of other people's games.

Submitted

You need to buy ratings from some sketchy indian guys that speak no english. No other way around.