Viewing posts 1 to 18
Host

go ahead

Submitted

are there going to be themes

Jam HostSubmitted

maybe some optional ones to choose from, but no requirement

(+1)

are there  going to be a specific ? this will give the jam a unique part , like all the games would be colorful , or dark or what ever 

Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

Yes, the imaginary game console is the unique part of the Jam.

dont ask me how but i missed up in typing , i meant a specific pallet to work with 

Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

all the limitations will be revealed when the jam starts

(+2)

Is it a requirement that the image from the game should be exactly what comes out of the fantasy console? In other words, would things like CRT shaders not be allowed?

Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

Possibly not depending on the imaginary console

(+2)

CRT filters could be a really nice for the game feel *__*

Host(+2)

Shaders will not be allowed as the altered colors and resolution would make it too hard for us to tell if the specs have been met. Plus we would prefer if all games looked cohesive when embedded.

And what about a shader applying effects and keeping the color and resolution correct ?

Can we know the resolution beforehand? it would help us to find for a proper game engine and study a little bit, i would love to use pico8 but it only runs on 128x128 res

Host

We decided to keep the specs secret until it starts so everyone is on the same playing field. You will most likely not be able to use fantasy consoles as there will be a required resolution and palette.

(+1)(-1)

What about sound/music? Does that also have its own resolution (8-bit, 16-bit, etc.)?

Jam HostSubmitted

there is no set resolution for music.

Will scaling be allowed? Like 2x 3x 4x scaling depending on the resolution and the browser window size?

Jam HostSubmitted

No, we're gonna have people submit at 1x, then scale it up when embedded

(+1)

What about for desktop apps?

Jam HostSubmitted

Oh good point, desktop apps should probably be scaled up (though include a 1x version if possible)

Embedded where?

Soo I'm wanting to make an audio only game anyway. So anything graphic related I can ignore on this imaginary console.

But is there any other limit on this imaginary console I should know about? 

Jam HostSubmitted

there are no music limits, only the graphical and control related ones

The Console requirements affect the music too?

like, if the console is the genesis, i'll maybe use YM2612, but if its snes, i'll use the SPC700

or its just for the graphics?

Jam HostSubmitted

nope, there are no requirements for music, it would be cool if it matched the style, but you don't need to.

(+1)

thanks

Jam HostSubmitted

there is an optional sound chip

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

For the controller portion, if we have that with a keyboard and mouse is mouse input okay or should it be 7 keyboard keys only?

Jam HostSubmitted

You can use the mouse buttons, but should avoid using the cursor position.

7 button control ler, It's all on the keyboard, right?

A = Key A

B = Key B 

Right? 

See discussion here: https://itch.io/jam/lospec-jam-1/topic/1518443/lospecjam1-has-begun-meet-the-ltr...

(2 edits) (+1)

Tic-80 has 240 x 136 resolution, is that ok to use?

Maybe leave one blank line at the bottom if the height needs to be 135px?

Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

that's fine if it's your only option. If it's for a web game you can crop it out with css.

(+1)

Are  those three programs(Love2d/Construct3/Godot) recommended or required? Can we just use Unity for this game jam?

im sure that they are recommended , because when something is required they type (REQUIRED) next to it 
i will be using unity and i recommend that you use the pixel perfect tool to limit the res 

good luck

(+1)

Thank you so much for details.

I only know how to use unity, and I saw that we couldn't use shaders, so am I allowed to do the thing with the render texture or no?

Jam HostSubmitted

You can use shaders to make it match the palette, they just cant add extra colors

(1 edit)

I got 2 questions for you

do the sprite sizes have to be a certain size like 8 x 8 or 16 x 16 or 32 x 32 and so on?

and is there any more color limitations like 4 colors only? or we just use the 10 colors only?

Jam HostSubmitted

I've just added some optional restrictions:

• sprite size should be multiple of 12x12
  • 4 colors per sprite 12x12 sprite tile (including transparency)

sorry for making too many questions, but, we can use semi-transparent effects?

i mean, i want to do a water mirror effect, but , that affects the sprites, so, its possible or not?

Jam HostSubmitted (1 edit)

No problem! as long as it fits the Jam requirements and palette, I don't see why it would be a problem

(+1)

Thanks

(1 edit) (+1)

By the 7 button control requirement, is it meant we can use a maximum of those buttons, or do we have to use that specific amount of buttons?

Also, Is  vector art allowed?

Jam HostSubmitted

Great questions!
to put it simply you have to use 7 buttons specifically.
no vector art isn't allowed since it would go way past the resolution requirement. 

I just read the main rules again, and it said you could use up to those amounts of buttons. Also, vector art could still fit in the resolution requirement I think. I only plan on using simple shapes.

Jam HostSubmitted

if you can fit vector art in the required resolution, I don't see a problem, but vector art is high res

yeah, I'll be able to fit it in the resolution,  thanks for clarifying.

Submitted

Are we allow to update the games post jam? 

Jam HostSubmitted

after the game jam is finished with completely, feel free to continue working on your game for whatever reason