Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

(Suggestion) For next game jam, add a tutorial on proper exporting and what to upload

A topic by Winged created Jun 19, 2018 Views: 585 Replies: 16
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted(+4)

I'm sad that I can't play some games because only .exe files were uploaded without the pack file needed. :(

In the future jams please put a tutorial on how to properly export and upload a game, for all OS-s.

Jam Host

That's a good point, many seemed to have troubles exporting their project, so we'll need to cover that more in depth.

There's a tutorial already but it should have been linked on the jam page: http://docs.godotengine.org/en/latest/getting_started/step_by_step/exporting.htm...

Submitted

the export tutorials could be more straightforward. I ended up getting it working but there was a lot of hoops to jump through. That said, I think most of my issue was using the Mono version for exporting. It did not play well with the templates

Submitted

I had a similar experience with the tutorial. I was trying to export to Linux, took a look at the tutorial page, and decided to just figure it out on my own. I'm not 100% sure I did it correctly, but it seems to run so I guess that's good.

Submitted

It seems like some don't know how to export to linux/windows/mac/html5 or just don't bother trying :D

Submitted

"just don't bother trying" I'm one of them. :/ Exported Windows only, but I was busy.

Guess it should be a condition too for next jam (Win, Mac, and Linux at least), but I'm not sure if there can be some problems between different OS-s. I know HTML5 is a mess sometimes. Also devs can't test the game on OS-s they don't have.

Submitted (1 edit)

I exported to all platforms (excluding mobile) but it is kinda of a "use at your own risk"(still, better than no export at all) :D anyway, imo i value much more a dev that at least tries to make a game cross-platform than one that only makes it to one platform ;) (an example of this behaviour of mine is that i only spend my money on games that support linux)

EDIT: for me HTML5 works fine on firefox/linux

Anyway, good luck :)

Submitted

You're right. I will export more for the next jam. :)

Submitted

you can still export after submitting, the only thing that you shouldn't do is add features :) On my spreadsheet of games i can't rate yours because you have neither Linux nor HTML5 export ;)

Submitted

Done. Exported for Win 32/64, Mac, Linux 32/64 and HTML5. HTML5 working in Firefox only though...

Submitted

Nice, thanks, i'll change my spreadsheet to include it :)

Submitted

I updated my submission too with a Linux build, but I have no idea if it works... HTML didn’t work for my game, I tried a few different methods.

Submitted

have you renamed the html file to index.html ? also which browser? firefox seems to work best

Submitted

I did. I tried zipping the file in different ways too, but no luck. I have not tried Firefox, but tried Chrome, Safari on iPhone and Edge. 

Submitted (1 edit)

chrome is known for not working correctly, try firefox

Submitted

I'm one of the guilty, my bad. T_T - I didn't realize the pck was needed, but added it once someone pointed it out.

I would suggest uploading the .pck separately in case you don't have the time to export to all platforms. That way, users can just drop it next to a Godot executable and boot up the game. Just make sure to specify _exactly_ which version should be used.