Play gameVisit Stand Behind the Chair's game page
Ranked from 10 ratings. Score is adjusted from raw score by the median number of ratings per game in the jam.
How does your submission match the theme?
=== WARNING - HEAVY DUTY SPOILERS BELOW, I STRONGLY SUGGEST PLAYING BEFORE READING ===
The game does not focus on multiple purpose _mechanics_ but rather multiple purposes and ambiguity in different areas of game _design_ like character development, plot and level design.
Because of the very limited, yet still vague and misleading, exposition throughout the game, the chair - despite being the only actual object within it - plays multiple roles in the game world. At times it seems like it's tied to the protagonist, another person, an event, at other times - to a painful memory. Sometimes it seems to be the villain of the story or a represantation thereof, at other times it seems more connected to the protagonist (or is it the protagonist itself?) and it feels soothing to finally see it intact. Maybe it's an allegory, maybe it's not, maybe it doesn't even matter.
Other than that, the title is also the objective at every stage of the game - the only one you need to progress, contributing to the overall minimalism in gameplay.
Engine: Unreal Engine 4
Assets from outside sources:
a) Graphical assets:
- postcard clipart (CC0, https://openclipart.org/detail/267431/postcard-airmail-with-stamp)
- blood decal clipart (CC0, https://openclipart.org/detail/192066/blood)
- pattern wallpaper image (CC0, https://pixabay.com/pl/wz%C3%B3r-t%C5%82a-linie-paski-%C5%BC%C3%B3%C5%82ty-tapety-1604717/)
- Wooden Chair model (CC0, https://etechstudios.itch.io/assets-woodchair)
- Wood Oak, Glass, Ground Gravel materials, Fire particle system (UE4 Standard Assets, https://www.unrealengine.com/eula)
- "Bluezone Abyss", "Bluezone Dspace", "WI- Log thrown on wood bunch", "Just Whoosh", "HumBuzz_Buzz" audio clips (from the Sonniss Game Audio Monthly packs, http://www.sonniss.com/gameaudiomonthly/)
- "Rain_Light", "roll_over_01", "wood_large_shatter_01", "roll_over_01", "roll_over_03", "confirm_01", "cancel_01", "cancel_03" audio clips (from the Madison Pike Audio Kit Asset Pack, acquired from a Humble Bundle, https://pastebin.com/Jc4YAeGt)
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.