SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How much do ratings matter ?

A topic by Bad Piggy created Aug 10, 2019 Views: 440 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

This is a legit doubt I have.....

Everyone ( including me :P ) is scrambling for ratings and feedback, but I honestly have a question about these ratings. This is my first jam so I'm a little confused.....

Do the number of rates you get actually matter ?

What if you get a lower number of rates but people vote you're game rather high ?

Is that better than having a high number of rates where people submitted some mixed votes ?

Submitted

I checked these out; this helped me to have an answer.

https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2018/results

https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-jam/results

Submitted (1 edit)

I checked the ratings from last year. There is a median being calculated, something like average number of ratings but with weird stochatisc math. Last year it was 8 rates in median. This year it might be a bit more.
But in the top 100 were games with only eight to ten votes. All of them were 5 stars though. But so the total amount doesn't really matter. I think the amount of ratings just have to be higher than this median. 

In other words 10 five star votings might be better than 30 - 50 votes with an average of 3.5. 

Correct me of I'm wrong.

Submitted

I'd say ratings can be useful to know on average if people thought your game had strong design or not, but i think the feedback comments are what matters most to have a direct "review" of what works or not in your game, also this can vary depending on people and their tastes.

Submitted

Yeah......feedback is definitely the best :)

Submitted

Feedback is indeed more important than the ratings (to have an idea if your game has potential or not).

But of course at the same time everyone wants to have a chance to be featured in the final video of Mark and sadly that's only possible via ratings. And as far as I know games with not enough ratings will be corrected negatively, so it's better to have at least 20 ratings or so?