SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

explain something to me

A topic by The nush created Aug 09, 2019 Views: 174 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6

anything

Submitted

Well, a complete sentence in formal English differs from typical spoken English in having an arbitrarily chosen set of elements of a completed thought, as decided by stuck up logicians and grammarian ranging from 1 to 2 centuries ago. Later, they also took what was originally the notation used by pastors writing their sermons to indicate intended delivery and came up with "styles" that any properly educated speaker of English should use. Today, the combination of the these elements have mainly been collected by three authorities on the matter, two of who started back when the written word was becoming more universally understood and one that formed its authority more recently. These 3 authorities are the Oxford Style Manual, the Chicago Style Manual, and the one from the Associated Press that I forget the name of. Eventually, teachers and pedants then completely forgot that these were recommendations of style and started rudely "correcting" people with claims that their chosen style, whether actually fitting any of the aforementioned 3 or not, was objectively correct.

One such rude "correction" would be to tell you that you "forgot" to capitalize your sentence, that you "forgot" to use a period at the end, and that your actual post is a mere fragment. Notice that none of these "corrections" actually matters in the slightest, given that your post is still easily understood by anyone with even a passing fluency.

It is also very important to understand that none of the above authorities, respected or otherwise, are made up of or related to any linguists. So they don't actually have any reason to know what they're talking about.

[in an annoying youtube voice] That was all. If you enjoyed this explanation, please play, rate and comment. https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/460395

Submitted

anything

/ˈɛnɪθɪŋ/

pronoun
pronoun: anything

used to refer to a thing, no matter what. "nobody was saying anything"

used for emphasis. "I was ready for anything"

used to indicate a range. "he trains anything from seven to eight hours a day"

I hoped this helped you with your issue.

If it did then repay me by playing my game?

https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/461710

Submitted

There is some historical evidence that explain that some Roman's believed in feeding a sacred chicken before battle, if the chicken ate it was a good one otherwise you would probably lose the battle. During one of Romes first naval battles the chicken wouldn't eat, the commander got so mad he threw the chicken overboard. The battle was a devastating loss.

I may need to fact check as I only heard about this from a history podcast but I thought it would be interesting.

Submitted

Hydraulics and Electronics are very similar in their equations and how you solve the systems of equations. Civil engineers and electrical engineering students do well in each other classes (compared to others) due to the concepts of current, flow, resistance being shared. 

My game is about puzzles tho: https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/461185

Submitted

The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.