SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

A bug that IS a feature. Anyone else?

A topic by CozyStorm created Aug 05, 2019 Views: 314 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted

Has it happened to anyone else? 

In [Our game "One by One"] some bug caused to change the ending of the game COMPLETELY, like, reverse of what I expected. I figured it out only after the submission time ended, and, you know what... that worked well. The single bug in scene changed the meaning of the game! Still, the gameplay and how it feels in general is more important but still, the game itself made me think, even after I created and played it. I don't want to spoil or send images of how the ending looks so if you get to it, leave me a message about what you think about it

Does your game have "bugs that is a feature"? Let everyone know in the comments, I would like to play such games cause its most fun :)

P.S. Here's a cover of the game to grab your attention :) 

Submitted (1 edit)

In my game "the last safe room" some monsters can get stuck in walls. But I let that in because it's funny to destroy a wall only to find out a monster was hiding just there ^^.

(btw, good thread idea)

Submitted (2 edits)

This isn't really a game-changing bug but in my game, certain gun upgrades persist through playthroughs, even after you die, only resetting when you win the game.

https://prox276.itch.io/upgraded

After realising this I just called it a method to make the game easier. I'd go as far as to say that most of my games' mechanics came random mishaps.

Submitted (1 edit)

during the development of our game when there was 3-4 hours left we ran into a issue were the enemy was healing the player when he was low on health which made us reconsider the design in the end it didn't made the cut as it just added more confusion and made the concept harder to grasp, but it made us add a constant countdown after realizing how much having to constantly having to add time made the game more intense and made the player have to make split time decision

https://geppetto.itch.io/1-minute-of-fishing

Submitted(+1)

A bit weak but in level 4 of our game the difficulty rises and the solution to that level is cleverly hidden by the camera perpective. I was the one who made that level and did not take that into account when we changed the default camera orientation for all the levels before shipping, I'm being praised for a level design perks I did not predict haha 

Try it if you want https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/462077

Submitted

We made a puzzle top-down shooter where there's a rock-paper-scissors relationship between colors. 

Colors are important because all enemies have them, and the main character can absorb them and shoot a tainted bullet afterwards.

To help the player remember the relationship between colors, we included the following image in the room's carpet:

Now, this image should not change at all (and does not, during the game). When we recorded the below GIF, however, we saw something was off with the shield's colors.  

They somehow change, resembling & highlighting the win/lose relationship of the color currently absorbed by the player! 

This is genius! We realized we could also have another little indicator somewhere on screen that highlights this same relationship, as well as the shield in the middle (or perhaps only use the shield and change the alpha on the unused colors so that they remain there for the player to see -- something along those lines), making the game even more intuitive.

So yeah, someone else's bug became our feature :D .

If you're interested in becoming Juan the Jelly Knight and puzzling your mind with some colorful action, we'd love for you to try out our game!

Please rate us here

Also, if you reply to this post with your game link, I will also play/rate it!

Thanks for playing! 

Submitted (1 edit)

My friend was playing through my game today and ended up stuck on a level because it wouldn't let him use the left and right arrow keys at the same time. He got around this using another bug, where he clicked off of the screen and let go of the left arrow, clicked back on, and pressed the right arrow. It wasn't exactly a new feature but I did try and encourage the player to explore new was to use their controls so I think, as a bug, it fit into the game pretty well.

You can check it out (hopefully bug free for you) here https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019/rate/463668