SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Not a lot of FINISHED games here...?

A topic by boymakesnoise created Feb 05, 2018 Views: 838 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Submitted(+1)

Hi all!

Not to be picky, but in addition to finally getting the incentive to finish my own game, I was looking forward to playing actual finished (albeit small) games from other people. After playing through some entries in this jam it seems to be a lot of "I'll finish this later"-mentality. In my humble opinion, learning to finish something, release it and walk away from it and onto the next ting is part of the creative experience and is something that we all should practice in order to get better.

Don't know if you all agree with me?

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Haven't got the time to check out many games but I think I know what you mean. Well, I hope my game feels complete enough, haha. On the other hand, everyone needs to evaluate their own goals. Throughout development of my game, I was asking myself is this the whole thing? Is this feature complete? And I would love to add more stuff and continue working on polishing little details etc. but there is a point where you have to say stop, I'm satisfied, ship it, and move on. As for me, I'm pretty happy that I managed to really go back to my project and wrap it up within a month. Having it very half-baked on my hard drive was driving me nuts.

All in all game jams can teach you a lot of stuff about how to manage your time, priorities, how development under pressure feels like. I hope as much people learned some good lessons on this. Doing games is fun, but finishing them is a real struggle.

Submitted

A lot of these are toys or little beginner projects, so I try to have some leniency...  Though I agree, it's sometimes a slog digging through some of the stuff to find the games with a little more put into them.  Don't like to judge too many by their cover, but I also don't have time to play 100 games. D:

HostSubmitted(+1)

I think maybe you have a fair point that a lot of games are not the highest quality, but I think the relaxed rules encourage people to submit who maybe would have been a bit scared to do so for a bigger jam like Ludum Dare.  So probably a lot of young/inexperienced people, or those getting something done for the first time.  Sometimes getting something a bit crappy out there and having a few people play it can mean a lot if you've never done it before, so I'm happy to help with that!

I think there are a lot of jams out there that are much stricter with the rules, so I always felt I wanted this one to be more relaxed.  Maybe that translates to more half-finished things, experiments, toys and betas etc?  I don't think I necessarily mind though, as quite a few people have said "I didn't get it finished by I got further than I ever have before".  I would call that a win.

I'd like to keep doing this jam, but I am more interested in it helping people to get motivated and achieve something, rather than it becoming a well known or big thing.  Not sure if that is noble or naive, but either way it probably means  that the games won't all be amazing, and we maybe need to be a bit lenient when judging. 

Submitted

You have a very valid point, thanks for replying. If this jam helped people evolve in their craft, who am I to berate them for that :) 

Submitted

I can vouch for that! This is my first submission for any game jam—first game I've ever "put out there." The feedback has been incredible and the experience was well worth the hours to make the submission deadline. 

Submitted(+1)

Here, here. 

This jam is my first and really motivated me to get an MVP together. It's not 'finished-finished' but it is complete in itself. It has an end state and works most of the time. It's more the MVP that I'm proud of - that is to say, not finishing per se, but what I managed to leave out. The jam made me focus on creating an end level instead of voice acting and music. It's a tough trade but it meant I could show off a 'finished' game. I'd still be waiting for inspiration and health to align otherwise and the game, or demo if you like, may never get done. 

Submitted (1 edit)

It is called finally finish "something".  Maybe you should let the developer(s) know what they should do to make it a complete work, it that's something they're interested in. 

Submitted

Agreed,some of the game I played looks like a prototype only

Submitted(+2)

syntax bomb
evade
a birdman emulator
nomad z
larvis
explosive recycling corp

these are the ones so far that ive seen that are really complete and good.

As far as my side of things, my game is a prototype really, but I am definitely not walking away from it. I'm trying to actively work on it, and plan on adding a lot more as time goes on. I just didn't have enough time to finish it in one month.

Submitted

As long as it is a finished prototype, I believe it's valid; but I will certainly judge it against the merits of a prototype in comparison to a completed game, the effort I expect from a jam of this length and the quality of other entries. I also tend to take into consideration the tool and what would it allow the creator to do and how long before the deadline it was submitted.

To sum it all - I like to recognize effort; if I reward lazy entries, there is no incentive for others to grow.

Hope this doesn't feel too harsh (what can I do - I'm an old fart... "now, get off my lawn, damn kids!")

Submitted

I think the real question is "what am I finishing". In my case, I was finishing a feature submission to an open source game engine for review. That's not the same as a finished feature, but it is finished in the sense of completing what I set out to do during the month. Though I do get your point, and I think that's the real intent of the jam. It's what we should strive for, but different people have different goals, and the keyword for me in Finally Finish Something was the "Something" part.