Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Foddian playtesting

A topic by Besteres created Aug 07, 2023 Views: 217 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted

I'm curious how you guys went on testing your features in a Foddian game, luckily I had people to suffer for me (to know if it was even possible to beat my own game) and even though I have this ammount of experience in my own game, I still haven't beat it!

Can someone relate? xD

Hey ! I personnaly had some playtests for my game but also for testing level parts I made sure to spawn the player at the highest I achieved each time I made a new part of the level, I was struggling at first by the punishing aspect of falling but now I became good at my game and manages to end to the top one every 2 or 3 tries if I play safely, still I fail a lot when I speedrun but I am starting to get decent times I feel!

Submitted

That was a really good way to testing it, I should have thought of a cheat to do that as well when testing with friends instead of always manually teleporting myself there ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Submitted (1 edit)

I made cheats for myself so I could teleport to any part, and then only playtested single parts instead of the whole thing at once. I'm not very good at gaming so I can definitely relate lol

Submitted

It will definitely be interesting if those speedruners pick on our games, or any random streamer or you tuber really, people develop some weird and effective strategies often blowing our minds

Submitted

I playtested myself and I have to admit I also haven't beaten the whole thing in one go, but I added a "Training Mode" to the game such that you can set your own checkpoints to restart from, which helps with, well, training. (Score submitting is disabled in this mode)

Submitted

That was really smart, as I said in a previous reply to someone, I should have thought of doing that as well, but I would always manually teleport myself, Really cool that you can relate as well xD

Submitted(+1)

I enabled teleportation for the player to be able to get back to where I fell, but other than that I made every jump as normal. I believe I would have dropped the jam if I had to play my game from the beginning every time

Submitted(+1)

I literally just didn't have enough time to test everything in one go. I placed my player at the part I was testing and went from there. Also had someone suffer for me to fix a few parts of the game.

Submitted(+1)

I would test each jump individually to see if it's possible then move to the next one (by moving the player in the scene).  I couldn't even manage to beat the entire game by myself but I'm 100% sure it's beatable. I'm just very bad at it.

Submitted(+1)

I honestly don't entirely remember how I playtested my game to make sure every jump was do-able, the development process is all a blur now. I know I tried to keep the controls relatively easy and made the map layout more forgiving for the player as well as myself. I think I had some ideas for obstacles in mind but generally managed to build the majority of the map from the ground up in just a handful of revisions. 

I did drag the player in the editor window to certain parts of the map when I needed to test or practice certain sections but also tried doing a full run through of the game every once in a while. When working on the final jumps and ending to my game I dragged the player up to a position I knew could get to and just went forward from there.

I didn't stress too much on raising the level of difficulty as you climbed higher in my game, I more so just raised the stakes. My ultimate rationale though was that if I could do it then you could too, and I think it worked out pretty well.