The Bakeoff Olympics are a big deal! One pastry citizen, Cinnaroll, is striving to get the gold in the track event! However, her last coach is taking a sabbatical, and she can't manage her time very well. She needs a new coach, and that's you!
Rise to the Top, Cinnaroll! is a strategy/time management game that I'm hoping will be similar to games like Princess Maker 2 and Long Live the Queen. The biggest difference, obviously, is that instead of scheduling classes and jobs for girls to become princesses (and also hopefully not die during the process, haha), you're a personal trainer for an upcoming athlete so that she can win the gold in the Bakeoff Olympics! Will you be able to manage Cinnaroll's time well for her to achieve her lifelong dream, or will you fall short? Worse yet, will you be unable to manage her time at all, forcing Cinnaroll to fire you and look for a more competent coach? It all depends on you, coach!
Gamemaker Studio (I wanna learn how to code!)
Cinnaroll is one tough cookie – er, cinnamon roll! She's got moxie and snark and isn't afraid to show it, but she also has a good heart. Don't be fooled by the tactless way she speaks, she's really looking forward to training with you!
Cinnaroll is an old character I created a few years ago, but I decided to recycle the character and use her here!
Minimum Viable Product:
My main goal is to just get SOMETHING out there and done with. So, for a game like this, I'm thinking that this must be the minimum that has to be done:
- Simple buttons that will raise and lower certain variables
- A test that if a variable is over a specific amount, then the player wins the test
- If a variable is down for a specific amount of time, then the player loses
Basically, from what I can gather so far, this will be a game that's focused around variables and adding/subtracting from them. I'm hoping that I didn't miss anything, but if you have an idea on what else needs to be here for the minimum viable product, then please let me know! ...only if you want to, though, I'm not your mom, I can't tell you what to do.
What I'd like to add:
Just to make the game more interesting, once I can get the minimum viable products in place, I'll work on these next. Obviously, don't expect all of these ideas to come in – I haven't even begun to think about coding these in yet at the time of writing this! I'll add more, though, if I come up with any more ideas.
- A calendar system – the Bakeoff Olympics is a few months away! Spend your time wisely!
- Multiple sport choices – choose which sport in the Bakeoff Olympics you want Cinnaroll to participate in. Each sport has a different set of stats that you must have a high variable at!
- Good reputation variable? – A variable that the higher it is, the nicer townsfolk and the competition are to Cinnaroll.
- An intro cutscene – something that shows Cinnaroll dragging you into making you be her coach. A skip intro button will also be implemented here!
- The ability to talk with Cinnaroll - depending on how she's feeling and what her highest stats are, she'll have something different to say.
I definitely don't want to make the scope on this too high – I have a tendency to make things that are too ambitious for me. I'm just gonna focus first on making sure the core mechanics work before I put on any bells and whistles.
Thanks for reading this very long intro post! I'm hoping that I'll be able to post up what I did today tonight. I'm pretty excited to really dive into this!