Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Crazy to think this is my first game jam!

A topic by Defauldt Studio created 29 days ago Views: 354 Replies: 17
Viewing posts 1 to 14
Submitted(+2)

How many game jams have you taken part in?
How long have you been making games and in what engine?

I've been making games for well over 10 years now, and started focusing solely on Unity almost 10 years ago.

Submitted(+2)

I started learning UE5 last month and I am participating in this first game jam so that it forces me to learn more and finish a game. So far, I have learned about 3D games, I want this game jam to be an opportunity to learn 2D development as much as possible so that I have an overall idea of both in UE5 :D  Hope I can make something playable. I am sure you will do very fine with your 10 years of experience! glhf

Submitted(+1)

That's awesome!

I look forward to seeing what you make.
Thanks, glhf to you too. :D 

Submitted(+1)

im making games for a year in unity and its also my first jam

Submitted(+1)

I have been making games since December and this is my 6th jam but missed the deadline on one of them. I have used Unity for the first, Gamemaker for the second and third, and Godot for the rest.  I am making my first 3D game for this jam.

Submitted

Do you have a quick reaction to your favorite engines, having tried several?

Submitted(+1)

For my first project, I started with game maker, but it was not doing what my teammates were wanting it to do, so we switched to unity. It was an incomplete game, but playable somewhat. For the next project I used game maker and got a semi-playable game working. I have really liked playing with Godot. There have been bugs, like in my first 3D game which is this one, with grid maps and assets not working properly. I did resolve that issue but had to use blender to do it. I am working on a YouTube short to explain the issue and resolution. But also I had to update Godot to 4.3 dev6. I was originally using 4.2.1. 

Godot has been a lot more versatile and works well.

Submitted

Thanks for the feedback! I keep wandering into Godot, but closing it quickly.

I can get quick results with Game Maker, so I keep doing it because it's fun.

Submitted(+1)

This is my 5th game jam. I do them when I need a break from crunching and I always do the GameDev.TV jams. That's where I got my start coding.

Submitted(+2)

Been doing Unity for a year and this is my first game jam ! But for those who are doing next year's gamedev.tv jam don't be suprised if I'm using Unreal ! Because yes, I'm doing it I'm switching to Unreal for a handful of reasons. We will see how much I'll have learned by next game jam ;)

Submitted(+1)

I dabbled in Unity 10 years ago. And followed a GameDev.tv Unreal tutorial 2 years ago. 
But when I received the email about the jam, I say "let's go with Godot" (seems a bit simpler to complete a project).
So first jam with 2 weeks of gamedev under my wings :)

Submitted(+2)

This is my 4th game jam, but my first as a dev (I was an artist in the other 3 and we ran out of time in each of them so nothing was ever submitted).

I tried learning UE last year but gave up after a few weeks when everything still made no sense to me. I started learning Godot in October and thankfully it started making sense pretty quickly. I'm using Godot 4.2 for this jam.

Submitted

First jam... started with unity a few years ago, but lost interest after a few tutorials. Heard last year about godot and gave it a try, did a few tutorials too and even started one of my game ideas and soon realized that I would need way way more custom assets than I was comfortable making. Bought a few humblebundle  gamedev.tv courses a few weeks ago which I liked and saw this jam by accident. I planned using mostly finished asset packs because my passion is coding, not art.

While I am coding for over 30 years, I never made a game bigger than flappy bird by myself, so I am very happy I am finally getting started.

As the jam started it didn't take long to click for my idea. Found a suitable asset pack and gave it a go. Currently I am good on "system" progress, and a little behind on content. I hope that I'll get at least three levels more done and the sounds/music by sunday so I can spend the rest of the time on polish :)

Submitted

i use unity for a year an this is my first jam 

Submitted

First jam evah.

I've been games for several years in Game Maker and I've dabbled in Unity.

Submitted

My first ever game jam! I've been messing around in Unity for a little less than a year, but this is my first non-tutorial/course project. I'm considering switching to unreal though.

I published my itch page yesterday but have since found some bugs/upgrades that I want to do. 1.1 patch incoming =).

Submitted

This is my first game jam. I watched 10 hours of ClearCode introduction to Godot 4 video and really wanted to start creating something of my own rather then continuing following a tutorial and I just so happened to see this game jam

Submitted

It's also my first game jam and my first bigger project in Godot. Didn't think I could pull this off in this short amount of time but now I'm pretty confident as I'm already working on sound and some QoL things.