SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What course are you going to get?

A topic by Dev created Jun 03, 2023 Views: 401 Replies: 17
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted

Hey people!

I am curious as to what courses people will get as their free one from participating  in the jam? Have any good or bad experiences with ones you have completed?

I'm personally a bit torn between the Xcom-like turn based strategy one, the Skills and Abilities RPG course, or the Unity mobile one. I honestly don't care much for some of the more youtube-like ones that are the most recent entries to the catalog, but it would be nice to hear if anyone had good or bad impressions from the ones I'm thinking about. Also, I'm sure everyone would like to hear the same for ones they might be thinking of! Some could also be showing their age a bit, and I think it would be useful for people to know.

Anyhow, thanks for the gamejam!

Submitted (2 edits)

I have bought my the the unreal bundle and now doing the c++ fundamentals course (that's also my first one), I have a good experience and 
I want the Math for Video Games course or maybe the Unreal Engine Multiplayer Master Course.

For you I would say only buying the mobile course, if you can imagine for creating mobile games,
if not then  the turn based strategy one, because I think the other course is part of a serie and I would prefer to do the other courses before, even if you get the code of these courses provided

Submitted

Hey! I feel the mobile course is just for that dream a lot of people have to publish some games, get income, and fund further making them. I have done Godot games that work on mobile, but would have some concern as I watch the GDTV forums and have seen that things like the Ad model in Unity has changed since the course was made.

Submitted

Very likely  the Godot 4 course they just launched. I actually have several Unreal and Unity courses from bundles, and SEVERAL Blender courses (which I really need to just sit down and do) but Unity and Unreal seemed really intimidating.

I did the Scratch course just before this jam (part of one of the bundles) and got hooked. Godot 4 seems the next logical step up.

Submitted(+1)

Kaan Alpar is the instructor for that course. He has a couple free Godot 4 tutorials on youtube. You might want to look those up to see if his teaching style fits you.

Submitted

Ah nice. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out!

Submitted

I have to completely agree with CGQQL. It's very good advice.

I've actually went through the Godot course. If you look at my itch profile, I actually used his youtube tutorial on making a Flappy Bird in Godot 3 as the basis for my GDTV 2022 entry and credited him on the Spooky Ghost page. 

I've had no experience with Scratch, but I feel the Godot course does put things out in a way that makes sense as a progression.

Submitted

Ah sounds good. I gave it a go....and remembered why I hate Flappy Birds (which means you did it right lol).

Scratch is super simple drag code 'blocks' (literally) into position and connect them together. I was watching a couple tutorials already on Godot 4 and it looks really good. Significantly more complex, but it all looks complex at first.

If I decide to go with a different free course, I'm not sure what I would go with offhand. I have most of the Blender courses already via HumbleBundle, The GIMP course could be interesting since I've always struggled learning it and since I plan to do mostly 2D games, it might be better in some cases than rendering out assets in Blender.

Submitted

I want the AI Combat and traversal, the guy teaching is the same as the Unity mobile and I liked that course. As for the RPG's all are excellent. I have not the X-Com like one.

Submitted

I remember you and your game from the jam!

Would you say that the mobile course would be current and relevant? I do want to consider the X-com like. The Youtube-style vs the earlier GDTV ones where ideas were presented as an aside rather than changing code only to delete it shortly after makes me really torn on what to choose, though.

Submitted(+1)

Oh its nice of you to remember me. I have played nearly all browser games and many downloadables. I am really really mentally tired :DD I have seen things you don't want to see :D

Anyways, I don't have the x-com but in the Unity mobile there is a refactor because Unity changed the ad API. And its in version 2020 so I guess there will be some more changes? I don't know I found the mobile coding a little bit tricking and out of my waters.

If you want to build a mobile game I believe its still relevant.

If you want the most value course though  I suggest go with CodeMonkeys. I have his strategy course and its pretty legit.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

I appreciate the insight!

Thank you!

Also, man... I bet you are tired!!! You have over 200 ratings your your game. You got out there and put in the work!

I think that's almost worth more than getting the game in!

Submitted

Wait, you can choose?

Submitted

Yup, as far as I know you can pick any course from their site. Not just game dev/coding specific stuff (eg: You could pick The Complete Blender Creator 3  course if you want).

Submitted

I would really like to get the Unity 2D RPG: Complete Combat System. I have an idea for a mobile game that I think this could provide loads of valuable knowledge towards. Also its less than 11 hours of content which suits my appetite perfectly.  I'm still only about 55% of the way through the Complete C# Unity 2D course on Udemy and that feels like it has an eternity of content. 

Submitted

Math course, for improving skills essential one

Submitted

do you get to choose--- or are they just going to give a specific one out?   i never understood that for sure.

Submitted

Last year you were able to choose the course you wanted, I'm sure it will be the same this year. :)