Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Please add ranking

A topic by Brandon JS Lea created Apr 16, 2020 Views: 568 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 7

Ranking just adds extra insensitive/motivation for people who are into that kind of thing. If you're not, it can just be ignored. 

HostSubmitted(+3)

Hi there Brandon!

Thanks for your suggestion. While I understand that you might find that extra motivation rewarding, I don't think it's a positive thing. It turns a collective creative effort into a competition and makes most people behave in a different way. It can make some users feel intimidated, push others to crunch and even discourage others from experimenting (among several other things).

There are lots of jams that have a ranking system (like Ludum Dare, which starts tomorrow), I think it's nice that we have both types of jams. This won't be one with a ranking system.

Submitted

Is there any way we can get some sort of way to see the more polished and top games of the jam? Personally one of my favorite things to do is play the top entries.

HostSubmitted(+4)(-1)

A ranking is subjective, just browse the entries when the jam is over and play the ones that catch your eye.

People are subjective, too, though, aren't we? As are games.

I think that Brandon means "incentive" rather than "insensitive".

L.J.

Submitted(+2)

You made me LOL XD

I live to entertain. [tips hat to lady or gentleman.]

[({L.J.)}]

(+1)

Honestly: now that the submission period is over, a ranking system might give us a chance to get exposure for our games, since it does create insensitive (incentive) for our fellows to play and to provide feedback for the Arcade. It might help.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

what i've resorted to doing is playing other peoples games. leaving detailed feedback on how i might go about improving on their concept.
and ive had over half of them at least subconsciously want to and do check out my game. to see what this guy that critiques there work is actually any good at making games.

leave a link for your jam game and ill give it a play.

heres mine if you would be so kind as to play it https://itch.io/jam/dream-arcade-archive/rate/633164

I like your style, but I think that some of us are pushing for a bit more of a direct approach: More disclosure, more objectivity, based upon subjectivity. It's not that we want people to feel put down. But a lot of us can use some uplifting as well. Leveling* often does neither. At any rate, if no one gives me any feedback I just end up overcompensating and getting an infectious migraine.

Lin Ji.

*not to be confused with Leveling Up or Down.

Submitted

totally agree with that. hence the world resorted in my previous post. marketing a game is always a challenge though as you have to compete against people that by default have more influence than you. 

lets go over a worst case scenario. 

your game is submitted  somewhere in the middle of the submission order so searching with filter option  submission order and recently submitted are both equally worthless when trying to find you game. lets say the game's name starts with Z so an alphabetical search would put it last, lets assume the cover is a screen shot of the game with some text over it as with most of my games, as its a low effort option and can be done in a short time span.  (if you submit your game minutes before the jam ends like i always seem to  do, you probably don't have the time to do a cover ).

lucky for us itch.io has a search term for popular, problem is people need to find it click on it. and with the poor placement of our game in the other search fields the likelihood of coming across it is not looking great.  

so, doing nothing to market our game, unless its a true gem of a game and people go mad and tell all there friends and post on social media and do all the marketing work for you(which is highly unlikely unless its a AAA game from a known studio), will probably mean no one gets to see it.  

so a more direct approach in order to get more people clicking on your game is to spread out links. the more chances of people coming across a link to your game the more people will click on it.  so in order to spread you games you need to find places to comment or post  about your game. but people don't like it when your going onto there game page and trying to draw some of the viewers away with a link to your own game. 

so I've concluded the best solution to this problem is to show that you know what you are talking about when it comes to game development, through critique and praise as well as helpful comments that they could use to improve there game, and then hope that after you've gone through all that effort they are kind enough to try out your game, a click would boost your position is the popular search term making it more and more likely to get viewed.  

a rating system should allow for more search tags to be applied to the games. ( for example  "platformer" and then that gets its own ranking system based on how good of a platformer it is. you could use the tags already  on the games to filter which rating tags it would use, so a guitar hero clone wouldn't be rated as a platformer) allowing people to search for and therefore play games that they would enjoy. but i think they fear is that people would only play the highest ranking games and the everyone else has to fight for positions. which isn't encouraging for new comers or people that are still learning the ropes.

(+1)

I don't participate in this because no ranking. You got no reason to play and rate the games and see the best one. And the most sad part is the Best One maybe never get the  attention it will deserve . Honestly arcade games have competitive nature and this no ranking kill the vibe for me.  

you are a red toad against a beige background.

Jam HostSubmitted

If you really find no reason to play, rate and comment games in playing, enjoying, commenting, improving and helping other improve, learning and discovering other people's point of view and experiences...

you're in luck! itch is trying a new order in jam submissions where if you filter by random it actually does some aglorithm dark magic where it shows the games in order from best to worst (or worst to best, I'm not sure).

HostSubmitted(-1)

Speaking of jams, just major ones like Ludum Dare can draw some traffic to your game. And even then, that's a low amount of clicks compared to sources like reddit, press and curators. Having a ranking wouldn't help with visibility. It's great that you want to promote your games (and it's a thing I totally encourage you to do) but look for that on the proper places, where it can draw a good chunk of traffic. Try uploading it to other websites, talk to game portals about licensing, send a pressnote, post it on reddit and create some buzz on twitter.

If it's not getting enough traffic maybe it's because it's not eye-catching enough. Or maybe the gif you made could be better. Maybe it's the game itself, nowadays people have lots of amazing games to play, it's hard to get visibility. Just keep trying. Promoting your  work is like making it, it requires a lot of time and patience

Start with yout itch page. Make it nicer. Change the theme options. Find the best tags. Complete all the metadata.