Tags

First JAM ever!!!!!!1111!!1 - any tips from the pros

A topic by Deleted Account created Feb 10, 2020 Views: 448 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Deleted post
(+1)

Yo im stoked gg hope you win also my first 

Submitted(+1)

Get proper sleep and keep your scope small. You’ll do great :)

Submitted (1 edit) (+3)

Tips I learnt from last jam:

If working in 3D : art should be low poly

If 2D: make it simple

Post-processing is must

Make game easy to understand and less repeatative and most important have FUN 

Eager to see your submission, goodluck cheers

Submitted

Seems about right.

(1 edit) (+1)

Keep it simple, keep your scope small. Eat good food, drink enough, sleep when you cannot keep awake. At the end remember to add music and sounds to your game. Oh, and a way to get out of your game, when the player has finished playing it (A quit button/ or a pause  menu)

Submitted(+1)

Do something new!
Game jams are awesome for doing new things, especially since you have a deadline it motivates you and you don't work weeks on something that MIGHT not be good. Make sure you learn at least a few things from it and it definitely wll have been worth it!

DO NOT make an inventory system... DONT!!

Keep it a bit small, work on one or two mechanics. Sometimes less is more, this ALWAYS counts for game jams.... ALWAYS

Anyways overall just have fun, try to learn some things and do something new! If your game isn't great upload it anyway! Might just get some constructive feedback! Most people in the gamedev community are very nice!

Deleted post
Submitted

Don't worry about art.

Last 2 game jams I was in, some of the top ten games were games with just simple shapes (like a square character platforming game)  

They had great game juice, like particles, screen shake, and squishy animations.

Also. play in browser games get literally triple the amount of plays/comments/feedback.

Use post-processing

Follow some things by brackeys from his YouTube channel

Finish the entire game before even thinking about aesthetics whether that be art or music.