Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Post your progress!

A topic by Impy created Feb 07, 2021 Views: 1,552 Replies: 37
Viewing posts 1 to 13
Submitted(+3)

We're about a week in and I think this might be a good spot to share some slightly funny looking early development screenshots and concept art. If you want to keep your project secret, that's fine too, just post a cryptic teaser for everyone to puzzle over instead. This may also be a good thread to get some early feedback on something you're not quite sure about.

For my own project this year, I'm making a party-based minesweeper adventure puzzle game.

What the published game may resemble somewhat. The icons on the bottom right will house items some day soon.
Early character sketches that will in all likelihood never make it to the finished game. Also some shading style variations I went through while deciding how the game should look.

Now it's your turn. I really want to see what the other 122 of you are cooking!

Submitted(+4)

I love your initial sketches! This is the slime queen for my current adventure ( so far), and a small snipper of the finished script:

You hesitantly approach the slime queen and reach a hand out, cupping her breast gently. The appendage is warm with a surprising weight.

SQ: So gentle, but I think I need a bit more, don鈥檛 you?

She puts her hands on yours and gives it a little squeeze.

SQ: Touch me darling <3

it'll have a branching story and I hope people will like it!

Submitted

Thank you! 

I like the art direction you're taking. Are you planning something that's more of a visual novel style game or more of an RPG/adventure game?

That slime queen's going to need a crown though. The best part of holding titles are the complimentary funny hats 馃憫

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Thanks! The original inspiration was a sexy retro dungeon crawler with pixel graphics, but after writing the script it is more of a visual novel with branching choices on the kinds of sexy things you want to do with the slime queen. 

And thats a good point! I'll add some more detail later. It's my first time doing large pixel art like this so it's difficult, I'm hoping the time crunch won't ruin the game too badly. I'm still searching for good slime sex sounds. (Wow that's a sentence I never thought I would write).

The idea of a party minesweeper game is cool!

Submitted(+2)

I'm working on a dating sim where you choose between a man, an alien, and an AI.  It has the very creative name of The Man, The Alien, and the AI.  I'm on the dating parts now (the excuse is they're going to a distant planet, it takes three days to get there, so they might as well sit around and flirt).  I have the AI and the man's first sequences written.  I'm happy with the man's bit, but the AI's bit might be too...personal?  Look, one of my tastes is an AI that enjoys overpowering humans.  This terrifies most people.  So it's a matter of writing him so that he's still sympathetic despite doing all the stuff that he's doing/enjoying.  Which makes for a nice bit of internal conflict for the character, at the very least.  Also, kind of stuck on the alien's personality.  He's supposed to be a handsome rogue with deeper bits, but I can't figure out what the deeper bits ARE without making him too angsty.

But other than that, it's going great and I'm having a great time!

(I'm a little shy about sharing visuals, since all the backgrounds are edited public domain photos and the sprites are all from a character builder (and I'm not 100% sure on any of them), so hopefully its okay if I don't post any pictures just yet)

Submitted

I really like the idea of a dating sim with exotic characters who have equally bizarre ways of thinking. I think you should really push that aspect of it instead of softening it up. You've already got the man as the vanilla choice, so I propose not holding back with how eccentric the personalities and appearance of the alien and the AI are.

Screenshots or visuals are by no means a requirement. Share whatever you're comfortable with!

Submitted(+1)

That's a fair point, and one I didn't think of.  Stick all the normal stuff with the normal guy, then go ham-wild with the other two.  If people don't like the AI or alien ideas and still go down their paths, then that's on them.  xD  Thanks for the advice!

Submitted(+3)

I'm working on a mouse-driven dungeon crawler! The horny bits are focused on butt stuff and large insertions. It's very plot relevant.

Hardly any content yet, but I've got a few systems working:

- click-to-move with grid-snapped pathfinding
- click-to-interact, which triggers the player to walk up to the interactable before firing the interaction
- an EventBus to handle communication between nodes
- a message window that scales to the size of the message and reveals the message a character at time, with an attached nameplate
- an event manager for nodes to queue up commands. Only commands implemented so far are "show message" and a couple different experimental "change scene" commands (e.g. just changing scenes directly vs push/popping a stack of scenes).
- an interactable mouse-driven lewd scene, focused on gradually easing in a large insertion without going so fast that it's painful
- a persistence manager where Nodes can register variables that need to be saved if the node is ever destroyed and reloaded (e.g. on map change)

Still to come are:
- a combat system
- a menu system for shopping
- a menu system for changing equipment (unless I just want equipment upgrades at the shop to be permanent)
- a random level generator for dungeon crawling, if I decide I want the areas randomly generated
- interactables and stuff for puzzles in dungeons (I've implemented this kind of thing before, it shouldn't be hard)
- actual content
- an audio system

The main things I'm worried about in terms of threats to the project are the combat system and menu system, which are both almost entirely new ground for me. I still don't have a clear picture of how complex I want combat to be. On the one hand I'm kind of interested in combat kind of like the first Dragon Quest game, which I think would be good for big "boss battle" style encounters. But on the other hand, I feel like they'd be pretty obnoxious to run into while in the middle of solving a puzzle in a dungeon.

I'm also worried that I'm seriously overengineering things, and I keep faffing around with rearranging nodes to find the "best" place instead of just making some damn content. A lot of it comes from my general frustration with the fact that Godot ties so much stuff to the structure of the scene graph. Sometimes I want a node to be a child of another node for *organizational* reasons, but I don't want the child's position and z-order to be tied to its parent. I also probably don't *need* everything to be working with signals and an EventBus; my last couple projects did just fine having nodes call each other directly.

Submitted

Good to see you back, I really liked your game from last year's jam! It sounds like you're working on something pretty fun. Set encounters are better than random encounters for games with puzzle elements in my opinion. Don't get too bogged down with the more complex systems, simple with lots of content is usually better than the opposite. 

Best of luck with this years game, I'll enjoy trying it out!

Submitted

This sounds so cool I can't wait to play it!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Update:

I've got a level generator working! It lays out a maze using Prim's algorithm, then replaces each cell of the maze with a randomly-selected prefab chunk of tiles that has the correct number of exits and entrances (currently I have 3 possible chunks per orientation, for a total of 48 prefab chunks). I also store the layout of the dungeon as a tree, and place the level exit and the key to the exit at 2 different leaf nodes. 

You can travel through each level, collect the key, unlock the exit, and climb the stairs to the next randomly generated level. That's enough to technically make it a game I think.

Levels can be as big as I want them, but somewhere around 8-12 cells feels about right I think. I don't know what else I'm actually going to throw into the levels except randomly placed enemies and loot.

I'll probably do the Persona 4 thing and have most floors be randomly generated, but with story-important floors premade.

Submitted(+1)

Really cool stuff! I like the chunks approach to level generation, it goes a long way towards making the dungeon feel organic. Prim's mazes tend to have lots of little dead end turns, which should be perfect for loot generation. Just hide it in chunks with 3 walls and put the traps and monsters in the other ones.

Submitted(+1)

Some real progress these last couple days. The dungeon generator is spawning slimes into the level now, which roam around randomly. I decided to go ultra simple with the combat system -- while you and the enemy are standing near each other, you both throw out autoattacks. The individual enemies are meant to be more of a form of resource attrition rather than a serious challenge. I do have more interesting enemy types planned as well though. Plus you'll get some consumable items like bombs that give you a little more combat flexibility.

I'm trying to make the game playable completely with the left mouse button, which definitely limits how much I can get out of the combat system.

Other stuff I got working includes transitioning between the dungeon and the town, visiting the blacksmith to upgrade weapons and armor, and a music manager. The player's footsteps sync to the beat of the song in dungeons, which I'm super excited about.

I just sat down and threw a bunch of features I want to implement into an issue tracker, and WOOF! 37 new issues of highly varying complexity. I am going to have to either cut scope a lot or continue the project beyond the end of the jam. 

Also here's some tiny concept art of the main character (purple) and her love interest (red):

Submitted(+1)

As expected, I really am having to cut back on scope on this quite a bit. Only have 1 of the 5 major interactive lewd scenes I wanted to implement done.

At least it's a vaguely satisfying, if very sparse, roguelite at this point. I've got 3 enemy types, consumable bombs and potions, and a skill meter that charges up to let you do a big AOE attack. Not much to do in each level except fight enemies and find the key to the exit though.

of the 80 issues in the issue tracker, 40 are closed, 16 are "do later", and 24 I want to try and get done by jam submission. Most are pretty small, like removing the navmesh under the staircase so you don't get stuck on it, or tweaking the price of potions. The big ones are a tutorial level and the rest of the intro cutscene.

Submitted(+1)

Haha, the last week crunch is really something. Just today I've made 6 of the 8 levels currently in my game. Same as you, I've been pushing adding lewds to the last minute. I've got some of the scenes drawn, but at the moment none of them are actually implemented.

Also my game has only just become playable outside of a test environment yesterday.

So you're not that far behind friend, we're crawling to the finish line together. Here's to the next 48 hours 馃

(+2)

I'm making an N64-styled side-scrolling 3D platformer in Godot about a slime girl who eats her enemies to get health and limited/temporary power ups. I actually wrote a devlog about it if anyone is interested! But here's a video showing my progress so far.

Submitted(+2)

The day 7 build looks very complete already from a gameplay standpoint. Awesome work!

Submitted(+3)

Looking good y'all. Keep up with the great work.

I've been working on a cooking themed game. You'll be preparing dishes from little food people. Here's some noodlesoup.

Submitted(+2)

She looks so cozy in there!

Submitted(+1)

That looks super neat!

Is it going to be more of a puzzle game where you try to find the correct way to cook each dish or more of a customization game with multiple paths?

Submitted(+1)

You'll be following orders on how to make the dishes. The challenge mainly comes from how quickly (and maybe how accurately) you can finnish the dishes.

I'm looking forwards to see how your game ends up, it looks interesting. 

Submitted

Oh so it's more of a mini-game speed challenge with different grades of success? That's definitely a genre I enjoy. I think that will work really well!

As for my own game, it already looks pretty different from the screenshot I posted. I'll attach an updated visual in the next couple of days.

Deleted 1 year ago
Submitted

I really like the look of it. I love pixel art but get too frustrated drawing it myself, so it's always a treat.

What's the gameplay cycle like?

Deleted 1 year ago
Submitted

So it's a battle cooking RPG then? Very nice!

Submitted(+2)

I thought I'd post a week 2 update for anyone curious. I've finally got most of my game's main systems working and picked an art style I'm happy with. You can direct party members to do stuff, talk to them, find items, use items and solve puzzle chains. From here I can finally start adding actual horny content into the game.

Big thanks to everyone who shared their hard earned progress in this thread so far. There's a lot of wonderful projects in the works this year and I am very excited to play them.

(+2)

I'm making a simple tile smasher game with main focus on watercolour horny illustrations

Everyone, please meet Amber ;)

I was struggling with finding an art style for the game elements/UI but after much experimentation I think I've finally struck something... Look out for some teasers anon

Submitted

Tile smasher like breakout? Or do you have something else in mind?

It will certainly have quite a unique style with the watercolor art!

Watch out with making the game too bright, watercolors tend to have a lot of white space in them which doesn't always translate as well to computer screens. You can add a very subtle beige paper texture overlay to the game screen to break up the overall brightness just a tiny bit.

(+1)

A bit like Breakout, but instead of ball bouncing back and forth you fling it towards the tiles, which have power ups and stuff. There is also a mechanic where you get to uncover each illustration to get those juicy details.

That's a super good tip with the paper texture, thank you!

Submitted(+2)(-1)
oh I furgot about this forum. I got plenty of stuff to share.
My game is a gay furry megaman like.
different tails give the fox different attacks.

Oh fuck I want play this it's so hot

Submitted(+2)

here's a screenshot from my twine in progress, i hope everyone is excited to read and click links!!
(actually dw there will probably be some cool illustrations so it's not just text (: )

Submitted(+3)

I am extremely amused by that "tits" square with a bunch of arrows pointing to it.

Submitted(+2)

update since yesterday - we have a new passage layout and three (3!) illustrations. it's all coming together...

Submitted

Looking at this twinemap is making me ridiculously happy, and I'm not sure why. It's just so organized, I adore it. Looking forward to your game!

Submitted(+2)

I didn't think I'd have much to post here, given that the state of my entry has been tumultuous (to say the least!), but I took a break from programming to focus on some art, and... it's too cute not to share. 

I don't think I've ever been proud of a lettering job, too, so there's that. The small words are placeholders, I'm not sure what to do with them to make them match the big fancy text. Lots left to do on the project as a whole, but even if I don't manage to get the game done by the deadline, at least I will be able to say I brought these adorable little guys into the world. Also, title reveal I guess.

Submitted(+2)

the lettering is really well done, and i can't wait to learn more about the adorable little guys :)

Submitted(+1)

Hiya folks! Looks like everyone's working on some great stuff! I wanted to do a Strawberry Jam for a while so I'm excited to finish a game in time.

I'm last-minute rushing through work on a short point-and-click about a character who needs to "stretch out" before their (extremely well endowed) boyfriend visits them for valentines day! It's a bit goofy but I wanted to make something smutty and wholesome. Hope you like it!

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

Ha! We've wound up with almost exactly the same plot hook -- mine's about a gal who needs to get stretched out in time for her anniversary with her girlfriend! I love it. And that art is GORGEOUS.