Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Final Day--I guess it's time to start working on a game!

A topic by benergize created Jun 29, 2022 Views: 256 Replies: 19
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted(+1)

Kidding. How's everyone's last day going? Everybody ready?

Submitted(+1)

As always, I need just another extra day!  ^.^

Jam Host

I mean, there is still time if you want to start right now!

Submitted

Me making half of my game in 24 hours hahaha

Submitted

That's the spirit! :D

Submitted

Yes also, can someone explain to me how to make people playtest on Inform 7? I just don't know how to publish a game with that engine! How will I put it on Itch, lmao?

Submitted

I dont use Inform, sorry :/

Perhaps it's better if you ask at intfiction.org, a very active forum with a lot of people using it.

Submitted

Oh okay, nice! I'm already learning it to make games, I don't want to also learn how to publish them haha

Submitted

Once your game is compiled, you should end up with a z5 or z8 file (if compiling to a z-code file) or ulx or gblorb file (if compiling to Glulx). I suspect you'll have a gblorb file. Just upload that file to your itch.io game page and provide instructions on how to run it using an appropriate interpreter. See ifwiki.org for a list of recommended interpreters for various platforms.

In the longer term, you can look into providing a browser playable version using Parchment. Instructions to do this are available in the Inform 7 help, but the templates and other files that it uses are out of date. Do a search for Parchment on intfiction.org and you should find some more up-to-date instructions.

Submitted

Yes, I get this weird .gblorb file... I'll just put it on Itch as I don't even know how to playtest it myself! LOL! I didn't even know you needed an interpreter!

Submitted

I just downloaded your game. It works fine. I use Windows Glulxe.

Submitted(+1)

Oh, tysm! That's a relief!

Host

I never finish...  :(

Submitted

¬.¬

(+1)

Thanks for the effort and dedication. Just a few hours to go. Congratulations for all the participants and organizers.

Submitted(+1)

Since a lot of us wouldn't have a working game without your help, thanks to you, Jade. You make it possible.

Submitted(+1)

Yes, he is also one of my beta testers! :D

And an active Spanish player, playing... EVERYTHING! ^.^

Good job there!

Submitted(+1)

He tested mine, as well. I also saw that he tested Dee's game. Jade is certainly a prolific tester.

Submitted

Me too, uh, four. Jade helped me with a couple obvious things I should've seen and a couple really useful features to have. I'm grateful for Jade's help, for sure.

Because as silly as I feel when testers find bugs, especially ones I should've seen or even said "you know, I should do quick engineering testing on that" (and then don't,) it's a relief to know there's that much less I got blindsided by.

When someone else slugs through some opaque stuff to point out things that'd  be useful, it isn't just about the bugs fixed--it's about the mental energy saved and redirected to maybe adding one more cool thing.

Submitted

I took a nice long bike ride a few days ago. I was sick of staring at a computer screen, and I thought maybe activity would help me focus.

It did, but I needed a day's rest first. Which almost defeated the purpose.

In all seriousness, these sorts of deadlines do get me going -- it's just there's an optimal amount of stress we need that really helps us write productive, relatively bug-free code.

I feel like I should and could have done more for a chunk of time between (looks at repo commit dates) May 16 and June 21, but my testers gave lots of good feedback that let me implement some low-risk, high-reward stuff.