SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DEVLOG] Lil Beans

A topic by Harrie created Jul 10, 2016 Views: 943 Replies: 18
Viewing posts 1 to 18
(+9)

Hey !! I've been busy today so im like a day late to starting ・°.( ´꒫` ).°・

but! I'm hopin to make a tiny lil farming sim !! I don't expect to make a full game in this jam but it'll be fun to try !!!

This is jill !! just thinking abt how i want things to look at the moment. I'll be working in construct2 because im a coding baby, but i've spent a lil time getting used to it! I know how to make things move and interact with stuff (○`ᵕ´○)✧
the biggest thing im gonna have to work on is a time system (´꒫` ;)..

Anyway I've like not put any thought into the story yet rip me, but I'm thinking of basing it on jack & the beanstalk :o

Host(+1)

ohhhhhhhHHH IM YELLING THIS IS SO CUTE!! i love your concept art and your pixels are so charming ;;o;; i can't wait to play this omgg

wAA thank you !!!!!!

(+1)

Everything looks pretty

excited to see how this will turn out!

Submitted(+1)

Oh man this is beautiful! I love the cute little pixel sprite and how happy and cheerful the game looks.

Submitted(+1)

This is such a good look!! And I think the Jack and the Beanstalk theme has a lot of potential, too! It could be pretty cute.

(+1)

so adorable!! I already love Jill

(+1)

This looks precious, ahh. I am weak for farming sims, and this is just!! The colour and style is so endearing, I love Jill already.

Submitted(+1)

plants are my jam!

Submitted(+1)

Wow, this is totally adorable, enjoying the bright colors. I need more pure bright games in my life tbh.

(1 edit) (+3)

aH gosh thank you guys!!! you're too kind ;a;

I don't have a massive amount to show cause I'm like in the middle of animating at the moment haha, please excuse the mess;; but !!

I took a break to make a clock!! so that means so far i've got the camera, movement, & clock working (○`ᵕ´○)

(+3)

i've been busy coding !!

I have now done:

- Pause menu: Pressing Enter or Esc stops the timer & changes layout, switching control to the cursor which tells you about what you're hovering over

- Item select: the game recognises whether you've set an item to the X key or not in the pause menu, and tells you if you havent.

- Plants! Or well, squares for now. You can water green squares, if they have been watered then the next day they will turn blue and solid. You can then water them again, and they'll turn turquoise and you can pick them. The days it takes for a plant to grow can be changed!

- Directional cursor: I'll hide it in the final game, but depending on which way you're facing you can interact with the square in front. Since there's no directional sprites at the moment, the square is highlighted!

- Stamina: If you use up all your stamina, you black out and are forced to the next day, and only start with a tiny amount of stamina. If you go to sleep, you'll regenerate much more stamina and be able to do way more in a day!

Host(+1)

aaa it's really exciting to see the start of your systems!! you've got a lot so far!!

(+1)

this looks so cute, good job!!

Submitted(+1)

It's really exciting to see it coming together!! Aaaaa I can't wait to see this finished

Jam Host(+1)

CUTE ART !!! i love farming sims god... i'm excited..........

(+4)

wAH sorry for like, being gone for like two days!!!

I spent all of tuesday coding custom movement which is snapped to the grid (which is unnecessarily difficult), and also a house, n i was really excited to show you all

but doing this broke like. everything!! the "set variable" system function just wasn't doing anything at all, so things like my clock and items and plants just didn't work anymore.
it made me very upset and trying to fix it made me so frustrated that i had to take a day off ・°.( ´꒫` ).°・

This morning I went through and reorganised all my code. theres still some bugs, the clock is still a little broken but im working on it (´꒫` ;)..

There's one more thing i'd like to do for movement and thats allow you to tap to change direction - but im not sure how i'm gonna do that yet. maybe make it wait a split second before enabling movement?? idk i'll figure s/t out

Anyway after i finish fixing stuff the next thing i'll code next is probably a planting area? instead of being enabled on the Entire Farm. I also wanna make npcs but thatll be a Lot of work so im focusing on making the farm work first.

(+2)

Hey! I've not done much today since Mafia started again on ZU lmAO

but i've made a lil farming space and got that tap to change direction thing working!

wAH life is a thing that exists, unfortunately・°.( ´꒫` ).°・

I've not done a great deal like. all week rip my ass, but! I've been experimenting a little with music n made?? this?? http://captainharriedev.tumblr.com/post/1477723760... but idk what im doing rly lmaO ill make something i like eventually, my hope is to make some music for the game

but anyway the only real new thing i have to show is that I've started on dialogue?

this lil lady is the one who sells you seeds n stuff

I've learnt quite a lot during this jam!! But like I guessed, I haven't finished in the space of this jam lmao, and I won't finish in the next few days.

I had hoped to get around to the more interesting visuals but I also didn't want to start making it look pretty before I'd actually got a functional game lmAO.... so ! like, I've made a new blog

http://captainharriedev.tumblr.com/

I'll keep posting updates there! I'll also continue to post here if I have more updates before the jam ends, but if I dont you know where to find me :o
You can also find my art at http://captainharrie-art.tumblr.com/